Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2009, 09:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

Wireless step for 3-storeyed building

Hello

I have bsnl broadband internet on the ground floor of my house.

i plan to go wireless, for which i was wondering which router should i buy, which could stream the signal across three floors from the ground floor.

i looked up for linksys G router, but its broadcasting range is very less and i doubt it will broadcast signal across other floors.

i was looking for G+ router that has good range but didn't find anywhere in Vadodara.

If anyone can suggest some solution i would be very grateful

p.s: the current modem cannot be moved from its place to other floors

thanks

maulik
Old 14th June 2009, 11:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you put the router in first floor, then both ground and second floor should get signal.

I stay on 6th floor, signal is decent enough on society's garden (No walls in between, router is just next to window that faces garden).

Of course, walls / water tanks / microwave ovens would create dead spots at various places inside home.

So in worst case, you would need to buy three WiFi routers. One for each floor and link them together. It would help if all routers are placed near window.

This way all routers will be part of the same network and net connection can be shared across home.

Total cost would be approx 10k (For buying 2 more routers + antenna)
Old 14th June 2009, 12:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
If you put the router in first floor, then both ground and second floor should get signal.
thanks for ur suggestion net freak

i can't move the current bsnl modem to first floor, as our computer room is on ground floor.

regarding two separate router, its a gud idea. the current router is not a wireless router, so i will have to invest in 3 routers.

so if i understood you correctly, i need to keep one wi-fi router on ground floor, broadcast the signal, catch it from second wi-fi router on 2nd and do the same for 3rd? is that what i should do?

and antenna for what purpose?

Note from Mod : Please take the time to type out your posts in full words as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid the use of SMS language (gud = good, ur = your, etc), and please take the time to re-read your post for typos before submitting. Thanks.

for all three router, i will have to use G routers i guess..

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th June 2009 at 15:55. Reason: Please see the note that has been put at the end of your post by the Support Team.
Old 14th June 2009, 13:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

Keep the routers next to window. Use a directional antenna. Good links online for DIY, and point it such that it points towards upwards. You will get amazing signal anywhere
Old 14th June 2009, 13:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
... i can't move the current bsnl modem to first floor, as our computer room is on ground floor. ...
You don't have to move the BSNL router. Most of the BSNL boxes have 4 Ethernet ports. You just have to run Ethernet cables to the other floors to connect to the wireless routers.
Old 14th June 2009, 13:23   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
You don't have to move the BSNL router. Most of the BSNL boxes have 4 Ethernet ports. You just have to run Ethernet cables to the other floors to connect to the wireless routers.
i thought about this, and felt a gud option. but due to the design of 30 year old house its difficult to procure such a long Ethernet cord. nevertheless will give it a try. on second thoughts, the same will have to be done for 3rd floor too and that again is a long distance too. lets see how it goes.

thanks for your opinion

@tsk
the router is near the window, once i procure the wireless one(a week's time) will get a directional antenna too and try to transmit signal upwards. if this doesn't work, will hv to go for Ethernet cord option.

thanks for your opinion.

appreciate your help
Old 14th June 2009, 13:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so if i understood you correctly, i need to keep one wi-fi router on ground floor, broadcast the signal, catch it from second wi-fi router on 2nd and do the same for 3rd? is that what i should do?
Exactly.

Quote:
and antenna for what purpose?
To ensure that all 3 routers have decent signals among themselves. There would be a concrete layer + tiles between each floor.

If you keep antenna + router near window, this would makes things easier.

First try without buying any antenna.

Quote:
for all three router, i will have to use G routers i guess..
I think all routers in market would be at least G.

This is what I would do:
  1. Buy just one WiFi router.
  2. Keep it near Window on ground floor.
  3. See if you are getting good signal on first floor on laptop [If laptop is near Window]
  4. If it signal is not good. Buy bigger antenna for Router.
  5. When things work, start adding routers for 1st, 2nd floor.
Old 14th June 2009, 13:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think all routers in market would be at least G.

This is what I would do:
  1. Buy just one WiFi router.
  2. Keep it near Window on ground floor.
  3. See if you are getting good signal on first floor on laptop [If laptop is near Window]
  4. If it signal is not good. Buy bigger antenna for Router.
  5. When things work, start adding routers for 1st, 2nd floor.
Thanks for clearly explaining

what i was thinking is, i shall first go DerAlte way of connecting bsnl modem thru ethernet with wi-fi router on first floor. that ways i can save on 3rd router. if that won't be possible i may as well try your method.

the modems are near window, but we can't keep the windows open for security reasons. so wood, glass will be obstructing its broadcasting.

appreciate your help
Old 14th June 2009, 14:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Wood / Glass are no problem for radio signals.

Concrete slabs/ water storage/ Electric wires are biggest spoilsports for WiFi.
Old 14th June 2009, 14:20   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Wood / Glass are no problem for radio signals.

Concrete slabs/ water storage/ Electric wires are biggest spoilsports for WiFi.
i will check it out, let see how it works out.

hoping to get linksys this week. saw one in croma going for 4 grand. lets see how it goes.

thanks for your help
Old 16th June 2009, 12:21   #11
BHPian

i think you can complete installation with two wifi routers. One on ground and other on second. I think first floor will get good signal from both these routers. And connect these two wifi routers to bsnl router using cable. You would just need only one long cable for second floor as wifi router on ground floor will be near to bsnl router.
Old 16th June 2009, 13:13   #12
BHPian

Or rather - just keep a single WiFi router on the second floor, near a window or the stairwell. You should be able to get a respectable signal on the upper and lower floors. I have WiFi routers all over my building and I can get good signals even from routers which are 2-3 floors below me.

As for the brand - I use a Netgear (802.11G) which should cost you around 1800 bucks now. Been using it for 4 yrs. now without any issues. Recommended brands are Linksys, Netgear or D-Link.

Here is a link to a simple directional antenna mod (I've tested it and it works):

Make a Wi-Fi Extender

BTW - I live in Vadodara too!
Old 16th June 2009, 14:06   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... its difficult to procure such a long Ethernet cord ...
Not ready-made. Contact any network installation guy, he will be able to crimp RJ45 connectors on suitable lengths of surplus Cat5 cables. Check with computer shops nearby - they would be able to put you in touch with someone.
Quote:
... the modems are near window, but we can't keep the windows open for security reasons. ...
Unless you also want to sit out in the comfort of a garden with your laptop, why would you want to keep it near a window. Half the RF power will be wastefully directed outside the building. Instead, keep it near the staircase (assuming it is an internal staircase) - this will allow some of the signal to reach the adjacent floors too.

Also, routing the Ethernet cable would be the easiest via the staircase along where the ceiling joins the wall (stuck with hotmelt glue to the wall if you don't want casing-capping)
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Or rather - just keep a single WiFi router on the second floor, near a window or the stairwell. You should be able to get a respectable signal on the upper and lower floors.
As for the brand - I use a Netgear (802.11G) which should cost you around 1800 bucks now. Been using it for 4 yrs. now without any issues. Recommended brands are Linksys, Netgear or D-Link.

Here is a link to a simple directional antenna mod (I've tested it and it works):

BTW - I live in Vadodara too!
I am thinking along the same lines. probably i will keep one wifi router on first floor and connect with ethernet cord. hopefully i will be able to get signal on first and second floors

i saw linksys wrt545gl for rs 3k at croma. will be checking other places in fatehgunj where there is a line of computer shops. hopefully will get good deals over there.

thanks for the link, seems doable

i saw in your location, and about to say that. btw, i stay in karelibaug, near jalaram temple.
Old 22nd June 2009, 11:27   #15
BANNED

The problem comes from the roofs acting as shielding (they have a lot of Rebar). Keeping the Router on the middle floor will help. Also, replacing the antenna with a 5db Moni should help. Here you remove the small stub and replace with a lead to the big boy.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks