Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2009, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Headphones length

Note: mods don't put this in the mobile phone queries thread, not asking about mobile specs so yea

Sup guys,

My n81 headphones are too short. Quality isn't great either.

Different people like different lengths as to where they keep their device while working out and these ones are not to my comfort.

I need one that is 3.5mm
I need one that is long, like really long.

Where do I go about looking for these and money isn't a concern, reliability is

I've heard of increasing the length of headphones using connectors?

Help please

EDIT:

I mean earphones, not headphones

Last edited by Gagan.js : 13th May 2009 at 22:02.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

why not wireless (bluetooth)

alternately, but a 3.5 mm extension cord
Old 13th May 2009, 22:18   #3
BHPian

A friend just told me extension cables might turn out to be cheaper than buying new earphones.

Apparently they only cost like 50rs? How is the quality if these are coming so cheap?
Old 13th May 2009, 22:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

they're just wire :P (not to mention safer too. at work, have lost count of how many times I've had them die when my chair ran over them. if it had been headphone cables, I'd be broke ! )

the 50 bucks ones work quite fine, unless you believe in the voodoo behind the higher priced stuff, in which case you and your money will soon be parted

Last edited by greenhorn : 13th May 2009 at 22:22.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:22   #5
Senior - BHPian

As far as possible, make sure to not use connectors/extension cables and stuff. They only degrade the quality. What kind of budget are you looking at? And what length do you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn
the 50 bucks ones work quite fine, unless you believe in the voodoo behind the higher priced stuff, in which case you and your money will soon be parted
If it was a digital transmission, then yes. Unfortunately, it's not. And a change of medium always results in signal degradation. I do not believe in things like Monster cables, but you can't just go splicing or extending wires using cheap connectors. They do degrade the quality.

Last edited by pranavt : 13th May 2009 at 22:24.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
As far as possible, make sure to not use connectors/extension cables and stuff. They only degrade the quality.
can you please explain how?
Old 13th May 2009, 22:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

do you want only the headphone or mic+headphone.

yes you can go with the extension cord or buy a blue tooth headphone.

edit : go for extension cord it will not degrade the quality

Last edited by karankapoor : 13th May 2009 at 22:26.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
can you please explain how?
If you want to use a wire for long distances, the wires have to be twisted to minimise interference and signal loss. And changing the conductor multiple times also results in signal loss due to heat and resistance.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you want to use a wire for long distances, the wires have to be twisted to minimise interference and signal loss. And changing the conductor multiple times also results in signal loss due to heat and resistance.
if you're running low/line level signals, possibly, but the output of a headphone jack is as good as the output of an amplifier. its low impedance, and so is the headphone. if what you said applied to headphones, you could be able to hook up a length of such cable to the headphone alone and listen to the interference !

doesnt happen to speakers, doesnt happen to earphones, unless you have some sort of headphone amp, or active speakers
while attenuation is possible, it wont reduce the quality of the sound, only reduce the volume slightly.

Last edited by greenhorn : 13th May 2009 at 22:33.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:31   #10
BHPian

The ones I got with my n81 are not even long enough to go from my ears to my front pockets.

I will be using these while running, yes n81 music quality is very good so I don't need an ipod or any other device.

Why not extensions pranav, is the loss in quality so bad?
Price I have no idea how much one would cost, never bought them, somehow none of my earphones have ever died on me
Old 13th May 2009, 22:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagan.js View Post
The ones I got with my n81 are not even long enough to go from my ears to my front pockets.

I will be using these while running, yes n81 music quality is very good so I don't need an ipod or any other device.

Why not extensions pranav, is the loss in quality so bad?
Price I have no idea how much one would cost, never bought them, somehow none of my earphones have ever died on me
If you're running, then I doubt it'll make a difference since you won't be paying 100% attention to the music anyways. But the loss tends to be noticeable, and if the extension is of a bad quality, you will lose sound to heat energy, however minimal. It's relative I suppose. Others might not notice a difference between a pair of rs.100 headphones going through 3, 20 rupee extension cables and rs.2000 headphones. But I do notice it. Your mileage may vary.

In any case, it's just 50 bucks, try it out for yourself imo. You'll be the best judge.
Old 13th May 2009, 22:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

the only loss in quality happens when either one of the wires gets cut, or if the connectors arent perfect, in which case , it will be drastic and you'll lose sound in one of the channels, or lose bass /vocals in both ( in the case the ground connection/wire has issues)

I've tried listening to my philips HP 805/Sony XD 200/creative EP 630 with and without a 20 rupee cord, and never noticed a difference. Maybe these particular ones were just well built. At any rate, I suppose adding a few hundred rupees and a brand to them should help improve the sound, right ?

Last edited by greenhorn : 13th May 2009 at 22:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks