Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 10:27   #151
Senior - BHPian

Here is what I got when I ran the speed test today.

We have the old 2MBPS plan which is supposed to guarantee 2 mbps always! I have noticed that the speed of downloads (assuming the site supports it) varies vastly from 1/2 mbps to at time 3+. I think that Airtel clubs a few users on each port so you have variable speed. This is understandable as a dedicate 2 mbps line of commercial quality would be upwards of 20,000 per month instead of 3,000 we are paying
Attached Thumbnails
Airtel Broadband Turbo 1299 Plan (Unlimited 512KBps / 1MBps)-speed.jpg  

Old 27th August 2010, 12:20   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Haven't called them up and wrecked havoc yet? Does your phone line have excessive noise? Check the SNR that comes up when you login to the Airtel modem (usually 192.168.1.1 - if you have another router connected to it, may not work). Btw, try Airtel's own speedtest - it is more accurate in the sense it gives your link speed from your home to Airtel's DSLAM.
Yes i called them but they can't really help out so i decided to get the connection disconnected. Sent a disconnection request on 30th July but the connection is still working. Have already sent them email regarding their false billing and speed issues with my disconnection request number but no use.

Airtel is one such company which installed the connection in my house within 24 hours but its taking them more than a month just to disconnect it.

My phone lines are perfect even with Airtel speed test the speeds were same.
Old 27th August 2010, 15:04   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is a list of supported D-Link routers - and most bricks due to a half-baked flash can be "unbricked". I have a Buffalo router, a tricky one to flash a DD-WRT supposedly - but hey, it worked first try!
Oh! So I think mine is supported then.

Maybe next time I have a techie fit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy
I think that Airtel clubs a few users on each port so you have variable speed.
Yes, this is a regular part of the ADSL deal. It should be in the specs somewhere: look for "contention" to find out how many people you could be sharing with. Frankly, I have never really noticed it, and attribute differences in download speed to routing and remote server speeds.

My Worst Ever Download (By the way)

I checked out the software sources for Ubuntu. IIT Chennai is there! Wooooo.... not only within India, but just up the road! Surely that must give me fantastic speeds? Guess what: 6kb/s. What have they got? One of those modems that you put the telephone handset on top of? Some place in Singapore gives me >200.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 27th August 2010 at 15:13. Reason: It just keeps getting bigger!
Old 1st September 2010, 08:49   #154
Senior - BHPian

Not FUP'ed - Yay!

My billing cycle is from the 26th to the 25th of the next month, and from 26th Aug till yesterday midnight, I have downloaded 67,879 GB and uploaded 31,523 GB - no speed blocks yet, still on 1 Mbps in day and 2 Mbps in night. The max I have downloaded in a day is 13,382 GB yesterday!

<Touchwood> <TouchWood> <TOUCHWOOD>

Old 1st September 2010, 09:29   #155
BHPian

Quote:
My billing cycle is from the 26th to the 25th of the next month, and from 26th Aug till yesterday midnight, I have downloaded 67,879 GB and uploaded 31,523 GB - no speed blocks yet, still on 1 Mbps in day and 2 Mbps in night. The max I have downloaded in a day is 13,382 GB yesterday!

<Touchwood> <TouchWood> <TOUCHWOOD>

Whats your plan? 1299?, I get 1 mbps only at night & 512 during day. I pay 1299 plus taxes.
Old 1st September 2010, 10:04   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Whats your plan? 1299?, I get 1 mbps only at night & 512 during day. I pay 1299 plus taxes.
Hold your guns, Airtel is upgrading the speeds of its broadband users - await your turn

And ya, its the same plan am talking about too.
Old 1st September 2010, 18:47   #157
BHPian

We are on the 1399 plan (4 Mbps till 25GB, and then it goes down to 256 Kbps), and it is really good. Never had the speed go below 4 Mbps so far, even though I am a reasonably heavy downloader.
Old 13th September 2010, 12:42   #158
BHPian

I was on Turbo 1299 plan (512Kbps/1Mbps) and received the automatic speed upgrade (1Mbps/2Mbps) last month. My billing cycle is 5th to 4th and since 5th September, I've downloaded ~110GB. The speed is now curtailed to 1Mbps throughout (no bump to 2Mbps during night) which means there could be a FUP limit of 100GB after which the the speed falls back to plan default speeds(1Mbps). This is still very good IMHO for Rs.1299.
Old 13th September 2010, 15:41   #159
BHPian

Airtel Delhi/NCR tariff's state that for all Unlimited plans the speed will drop to 256kbps after the bandwidth limit as per FUP for that particular plan is reached..
am a pretty heavy user and would not like to go back to 256kbps from 2/4mbps. Can someone please through some light on the actual groud realities regarding the FUP and bandwidth throttling.

AFAIK only MTNL (in delhi) provides proper unlimited data transfer (without any FUP mentioned on the website) and having used their internet connection would not like to say anything about it.

peace,
~kg
Old 19th September 2010, 13:14   #160
BHPian

Most Airtel broadband users seem to have very good experience, as found on thsi thread and this http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...omer-care.html. However my experience is quite the opposite.

I have the 1299 plan for about two years now, which was initially 384kbps unlimited. I was not upgraded automatically to 1mbps when the plan changed. Even after upgrade I was stuck around 500kbps due to FUP as mentioned above.

My connection went off last Monday, with it the IPTV. Their engineer came and found the router defective. Apparently they replace old router/modems only with refurbished ones, not with brand new ones. And they did not have working refurbished ones right now. So no internet and TV for 5 days. Yesterday I bought a router on my own for 1500 bucks. Wifi worked last night but is gone again; I am on wired connection and TV signal is okay, fortunately! Still waiting for router replacement from Airtel. By tomorrow it will be exactly one week since the fault.
Old 19th September 2010, 14:43   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post

My connection went off last Monday, with it the IPTV. Their engineer came and found the router defective. Apparently they replace old router/modems only with refurbished ones, not with brand new ones. And they did not have working refurbished ones right now. So no internet and TV for 5 days. Yesterday I bought a router on my own for 1500 bucks. Wifi worked last night but is gone again; I am on wired connection and TV signal is okay, fortunately! Still waiting for router replacement from Airtel. By tomorrow it will be exactly one week since the fault.
That is one of the reasons why I have always got my router, then you are not at their mercy.

Please escalate the issue. As far as I know they are supposed to replace defective router within a day. If nothing else you would not be billed for the down time.
Old 20th September 2010, 11:03   #162
Team-BHP Support

I had a similar issue. I did not have wireless for more than a week as they did not have the router in stock. Finally, after mails to higher ups, they replaced the router.
Old 20th September 2010, 13:45   #163
BHPian

Still waiting for replacement. Tanveer, can you please share (by PM) e-mail ID of Airtel higher ups so that I can escalate this?
Old 20th September 2010, 13:49   #164
Team-BHP Support

I simply mailed to airtel customer care contact us from the website, and gave them the case number. Within 2 days a senior guy called me up, and I explained to him the problem. After 2 days the new router came!
Old 21st September 2010, 13:42   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
I was on Turbo 1299 plan (512Kbps/1Mbps) and received the automatic speed upgrade (1Mbps/2Mbps) last month. My billing cycle is 5th to 4th and since 5th September, I've downloaded ~110GB. The speed is now curtailed to 1Mbps throughout (no bump to 2Mbps during night) which means there could be a FUP limit of 100GB after which the the speed falls back to plan default speeds(1Mbps). This is still very good IMHO for Rs.1299.
I crossed 150GB for the billing period and the speeds have now reduced to 512kbps throughout... Damn it!!!

So Airtel is indeed doing FUP speed limiting without informing/consent of the customer. I guess calling Airtel CC is of no use as they are clueless most of the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks