Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2009, 12:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Not ready-made. Contact any network installation guy, he will be able to crimp RJ45 connectors on suitable lengths of surplus Cat5 cables. Check with computer shops nearby - they would be able to put you in touch with someone.
Unless you also want to sit out in the comfort of a garden with your laptop, why would you want to keep it near a window. Half the RF power will be wastefully directed outside the building. Instead, keep it near the staircase (assuming it is an internal staircase) - this will allow some of the signal to reach the adjacent floors too.

Also, routing the Ethernet cable would be the easiest via the staircase along where the ceiling joins the wall (stuck with hotmelt glue to the wall if you don't want casing-capping)
i contacted one of those guy. he wasn't able to do so. guess i will have to keep finding someone who will help me make a custom one.

we don't have a garden, streets on three sides of house. both the staircase are from outside. we have a public ground opposite to our home, so if i can use net while sitting on the ground, it would be gr8. that's for another day though.

as for routing ethernet cable, there is a route that has already been made by the telephone lines that connect modem(ground floor) with phone(located on first floor), have been like this since '98 when we first got the dialup
but that's a long route, which span across one floor and two balcony and a living room.

that's why i am having trouble finding an Ethernet cord that long. i have almost bought the router, but still working it out. i guess best would be to make use of wi-fi extender link provided by mask and take another step of finding ethernet if that doesn't work out.

will keep you all updated.

thanks for your opinions
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:02   #17
Team-BHP Support

Get an ethernet cable and connect the modem and wifi roouter, you can always draw it at shorter length if you have windows on the same side. Slight eye sore which can be covered up if you use good external ducts and might require to drill holes on window to allow the cable in.

Leave the wifi in the first floor so that you get best reception in 2nd and ground floor also. I had a linksys WRT50G (iirc) with 2 antenna which worked well in my old house since it was placed near to window, one antenna was kept vertical and the other horizontal. I used to get signal all through out the 4500 sq foot (2floors) and outside to about 50 mts lol.

Make sure you secure the wifi connection and change the default passwords for wifi and the bsnl modem.
Old 22nd June 2009, 13:03   #18
BHPian

If you can tell me the length of the cable you would need, I can try and get one done from the guy who does our office network. However, I would recommend that if you are going to run the ethernet through an existing duct, you should run the cable first and then get RJ45 connectors crimped on both ends. Someone would need to do it at your place.

There are a few computer shops in Sayajigunj too. You might want to talk to them.
Old 22nd June 2009, 16:31   #19
BANNED

As per the norms on a UTP cable you can have a run of up to 100m. Some people go longer, but I follow the statement - Either it is Ethernet or it is not, i.e. no playing with the specs. Also, in my post I had misspelt the word Omni!
Old 30th June 2009, 02:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
If you can tell me the length of the cable you would need, I can try and get one done from the guy who does our office network. However, I would recommend that if you are going to run the ethernet through an existing duct, you should run the cable first and then get RJ45 connectors crimped on both ends. Someone would need to do it at your place.

There are a few computer shops in Sayajigunj too. You might want to talk to them.
as of now the plans are on hold. my brother bought data card of airtel for his laptop. though we bought the router, he travels a lot to pune, banglore, so he says its gud for him. so as of now it is being used.

once he has moved permanently to Pune, we will setup the wi-fi for my parents need.

i talked to one of the computer shop guy in sayajigunj and he is ready with ethernet cable to connect router with modem. i just have to give him green signal to come and install it. so the problem would be solved.

right now its on hold for a month. will be done on 25th july when my brother leaves for Pune.

hopefully all will go well in a months time.

appreciate your opinion guys.

thanks
Old 15th August 2009, 09:27   #21
Senior - BHPian

an update

hello all

the time has come to bring in another router.

the linksys router that my brother bought, unfortunately didn't work good(had some technical issue) and was returned for refund.

now my bro is travelling to bangalore next week and was wondering if a wireless G+ router will be available there.

can some members from bangalore give me street address for some computer shops that has G+ router(linkysys preferred.) and how much would be approx cost for the same?

would really appreciate it.

Thank You
Old 16th August 2009, 13:21   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Here is a link to a simple directional antenna mod (I've tested it and it works):

Make a Wi-Fi Extender
Yes it does work. Thanks mate.
I needed my wi-fi router to throw one floor up and through three rooms. Earlier it just made it up the stairwell and to the first room. Now it reaches the second room, and the signal is pretty strong.
Of course my assembly is quite crude, so maybe with a bigger reflector and more attention to detail I shall achieve my goal. What a great idea!

Last edited by filcord : 16th August 2009 at 13:25.
Old 17th August 2009, 09:16   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Yes it does work. Thanks mate.
I needed my wi-fi router to throw one floor up and through three rooms. Earlier it just made it up the stairwell and to the first room. Now it reaches the second room, and the signal is pretty strong.
Of course my assembly is quite crude, so maybe with a bigger reflector and more attention to detail I shall achieve my goal. What a great idea!
Glad to know it worked for you too!

Cheers...
Old 17th August 2009, 09:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
can some members from bangalore give me street address for some computer shops that has G+ router(linkysys preferred.) and how much would be approx cost for the same?
Ask your brother to visit S.P. Road of Bangalore near town hall. He can reach through many city bus from different places in Bangalore. S. P. Road is also near to City Market. But be prepare for bargaining stuff there in S. P. Road.

IMHO LinkSys router would not cost you more than 2000 Rs. But need to check.
Old 17th August 2009, 13:01   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Ask your brother to visit S.P. Road of Bangalore near town hall. He can reach through many city bus from different places in Bangalore. S. P. Road is also near to City Market. But be prepare for bargaining stuff there in S. P. Road.

IMHO LinkSys router would not cost you more than 2000 Rs. But need to check.
Thanks Anuj

So basically S.P road is filled with computer shop if i am not wrong. can you name some popular computer shop there? i will tell him to bargain though.

thanks
Old 17th August 2009, 13:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Thanks Anuj

So basically S.P road is filled with computer shop if i am not wrong. can you name some popular computer shop there? i will tell him to bargain though.

thanks
There are many shops over there in SP Road. Just have to visit and hop around few shops before finalizing the deal.

Otherwise if you want every things (like warranty and guarantee etc.) your brother can visit one shop at MG Road Computer Warehouse Online - Buy Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Accessories, Laptops and Electronics

For many computer hardwares this shop guarantees minimum price in Bangalore. I prefer both the places depending upon hardware requirement. You can download pricelist in excel format and compare the prices. So many people visit this shop so before going there you need to finalize model number etc.
Old 19th August 2009, 17:32   #27
Awaiting Email Confirmation

hey, i am in a similar problem
three storeyed house
current MTNL Triband (512kbps unlimited) router on second floor (not movable)
but i am thinking of N type router (longer distance transmission and higher speeds of transmission)
though its a little expensive, there wont be signal issues in the entire house (infact even my neighbours will be able to use my connection with ease, so i'll have to make it a protected access! )
can u guys suggest a good N type router?
am looking at D-Link DIR-655 or DIR-615
can u suggest a better one?

Looking for a N type router preferably with USB 2.0 port to connect my printer/external HDD to the network.
And the wireless network should work with Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Windows.
Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th August 2009 at 17:49. Reason: Please use Report post instead to notify mod team. Thanks
Old 19th August 2009, 20:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

For good range go for Cisco (linksys). Check their website for different options
Old 19th August 2009, 22:51   #29
BHPian

I use netgear and no issues at all ! forget 3 storeys, my friends access it sometimes 3 houses away ( with my permission ofcourse )

I suppose more than the brand, its type of router that matters for coverage . For eg 'G' May not have good range but anything 'G+' onwards like 'N' , 'N1' will have good range
Old 4th September 2009, 14:46   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey chevelle how is the setup, is it done?

We have range booster(D-Link) available in market.which will enhance the single transmission of one wireless router to many floors,it depends upon the range of the booster you purchase.you need not purchase 2/3 router for each floor.This booster will solve ur problem.

Purchase one wireless router & Range booster,your job is done.
Link-sys is very good,provided if you are willing to use all the features that it supports, else you can purchase D-Link DIR-655,a decent one.
You can reach signal even in the park i.e front of your house.

PM me if you have any doubts?

Last edited by Ramsagar : 4th September 2009 at 14:48.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks