Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2009, 20:53   #1
BHPian

Connecting Tata Sky wirelessly

I've a situation and a really tricky one. I've got tatasky in my present house connected to my plasma working fine.

I'm going to shift into a new house where i'll wall mount the plasma, but there is no cable connection point on that particular wall and neither i can do a concealed casing as it'll cross over the whole living area through the ceiling, which obviously my wife won't allow .

I was thinking if there is a way i can wirelessly send the video signals from the tatasky box to the TV ? Not complicated set just a simple sender and reciever technology with no computers involved.
If yes, then where can i get it and what would be the approx cost. Also if somebody is using it then what about the picture clarity ?

Thanks in advance for all your advices.
Old 14th June 2009, 21:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Would bluetooth work? Maybe a blue tooth dongle on the tata-sky receiver beaming to TV which hopefully comes with this feature?
Old 14th June 2009, 21:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

nope. bluetooth has a bandwidth of around 500kbps. it can barely send audio

you need something like
Amazon.com: 5.8GHz Wireless Audio Video Sender 4 Channel Broadcast Transmitter & Receiver with Infrared Remote Control Extender: Electronics

Last edited by greenhorn : 14th June 2009 at 22:07.
Old 14th June 2009, 22:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

You can get TV Senders (try ebay.com). So you have one sender connected to the sky box and the receiver connected to the television. They usually come with a little RF attachement so you can use the remote as well. They work on 2.5Ghz band (I think). I used some for a while years ago and picture quality was fine using normal composite type signal from AV outputs.

Last edited by bigman : 14th June 2009 at 22:04.
Old 14th June 2009, 22:21   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixthsense View Post
I'm going to shift into a new house where i'll wall mount the plasma, but there is no cable connection point on that particular wall and neither i can do a concealed casing as it'll cross over the whole living area through the ceiling, which obviously my wife won't allow .
Simple concealed duct (rectangular shaped ones) which will not be an eyesore, or try the wires through the other room which is behind the living room and drill a hole will let the wire in without being an eyesore Latter is what we have done.
Old 14th June 2009, 23:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

promlem is these are VHF or UHF transmitter. So your neighbour can catch the signal on their TV sets.

Its best to do the conventional way. there are casings available with when fitted will blend with your walls and paints.
Old 15th June 2009, 00:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

Sir Alec,

The 2.4ghz band video senders can be configured with the inbuilt switches so unless a neighbour has a receiving unit with the matched switches he will watch nothing.

The old cheap video senders used to just be simple broadcasteing devices but the newer ones have a dedicated receiver.
Old 15th June 2009, 09:46   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Sir Alec,

The 2.4ghz band video senders can be configured with the inbuilt switches so unless a neighbour has a receiving unit with the matched switches he will watch nothing.

The old cheap video senders used to just be simple broadcasting devices but the newer ones have a dedicated receiver.
Obviously we are looking at an encoded digital link here. I must say i am surprised and happy to learn that such devices really do exist.

Last edited by sgiitk : 15th June 2009 at 09:57.
Old 15th June 2009, 09:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Can you configure it with the Apple TV device. It has both 2.4 and 5.x ghz wifi capability to watch video.
Old 15th June 2009, 14:44   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
Sir Alec,

The old cheap video senders used to just be simple broadcasteing devices but the newer ones have a dedicated receiver.
Any idea where I can buy such a device in Bombay or Pune & what will be the approximate cost?
Old 15th June 2009, 22:14   #11
BHPian

It looks like the thread really caught on with some good ideas mainly around video senders.

The casing as i said is out of question as it will go through the ceiling and doesn't look good.

Has anybody tested these things? I read some reviews on amazon and found that compared to 2.4 ghz, the 5.8 ghz were flawless and didn't have interference issues (microwave, cordless etc.). But i still have my doubts when it comes to displaying the picture on a 42" plasma.

Same question as carboy - is there someplace we can get this in india (preferably bangalore)? I know i can order from ebay, but i don't want to risk it.
Old 16th June 2009, 06:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Buddy, avoid wireless stuff if you can help it. Its bad for health, esp for expecting mothers and infants. Also I really doubt a cheap solution exists that offers clarity and remote-control.

Get the wires by drilling a hole in the wall. This what I have done. The tv room is clean. The room behind it has the wire casing etc.
Old 16th June 2009, 09:02   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Buddy, avoid wireless stuff if you can help it. Its bad for health, esp for expecting mothers and infants
Can you give a cite for this, please?
Old 16th June 2009, 09:24   #14
BHPian

Alternately, opt for a regular non-concealed cable stretching across the wall. Get your wall painted in one of those funky themes having curved design and have your (colored with paint) wire running exactly in sync with the design.
Old 25th June 2009, 13:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

You got lots of suggestions on how to send the video from your set top box to your tv which is away from the box. Some of them are really practical. But....

Even if you manage to send the video (either wirelessly or through co-axials) There is this problem that your set top box is away from the TV, right?

I have a basic question here,
How do you change the channels sitting in front of the TV??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks