Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2005, 22:54   #1
BHPian

Need some advice on a Samsung Digicam!

Hey techies i just brought a samsung digimax 401 digital camera its really cool but can youll please tell me if its worth 11,000rs plus a 256 mb card
Old 1st June 2005, 23:03   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot_rod
Hey techies i just brought a samsung digimax 401 digital camera its really cool but can youll please tell me if its worth 11,000rs plus a 256 mb card
hi

401 = is it a 4 mp cam and have u bought with bill and warranty and how is the pic on screen clarity?

if all this answers r yes then it seems to be a good package with 256 mb card.

mine is a nikon coolpix with bill warranty 3.2 mp , excellent picture clarity and a 128 mb card. had cost me 11500 six months back.

bought a 4 mp nikon cool pix with 256 mb card three months back for 12000 rs

so u can get the comparision as far as nikon is concerned. nikon has a lithium battery and not the usual alkaline pencil cells so it is easy to charge. gives a good standby time. it used sd card and i got a 16 mb card also with my cameras.

other inputs on this thread can help or check out the gadgets section in shifting gears for more.

shubbhi

Last edited by manaa45 : 1st June 2005 at 23:12.
Old 1st June 2005, 23:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

The Digimax 401 features a 4x Digital Zoom.At 4.0 megapixels, the camera deliver crystal clear images suitable for printing & framing or electronic sharing with family and friends. The Digimax 401 is compatible with 8 different power sources (2 x AA alkaline, 2 x Ni-MH, CR-V3 (Lithium), Ni-Cd, 2 x Ni-Zn, 2 x Ni-Mn, I-Pack (SBP-1103) & an optional AC Adapter).

The Digimax 401 features Macro Closeup imaging & has Built-in, SD/MMC Memory Cards compatiblity. The Digimax 401 allow users to attach voice memos to still images & also captures high quality video clips with sound at a maximum rate of 20fps subject only to the capacity of the memory card in use.

The Digimax 401 offers multiple Flash Modes, including Auto, Auto & Red-eye reduction, Slow sync, Fill-in flash & Flash off. And the 401 allows the user to choose between Normal, B&W & Sepia Tone for images for a choice in artistic effects.

Features:

4.0 Megapixel Digital Camera
Create Photo-Quality 11-by-15-inch Enlargements
4x Digital Zoom Lens
Custom White Balance
1.6" Color TFT LCD Monitor
16 MB Internal Memory (memory card not included)
SD Card (Optional)
Movie Clips with Sound
Voice Recording - Voice Memo in still images
9 Photo Frames
Image Rotation, Resizing, and Trimming Functions
Optical Viewfinder
Date Imprinting - Storage Driver
Multiple Language Support
Video Out (NTSC/PAL Selectable)
Uses 2 "AA" Alkaline Batteries (Included)
(Rechargeable NiMH Recommended)

I'd say it's worth it. Don't worry.

Shan2nu
Old 1st June 2005, 23:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
The Digimax 401 features a 4x Digital Zoom.At 4.0 megapixels, the camera deliver crystal clear images suitable for printing & framing or electronic sharing with family and friends. The Digimax 401 is compatible with 8 different power sources (2 x AA alkaline, 2 x Ni-MH, CR-V3 (Lithium), Ni-Cd, 2 x Ni-Zn, 2 x Ni-Mn, I-Pack (SBP-1103) & an optional AC Adapter).

The Digimax 401 features Macro Closeup imaging & has Built-in, SD/MMC Memory Cards compatiblity. The Digimax 401 allow users to attach voice memos to still images & also captures high quality video clips with sound at a maximum rate of 20fps subject only to the capacity of the memory card in use.

The Digimax 401 offers multiple Flash Modes, including Auto, Auto & Red-eye reduction, Slow sync, Fill-in flash & Flash off. And the 401 allows the user to choose between Normal, B&W & Sepia Tone for images for a choice in artistic effects.

Features:

4.0 Megapixel Digital Camera
Create Photo-Quality 11-by-15-inch Enlargements
4x Digital Zoom Lens
Custom White Balance
1.6" Color TFT LCD Monitor
16 MB Internal Memory (memory card not included)
SD Card (Optional)
Movie Clips with Sound
Voice Recording - Voice Memo in still images
9 Photo Frames
Image Rotation, Resizing, and Trimming Functions
Optical Viewfinder
Date Imprinting - Storage Driver
Multiple Language Support
Video Out (NTSC/PAL Selectable)
Uses 2 "AA" Alkaline Batteries (Included)
(Rechargeable NiMH Recommended)

I'd say it's worth it. Don't worry.

Shan2nu
well said shan

i think hot road has got all the answers.

shubbhi
Old 1st June 2005, 23:50   #5
SMG
BHPian

Well, hot_rod, I could have certainly helped you had you asked this question before making a purchase! Because it seems that (If specs given by Shan are correct) this camera doesn't have any optical zoom! Digital Zoom is pretty useless and not to be considered at all.

If your intended use is just point-n-shoot (for some family pictures) then vitually any camera would serve the purpose . So you will enjoy your Samsung Camera anyway.

Last edited by SMG : 1st June 2005 at 23:56. Reason: typo
Old 2nd June 2005, 10:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If your intended use is just point-n-shoot (for some family pictures) then vitually any camera would serve the purpose . So you will enjoy your Samsung Camera anyway.
That's why people buy such cameras. If you want real good quality, nothing less than an SLR will do. Even my old Pentax K1000 is anyday better than any off these normal digi cams.

But they're good VFM if you're a point and shoot type.

Shan2nu
Old 2nd June 2005, 10:32   #7
SMG
BHPian

Shan, there is nothing high tech or high ticket thing with regards to Optical Zoom, I don't know about Samsung but almost every Digi camera (Canon, Oly, Fuji, Sony, Pentax, Panasonic,Kodak, Konica Minolta..) now comes with minimum 3X optical zoom, it is so common that to I got surprized when I heard about this Samsung camera w/o an optical zoom!

And as far as price is concerned a decent Digi cam (3 or 4 megapix , entry level, point-n-shoot) can be had in the price range of $150 to $200!

Even in India, excellent SONY, Canon , Kodak, Casio Digicams are available around Rs 12000 (with reciept).
Old 2nd June 2005, 12:00   #8
Team-BHP Support

For the future digicam buyers:Do not buy any camera with digital zoom. Digital zoom concept is one of the biggest con jobs of the decade.
Old 2nd June 2005, 12:15   #9
Team-BHP Support

Hey Rudra, I think you mean do not buy a camera with ONLY digital zoom, as all digital camera's will have digital zoom!

The industry standard for Optical zoom is 3x at present, which is offered on almost every digicam costing more than about Rs.7,000 today.
Old 2nd June 2005, 12:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

I dont get this - is Hot Rod asking for opinions on how much this camera is worth AFTER he's actually bought it? Whats the point?
Old 2nd June 2005, 12:31   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
Hey Rudra, I think you mean do not buy a camera with ONLY digital zoom, as all digital camera's will have digital zoom!
Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for correcting old man's comment...
Old 2nd June 2005, 15:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

so... which digicam in the market has a good optical zoom and vfm both??

can anyone comment?
Old 2nd June 2005, 15:16   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
which digicam in the market has a good optical zoom and vfm both??
Well, I think the Panasonic DMC-LZ1 & LZ2 is great value for a 6x optical zoom and good image quality plus an image stabiliser.

But, my next camera is probably going to be the Panasonic DMC FX7K . My shaky hands need the image stabiliser!
Old 2nd June 2005, 22:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

i think its a really good price and that too with a 256mb card..i have a 2mp Nikon coolpix which i got abt 1year back for 12500Rs.
Old 5th June 2005, 19:14   #15
BHPian

Hey guys thanks a lot on your feedback and no my cam does not have optical zoom i was a bit sad but even then the picture quality is awesome for a 4 mp camera with the zoom if you put in the correct settings i am really happy with it!thanks again!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks