Team-BHP - 1TB USB drive for a song
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   1TB USB drive for a song (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/60694-1tb-usb-drive-song.html)

I am planning to buy a 1TB USB drive and got some quotes. I was quoted less than 6K for Seagate FreeAgent 1TB drive (ST310005FDM201), I have paid more for the Western Digital 500GB drive. Meanwhile the Lacie 1TB is around 13K. Apparently, the prices used to be similar, but I don't understand the 60% price drop in case of the Seagate drive.

I am very tempted to buy it at that price. Anyone using this drive?

If you can hold on your temptations then you might get 1 TB at more cheaper price as Storage costs are decreasing faster then Stock Indexes internationally.

I don't need it any cheaper, I need to buy 1TB drive now and I just want to know whether this model has any known issues.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1357060)
I don't need it any cheaper, I need to buy 1TB drive now and I just want to know whether this model has any known issues.

I doubt if anybody has 1TB drives as they were mighty pricey---your price quote comes as a welcome surprise!

But wont they be slow to operate---considering the amount of disk space they have?

Seagate seems to have dropped prices on the FreeAgent recently (100$ drop in US prices since I bought mine). Its an ok drive.

I also have a Maxtor 500GB external drive that's failed thrice in little over a year since I bought it. So I can say that their after sales support is good (Seagate acquired Maxtor in 2006).

Where in Manipal are you buying from ?

Well, I believe there very few External 1 TB takers at this point of time still it should be ok drive.

Kindly note right too many issues are roaming around for Seagate regarding warranty period. Make sure you get the one with 5yr /3yr warranty only. You can cross verify the warranty over seagate website also, once you procure the HDD.

Using one for th past 2 months. No issues. Only thing, it needs an external power source. Dont carry it around, sits on my desk at home. Got this for Rs. 5600/- from Crona. Found it quite cheap for the storage provided wasnt really looking for one.

Till now used up only 80 GB of space.

Didnt check on warranty but the folks there remarked it comes with 3 years but no data recovery.

OT - I am assuming that this is a powered drive. Instead wouldn't you be better off with 2 500 Gb USB powered drives?

FYI - Got these prices from one of the dealers on TE (shipping Rs 150 outside Mumbai)

Western Digital - External Hard Disk's 3.5''

WD 1TB My Book Essential 3.5'' With USB - 5300/-

WD 1TB My Book Home Edition - 6600/-

Seagate - External Hard Disk's

Seagate 1TB FreeAgent 3.5'' With USB - 5275/-

External 2.5'' Hard Disk's

WD 160GB Passport 2.5'' External - 2925/-

WD 500GB Passport 2.5'' External - 5300/-

WD 320GB Passport 2.5'' External' - 3525/-

Seagate 160GB Freeagent GO - 2950/-

Seagate 320GB Freeagent GO - 3675/-

Seagate 500GB Freeagent GO - 5350/-

Maxtor 320GB 2.5'' - 3475/-

Transcend 320GB 2.5'' - 3475/-

I buy all my IT needs from a corporate IT supplier in Udupi. I need this drive as my multimedia storage for the WDTV. At 7200rpm I hope it is fast enough for that purpose.

Quote:

But wont they be slow to operate---considering the amount of disk space they have?
2TB and 3TB USB drives are already available.:)

Samurai -- i am using a Maxtor 1 TB 7200rpm external powered hdd from the last 3 months. I purchased it over ebay for 7K. Use it for movie downloads and will be soon using it along with my home theater projector or lcd

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1357102)
I buy all my IT needs from a corporate IT supplier in Udupi. I need this drive as my multimedia storage for the WDTV. At 7200rpm I hope it is fast enough for that purpose.

2TB and 3TB USB drives are already available.:)

Looks like you are getting closer to your HD viewing dream---do update us with your experience.
I was, on the contrary, planning to go for a 320 GB portable USB drive and then go for the WDTV box. Would there be any limitation, other than disk space, when compared to your plan?

Slightly OT.

What's the maximum partition size WinXP32 can support now? Till SP1 in think it was less than 160GB but that was in 2002-3...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samurai (Post 1357102)
I buy all my IT needs from a corporate IT supplier in Udupi.

Sorry if it came across as a sales pitch - these are just indicative prices for you.

Do any of these come with an Ethernet i/f? I wanted make a q&d home NAS.

Samurai,

I recent bought a 1TB - but i bought the WD MyBook (from chroma - after buying i saw that it is available MUCH cheaper online!! So much for their "low price guarantee"!)

The Seagate (or was it Maxtor?) was cheaper, and was infact 7200rpm (whereas the WD doesn't mention RPM!) -- but i still bought the WD....just a brand preference i guess, plus it shuts off with the computer automatically.

As for the Lacie being 13k, maybe it has some more features? firewire etc?

DerAlte, Ethernet added to any of these 1TB HDDs pushes the price well over 12k if i'm not mistaken. (Probably makes more sense to buy a regular 1TB and then a router w/ USB and some firmware to make it NAS capable.)

cya
R