Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2009, 09:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Linksys WAG 200G Wireless Home Gateway+MTNL Triband: settings required

Hi all,

I recently got MTNL Triband internet at home. I have a Linksys wireless modem+router (Model no WAG 200G - Wireless Home Gateway).

As expected, the MTNL technician (if you can call him that!) had no clue about the settings, apart from the basic ones such as user name, password, IP address and DNS settings.

I am posting the screenshots of the setup page of the router (the one that you get when you type 192.168.1.1 in your browser).

Can someone please tell me the settings for
1. Encapsulation
2. UBR/CBR/VBR
3. VCI and
4. Multiplexing
5. PCR/SCR (if required in MTNL)
6. DSL Modulation

I have used this same gateway on my Airtel Broadband for about 2 years in Mumbai, and prior to that, with Etisalat broadband in Dubai for ~6 months.

Thanks in advance
Nishant
Attached Thumbnails
Linksys WAG 200G Wireless Home Gateway+MTNL Triband: settings required-screenshot1.jpg  

Linksys WAG 200G Wireless Home Gateway+MTNL Triband: settings required-screenshot2.jpg  

Linksys WAG 200G Wireless Home Gateway+MTNL Triband: settings required-screenshot3.jpg  

Linksys WAG 200G Wireless Home Gateway+MTNL Triband: settings required-screenshot4.jpg  

Old 8th May 2009, 12:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

I have the same one at home running on MTNL, will give you the settings after I reach home tonight.
Old 2nd June 2009, 10:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

I got the settings and was satisfactorily enjoying my MTNL Triband service using these:

1. Encapsulation :RFC 2516 PPPoE
2 .UBR/CBR/VBR :UBR
3. VCI :32 VPI:0
4. Multiplexing :LLC
5. PCR/SCR :not required
6. DSL Modulation: ADSL2+

I was getting amazing speeds, including download speed of 200-220 kbps all the time!

However, since yesterday, modem refuses to connect using ADSL2+ modulation. It connects when I switch that back to 'Multimode' setting. But then the download speed is 25-30 kbps only.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?
Old 2nd June 2009, 11:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
However, since yesterday, modem refuses to connect using ADSL2+ modulation. It connects when I switch that back to 'Multimode' setting. But then the download speed is 25-30 kbps only.

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?
Seems like MTNL caught up on your facebook account and checked at their end. They realised they had you on the wrong plan and corrected their mistake.

25-30 kbps is what I get consistently !
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Seems like MTNL caught up on your facebook account and checked at their end. They realised they had you on the wrong plan and corrected their mistake.

25-30 kbps is what I get consistently !
LOL.

But seriously, how was it working on ADSL2+ modulation previously then? Now the modem/router refuses to connect on ADSL 2+ and only connects on MultiMode setting. I suspect this to be the issue.

Irrespective of the plan speed, the modulation should be the same right?

EDIT - I was getting 18-22 kbps on my Airtel 128 kbps plan earlier. Same wireless gateway. Same laptop. I would expect 256 kbps to be significantly higher!

Last edited by nishantgandhi : 2nd June 2009 at 12:41.
Old 2nd June 2009, 14:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I was getting 18-22 kbps on my Airtel 128 kbps plan earlier. Same wireless gateway. Same laptop. I would expect 256 kbps to be significantly higher!
32 KBps is the max expected out of a 256 Kbps connection. Anything more than 32KBps is improper configuration in the DSLAM/measurement error/altered QOS to capture market.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 2nd June 2009 at 14:17.
Old 2nd June 2009, 17:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

if you are confused. This particular model comes witha cd which has a wizard based setup.
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:06   #8
Team-BHP Support

Nishant,

What plan are you on?

Did your MTNL connection just start?

It might be possible that before your billing cycle starts they dont enforce any speed limiting ? (atleast thats the way it seemed to work for the download allowance on my first few weeks on MTNL).

cya
R
Old 3rd June 2009, 15:44   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nishant,

What plan are you on?

Did your MTNL connection just start?

It might be possible that before your billing cycle starts they dont enforce any speed limiting ? (atleast thats the way it seemed to work for the download allowance on my first few weeks on MTNL).

cya
R
Hi Rehaan,

It was nice meeting you at Leopold's!

I am on the 256 kbps unlimited plan. Your guess is as good as mine. I took the connection in May 1st week and the first bill hasn't been generated yet.

But is there any official announcement/documentation to this effect?
Old 3rd June 2009, 19:34   #10
Team-BHP Support

Nishant,

Likewise.

Your guess is as good as mine, and it might take you 43days to get a MTNL representative on the phone for any clarifications.

The only thing i can add now is this URL : http://59.185.101.2:10080/jsp/Login.jsp

It will let you log in and check your usage (which is fairly useless for you since you are on an Unlimted plan!) - but atleast if there is no documentation of your first few weeks of usage, it might show that they indeed hadn't configured your account for those days.

End of the day, you've paid for 256Kbps and you are getting 25-30KBps. Sounds fair enough (unlike other providers where you pretty much never even touch the cap!)

I like MTNL, great speeds and low latency - but pricey.

cya
R

Most Viewed