Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2010, 09:10   #136
Senior - BHPian

I noticed this speed bump from last night - I am getting 2 Mbps at night and 1 Mbps at day. The jokers in Airtel Customer care were useless, I have tried shooting off an email asking for more details. Fingers crossed.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:41   #137
Senior - BHPian

When I was in Noida (before April '10) I had the Swift 1099 plan (512 kbps, unlimited downloads and without any FUP). In Bangalore initially they gave me some other plan (with a FUP). On protesting (first they told me than Swift 1099 wasnt available in Blr but eventually relented when I threatened to unsubscribe myself). Since last week I noticed that the speed had suddenly doubled!!! I am now having 1Mbps (on the same plan) and the best part is it is without any FUP. I am a very heavy downloader (above 100GB per month) so thats why I always wanted the truly unlimited plan. Lets see if any FUP has been implemented this time with this speed upgrade. So far in 1 week I have already downloaded more than 50GB. Download speeds are ~ 110-120 KBps.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:49   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I noticed this speed bump from last night - I am getting 2 Mbps at night and 1 Mbps at day. The jokers in Airtel Customer care were useless, I have tried shooting off an email asking for more details. Fingers crossed.
Same blood!
I hope there's no FUP.
Old 26th August 2010, 16:49   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
For the past 2 days, I've been observing that the speed has doubled. 1Mbps during the day and 2Mbps during night.
And since yesterday, it has been 2 Mbps throughout

I wonder what is Airtel up to? Hopefully they wont come up with those crap FUP limits or bolt us with a huge bill for extra downloads. I'd be the first to abandon ship if they does.
Old 26th August 2010, 17:12   #140
Senior - BHPian

Not sure where I had mentioned it earlier, but, Airtel has over the last few months, in a phased manner, upgraded all their customer to a higher speed.

So all users below 512kbps will get moved to 512kbps (this is the minimum speed now) and those at 512kbps and above will get their speed doubled. So those with 512kbps will get 1Mbps & those with 1Mbps will now get 2Mbps and so on. This is part of their free upgrade plan and if you have not changed your plan to something covered by FUP, then you are good to download as you please!
Old 26th August 2010, 17:36   #141
Senior - BHPian

I have been upgraded from 256 kbps to 512 kbps but with 10 GB FUP. After 10 GB my speed will drop to 256kbps. Received official mail from Airtel regarding this a few weeks back as well. And already experienced FUP implementation at the last 2 days of my billing cycle when my downloads crossed 10 GB and speed went back to 256kbps.

email excerpt:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtel Broadband
At the onset we would like to thank you for your continued patronage towards Airtel Broadband.
With the ever changing world of internet, your requirements as a customer have also been changing. Recent studies done with our customers suggest most of the evolving activities like watching online videos, sending mail attachments, listening to songs, uploading & downloading pictures, movies, songs, etc are experienced much better at higher speed broadband connections. It is for this reason that we at Airtel have decided to upgrade your speed.
After consumption of 10 GBs the speed will go back to your original plan speed. To continue to be on high speed, please use "Speed on Demand". To know more, log on to www.airtel.in/sod.
Airtel, with this step, enhances your broadband experience to a much higher level. The upgraded speed will give you the convenience to download songs, play exciting games, stream without buffering, upload videos or files really fast and download full length feature films upto 2 times faster.
While with increased speed you enjoy more activities online, we advice you to take adequate steps to protect your PC from viruses & malware.
You can easily protect your computer by subscribing to Airtel PC Secure which gives anti virus protection. Please log on to PC Secure Antivirus- Antivirus Packages: Airtel VAS to subscribe or to know more about the service.

Games on Demand gives you access to unlimited gaming which includes popular games like World of Warcraft, Need for Speed, T20 Cricket, etc.
Website Builder helps you build your own website in just a matter of few minutes.

Log on to www.airtel.in/broadband to know more.
We look forward to serving you better and hope you will make the most of the free enhanced speed. Should you have any queries, please write to us at care.ncr@airtel.in or call us on 121 from your Airtel Fixed Line.
Chief Customer Service Officer, Bharti Airtel Limited

Last edited by DCEite : 26th August 2010 at 17:38.
Old 26th August 2010, 18:12   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
Not sure where I had mentioned it earlier, but, Airtel has over the last few months, in a phased manner, upgraded all their customer to a higher speed.

So all users below 512kbps will get moved to 512kbps (this is the minimum speed now) and those at 512kbps and above will get their speed doubled. So those with 512kbps will get 1Mbps & those with 1Mbps will now get 2Mbps and so on. This is part of their free upgrade plan and if you have not changed your plan to something covered by FUP, then you are good to download as you please!
That sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I have been upgraded from 256 kbps to 512 kbps but with 10 GB FUP. After 10 GB my speed will drop to 256kbps. Received official mail from Airtel regarding this a few weeks back as well. And already experienced FUP implementation at the last 2 days of my billing cycle when my downloads crossed 10 GB and speed went back to 256kbps.
Were you asked whether you'd like to be upgraded to a plan with FUP limits? I guess if the speeds just return to original plan speeds after FUP limits its not as bad as I thought

UPDATE: I just received a call from Airtel CC whether I'd like to be upgraded to 2 Mbps so-called unlimited plan (with 40 GB FUP limit of course). I simply declined since FUP limits wont work for my download habits.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 26th August 2010 at 18:16.
Old 26th August 2010, 19:00   #143
Senior - BHPian

Here is what I got from them.

Quote:
Dear Customer,
Thank you for writing to Airtel Telemedia Services.

With reference to your e-mail dated 25/08/2010, you have inquired about your existing DSL Tariff Plan South Turbo 1299 @ 512 Kbps Day and 1 Mbps night Plan for your Airtel fixed-line number 0444ooooooo

We would like to inform that your currently under the DSL Tariff plan "South Turbo 1299 @ 512 Kbps Day and 1 Mbps night Plan" and Fair Usage Policy limit is applicable to this plan also. This is to confirm that the Fair Usage Policy limit for this plan is 25 GB.

It is our privilege to have you as our valued customer and would like to thank you for your continued patronage. We look forward to a long and fruitful association with you.

For any further assistance please mail us at 121@airtel.in

Warm Regards,

xxxxxxx
Customer Care Executive
Bharti Airtel Limited.

---------Original Message----------
To: 121@airtel.in
Cc:
Sent: 25/08/2010 12:17:34 PM
Subject: Tariff Plan Enquiry - 0444ooooooo

Hi,

Can you confirm if I am in the Turbo 1299 unlimited plan, which has 512 Kbps
day speed and 1 Mbps night speed? Also, there was no Fair Usage Policy for this
plan when I availed it, and I have not been intimated of any change in policy
for this plan. Is there any such limit?

Regards,
<Me>
Ofcourse I shot back telling there was no FUP when I signed up in July of last year, and would be terminating my line if I encountered a FUP sponsored speed brake. Haven't heard back from them yet.

Interestingly, here is my data transfer - My billing cycle is from 27th to 26th, and the data shown here is only from 10th Aug till today (upgraded my router to DD-WRT only on 10th). I would have downloaded atleast 25 GB until 10th Aug.
Name:  usage.png
Views: 1001
Size:  12.9 KB

No speed bumps yet (touchwood!)
Old 26th August 2010, 19:12   #144
Senior - BHPian

Watch your data transfer FROM the day of the speed bump.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:23   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Watch your data transfer FROM the day of the speed bump.
Yup - today is the end of the billing cycle, will know how it goes when I cross 25 GB starting from tomorrow onwards.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:34   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

How are you measuring your traffic? I used to use a simple software called Bandwidth Monitor Pro, and since shifting to Linux I miss it. Have to rely on my online account details at Airtel.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:50   #147
Senior - BHPian

You guys should consider yourself lucky. I am on 1299 plan and from past few weeks this is the speed i am getting.

Kudos to Airtel.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:47   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
How are you measuring your traffic? I used to use a simple software called Bandwidth Monitor Pro, and since shifting to Linux I miss it. Have to rely on my online account details at Airtel.
Nick, this is no software - but my jailbroken router doing it for me

DD-WRT is a linux based firmware for broadband routers, which was initially meant for the infamous Linksys WRT54G (hence the name DD-WRT). It comes in various flavours, and not all routers can run it. But it opens up all the features that router vendors usually leave out in their low-end / routers-meant-for-home-users, but are available at the hardware level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post

You guys should consider yourself lucky. I am on 1299 plan and from past few weeks this is the speed i am getting.

Kudos to Airtel.
Haven't called them up and wrecked havoc yet? Does your phone line have excessive noise? Check the SNR that comes up when you login to the Airtel modem (usually 192.168.1.1 - if you have another router connected to it, may not work). Btw, try Airtel's own speedtest - it is more accurate in the sense it gives your link speed from your home to Airtel's DSLAM.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 26th August 2010 at 23:48.
Old 27th August 2010, 00:22   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks. Yes, I've heard of that --- but I have a D-Link, and I think it won't. I'd hate to take the risk of bricking it anyway: I bought it to give n wifi to the wifwifi (wife's laptop).
Old 27th August 2010, 02:43   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Thanks. Yes, I've heard of that --- but I have a D-Link, and I think it won't. I'd hate to take the risk of bricking it anyway: I bought it to give n wifi to the wifwifi (wife's laptop).
This is a list of supported D-Link routers - and most bricks due to a half-baked flash can be "unbricked". I have a Buffalo router, a tricky one to flash a DD-WRT supposedly - but hey, it worked first try!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 27th August 2010 at 02:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks