Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2007, 11:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

And by the way, about the cops being smarter, if they pursue you and find your speed (through the speed of their vehicle), there is not much any detector can do. Lasers can also be detected (chandigarh).
Old 28th June 2007, 13:01   #17
BHPian

valentine1 is the best .. you can dis assemble it and mount it in a way that no one can tell it is present in the car except the driver of the car
check out the valentine1 website or PM for the links for the DIY hidden displays for V1
Old 26th July 2007, 22:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well here you can just ask to check the radar gun reading and then file a case against the cops and fight the case. You win back your confiscated license like this young fellow did. Read about it here
Old 26th July 2007, 22:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the few ways to get away without being ticketed here in the US.
If at any time a cop catches you for speeding, you have the right to question the authenticity of the radar/laser gun being used. The best thing to say is that you are not convinced that the gun works fine,since you know that you were sticking to the speed limits. Sometimes,the speed detector wouldn't be serviced/checked for a few months together,and there is a margin for error.

I know a few people who've done this,and actually been let off with just a a warning. The cops were forced to go back and check the condition of the gun,or atleast respect the question raised by the driver he caught.
Old 26th July 2007, 22:59   #20
BHPian

listen guys i will help all you guys out, just tell me where can i get my hands on one and how many gs will i have to drop!
Old 14th March 2008, 04:59   #21
BHPian

Laser gun detector

Currently I am in US and I have seen cobra brand laser gun detectors here. I need to know which kind of Laser gun is being used in Delhi/India.
Old 14th March 2008, 11:30   #22
BHPian

Do they use Laser guns here? Or is it some older technology? Somehow all of them measure my cars speed to be about 10kms faster than I actually was going at
Old 14th March 2008, 11:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfhelm View Post
Do they use Laser guns here? Or is it some older technology? Somehow all of them measure my cars speed to be about 10kms faster than I actually was going at

Shouldn't be the case, because the realtime speeds are actually lesser than what you see in you ODO. Of course we have folks in India who have a doctorate in doctoring stuff(pun intended )
Old 14th March 2008, 18:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

The laser detector thing is kind of irritating, beacuse it picks signals from all types of devices, not just speed guns. But my cousins in the Houston have it on all their cars. Keeps beeping all the time, but you know that a cop car is near. Its illegal in some states.

These guys really require it because, one more ticket can cost them their licenses.
Old 14th March 2008, 20:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
The laser detector thing is kind of irritating, beacuse it picks signals from all types of devices, not just speed guns. But my cousins in the Houston have it on all their cars. Keeps beeping all the time, but you know that a cop car is near. Its illegal in some states.

These guys really require it because, one more ticket can cost them their licenses.
More so since its Houston. The detectors pick up the band frequency from store that have a 'bar-code reader'. So many store,so the most common type of band picked up is the X-band.

Its really handy to have,especially when you enter unfamiliar counties,where the cops might be extra-strict about speeds. Shenandoah county is one such place,close to where I work. Gotta be very careful not to exceed 45mph.
Attached Thumbnails
Radar / Laser Detectors-img_2900.jpg  

Old 14th March 2008, 20:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

I got one from Taiwan. Have installed it on my vehicle. It has to date never detected a single signal. I think in mumbai, there are not too many radar guns by the cops.
Old 14th March 2008, 20:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I got one from Taiwan. Have installed it on my vehicle. It has to date never detected a single signal. I think in mumbai, there are not too many radar guns by the cops.
Correct me if I'm wrong,but I feel it'll be another couple of years before these laser/radar guns come into wide use in India. It might be around,but not at a level as seen elsewhere outside India.
Old 14th March 2008, 21:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

You are right Nitin. Radar guns are not so prominent in Mumbai, as say Delhi/ Bangy. Come to think of it, I dont even know if the darned thing works at all. It has beeped only once, in my basement.(God knows why)!!
Old 14th March 2008, 21:20   #29
Senior - BHPian

Probably gave you the assurance...'Alive & beeping'..

Some of the newer ones costing over $250 work in a different way. It'll actually tell you in which direction a laser has been detected. It detects upto 4 laser/radar beams in any direction.
Old 17th March 2008, 12:29   #30
Team-BHP Support

A radar or laser detector will offer you protection if you are not the one hit first.
If its your car which is being targetted by an IO radar or a Laser, you are toast, because by the time you hit the brakes, the cop has the reading.
However if you have a rabbit(a guy who you tail), you will be alerted to the presence of the cop in advance as that guy will be targeted.
This will allow you to slow down.
In Rural america, Laser and IO radars are unheard off, but around major towns like Sacramento, you can find very smart cops.
For example, while coming back from Tahoe, after a long series of winding roads in blinding rain, I came to the crest of the hill, with an inviting downhill straight road as far as the eyes could see.
I stepped on the gas(it was a cobalt) and soon the needle was galloping past 40-50-60mph. suddenly I think I see something parked on the side of the road without any lights.
Instinct tells me to step of the gas and I tap the brakes to stay around 65mph.
suddenly the radar detector goes on full strength beeping like crazy on KA band.
If I had depended on the radar detector to tell me about the cop, I would have been toast, since he had instant- on'd me,.

Same is the case with Laser. Unless you have a black car without front number plates and have used veil liberally on the headlights, you are toast, because by the time you get a reading on laser detector you will be toast.

Most Viewed