Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2009, 15:34   #1
D-Man

Iphone - now $100 since Iphone 3G S (speed) launched

I guess iphone is now out in the market for $99 today on apple.com. With service or without service i feel cheated. Purchased one in October for $ 500 ish that along with my existing service and agreement extension.

So now the Hype is proven just like Motorola Razor. Good that I am a blackberry fan who tried to love apple once. Blackberrys are worth every paise. What say?

Old 9th June 2009, 15:39   #2
BHPian

99 dollars are you sure??That's a steal. Where are my long lost cousins in the states ??
Old 9th June 2009, 15:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Man View Post
I guess iphone is now out in the market for $99 today on apple.com. With service or without service i feel cheated. Purchased one in October for $ 500 ish that along with my existing service and agreement extension.
Strange that you feel cheated when almost everyone knew that the new price was a premium price, and Apple was cashing in on the hype. You paid for the `innovator' tag. I remember even some month back an article stating Apple's intention to drastically cut the iphone price.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:52   #4
D-Man

pranav99: check apple.com and choose default country as usa
Vasudeva: i knew i paid the innovator tag when i purchased the first gens couple of years back. While 3G launch the market was pretty consistant/stable. It was an innovator tag when the first 3Gs got sold for a few grands. I purchased it when it was quite stabalized. I thought it might just end up being a Treo for non blackberry users.

Old 9th June 2009, 15:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

As they have launched a new Version with 32 gig yesterday, so i believe its the pricing of old iPhone.

And its bound to happen once product sales are over the threshold cutoff and its always been specially with mobile phones.

so if you dont wanna feel cheated, dont buy a product right after launch.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vasudeva: i knew i paid the innovator tag when i purchased the first gens couple of years back.
No offence meant. All i wanted to say that one has to prepared to pay extra for being the first with the latest. This happens in almost all products, and especially with hip, electronic products. However, I would rather be last than the first. N95 was launched at around 37K, and I bought one for 27K and an additional one for 18K.
Old 9th June 2009, 15:58   #7
BHPian

This is the price of the 3G iPhone I guess. Apple launched the 3G S yesterday, with some new features, and more retarded pricing. Details here.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:00   #8
D-Man

Sunny:- Pretty consistant in cases of Blackberries and Treos i would say. Also June 9 2008 was when Iphone 3g was launched. Buying it in october should not be termed right after launch. Today being June 9 2009 its a year since first launch.

I just think Iphone is in between a toy & business phone and hence such a sloggish price curve. Not evident in many other manufacturers.

Old 9th June 2009, 16:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sunny:- Pretty consistant in cases of Blackberries and Treos i would say. Also June 9 2008 was when Iphone 3g was launched. Buying it in october should not be termed right after launch. Today being June 9 2009 its a year since first launch.

I just think Iphone is in between a toy & business phone and hence such a sloggish price curve. Not evident in many other manufacturers.
Oh, i thought you bought right after launch.

And yes you are right, IPhone has been a total success much more than Apple anticipated and hence the price curve and strange thing is that there is not much of a competition.
Old 9th June 2009, 16:09   #10
BHPian

But doesnt this have a link up with the AT&T thingy? Can I ask my friend to just pick it up off the shelf? Is this possible for 99$?
Old 9th June 2009, 16:10   #11
BHPian

but it is not for all.. there is a *, saying (*Qualified customers only.)
Old 9th June 2009, 16:13   #12
D-Man

Apple always has this 'Qualified' Customers thingy. There is a work around to this as many must be knowing.

Vasudeva: no offense taken. Completly understand your perspective and appreciate your opinions.

Old 9th June 2009, 17:18   #13
BHPian

I would love to buy the iPhone for 99$. But this involves a AT&T contract. Anyone knows if:

If someone there can buy it without a contract for 99$? Guess that's not possible.

What if someone there buys the phone with the contract and cancels the contract? Should the phone be returned? Any idea?

Any (legal) workarounds?
Old 9th June 2009, 17:33   #14
BHPian

that $99 is still with a contract

Earlier: $199 with contract
$599 without contract (pre-paid/pay-as-you-go)

Now if it is $99 with contract, expect the PAYG to be around $500

Edit: Here are the updated prices:
Want to upgrade to an iPhone 3G S? Don’t want a contract? Here are the final prices

Last edited by abhi182 : 9th June 2009 at 17:43.
Old 9th June 2009, 17:57   #15
Team-BHP Support

Its with contract and for 8GB sold in US, 16 GB is for 199 but the 3G S model and 299 for 32 GB.

I am hoping that Airtel atleast offers an exchange/upgrade offer for original 3G buyers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks