Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 11:54   #31
Team-BHP Support

A big reason for popularity of windows is that piracy is not checked aggressively by the parent company.
Right now any small shop gets a "free" copy of windows from their seller.
If that access is stopped the usage of other Operating systems will increase.
That said, as far as developer tools are concerened, there is a lot of development on linux platfrom also, and the entire VLSI industry does development and design on unix based systems(primarily linux).
If google OS is linux based it will be GPL, and the added value google will bring in will be in things like wine etc., and other unpolished parts.
Linux is pretty stable now, usability is an issue, and sadly its not being addressed as it should be. If google can change that they will take away quite a bit of market share from windows.

Come to think of it, how many people buy windows. Either they get it with their laptop or PC.
Those who assemble mostly pirate.
If laptop makers gave laptops without windows, and reduced price by 5000rs or so for non windows linux version, it will surely dent the market share.
Google has enough muscle to armtwist dell etc., to an extent, and also launch their own productline. So with google OS there is going to be an impact

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2009 at 12:38. Reason: Umm, check reported post by Technocrat
Old 10th July 2009, 12:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If laptop makers gave laptops without windows, and reduced price by 5000rs or so for non windows linux version, it will surely dent the market share.
Tanveer I think this is done a by a few companies but is not popular with home users market, it might gain success in developer arena but home users would still buy the cheap one & get a pirated XP/Vista installed on it rather than use the Linux.
Old 10th July 2009, 12:33   #33
BANNED

Just wait and watch. Kitne aaya aur kitna gaaya. But a new OS and that too from Google is eagerly awaited.

As for MS pirated versions. I think MS does not bother because it in a way maintains their products reach and invariably their popularity.
Old 10th July 2009, 14:26   #34
BANNED

Hype apart the main point will be applications - not just Google Suite. Compatibility is the key here.

I wish we get Linux (small, stable, ...) with a Windows front end (like Lindows was trying to).

Wait and watch is my mantra!
Old 10th July 2009, 14:49   #35
BHPian

I dont think MS has to worry about Google OS. Google OS is targeted for netbooks. A big portion of low cost netbooks anyway come with Linux.
And the main business for MS is not home users, but corporate users. Corporate users for now are not going to move towards cloud computing any time soon.
Max, google os will make netbooks more popular and slightly more cheaper.
UI of linux based google OS is sure going to give larger audience a good taste of linux os, which in turn will help people change there views for Linux as mainstream OS for there home desktops and hence they will switch over from there pirated copies of xp/vista to google os.

I remember 10-12 years ago when Redhat linux blinked on the OS radar, people were all exicited about MS going down, but then MS came out with Win 98 and windiws ME.
98/ME made me to switch to Redhat for a couple of months..and then mp3 happened and configuring sound care drivers on redhat became a challenge...so out went redhat and in came 200 pro.

15 years on, and still Linux has to make a considerable dent in MS operating system share.

OT: I still dont understand why people still think linux is complicated..even the IT guys think so...
Regards,
Old 10th July 2009, 15:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

Don’t forget that it is Google is coming out with an OS, it will not come out with a half baked product like old Redhat linux.

Netbooks are gaining popularity slowly but very surely.

If a light OS (probably Chrome) then the days of a high end laptop will be numbered as it will not to process heavy stuff like Vista to run a small application.
In short a light weight OS can give a better performance on a low end hardware.

I am eagerly waiting for Chrome OS. I think now Windows will have a real challenge now.
Old 10th July 2009, 16:19   #37
Senior - BHPian

Well linux had backing from a lot of bigwigs like IBM, SUN etc but that didnt quite help. Lets see how Google ends up.
Old 10th July 2009, 17:14   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
I dont think MS has to worry about Google OS. Google OS is targeted for netbooks. A big portion of low cost netbooks anyway come with Linux.
And the main business for MS is not home users, but corporate users. Corporate users for now are not going to move towards cloud computing any time soon.
Every single sentence here is incorrect, or hyperbole. MSFT Windows Product Manager (yeah, I move around in those circles ) told me that over 90% of netbooks sold today in India carry Windows XP. I see no reason to dispute his statement- just a quick market scan reveals how every vendor is selling netbooks with Windows pre-installed.

Corporate users are in fact definitely moving towards cloud computing, it is actually the consumers who still have to worry about constant internet (as someone pointed here) who are still a bit away from going to Cloud full time.

Guys, please understand that Chrome OS is not about Windows or Linux. It is actually not about an OS at all!! The whole point of Chrome OS is that your netbook boots up and launches your browser quickly, so that you can be online and then start your work! I hope to be proved incorrect, but please don't expect it to support many desktop applications that you've grown used to.

Chrome OS is a totally new way of looking at computing- my guess is that it's true remarkability will be in user interface (already the hallmark of anything Google). Let's not look at a Chrome OS netbook through the prism of Windows/Linux/OSX/FreeBSD/take-your-pick. To borrow Sun's line, the network is the computer, finally, in 2009-2010.

Last edited by greenh0rn : 10th July 2009 at 17:16.
Old 10th July 2009, 17:24   #39
Senior - BHPian

So it's a new window manager and their Chrome/Chromium browser. On top of the Linux kernel. And I need 24x7 connectivity to make it half-useful. This, on a netbook which is supposed to be portable. In India, where we don't even have wired connectivity in large parts of the country. Wow, this is going to blow the socks off Microsoft...not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123
Don’t forget that it is Google is coming out with an OS, it will not come out with a half baked product like old Redhat linux.
Are you forgetting Picasa, for which Google couldn't bother with a native port? Are you forgetting Chrome, which hasn't even got a proper release yet? Red Hat has done infinitely more for Linux than Google can dream to.

Last edited by pranavt : 10th July 2009 at 17:30.
Old 10th July 2009, 17:25   #40
BHPian

But as a company how is google going to make money out of it? Integrating adwords to the OS itself? Would be disastrous to see an ad when opening a calculator
Old 10th July 2009, 17:29   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
But as a company how is google going to make money out of it? Integrating adwords to the OS itself? Would be disastrous to see an ad when opening a calculator
Your files will be stored on Google's servers. I assume that you will then see ads relevant to your stored files in their web-based services like Google docs or mail.
Old 10th July 2009, 18:53   #42
BHPian

pessimist

Call me pessimist or even outright stupid. I see Judgement day coming up soon later followed by the Rise of machines, if this is the rate of progress, i for one would be scared -- correct that very very scared.

The cloud appears to me like one big skynet application controlling everything we do or want to do or wish to do and then it can turn it against us.

I am in the IT field for more than a decade and nothing scares me more than the speed at which technology has become the center around which our life has started to revolve. There are many positives to the adoption and growth of newer and better technologies, however this one facet of technology controlling our lives can outweigh all of them.

dont get me wrong, Google's theme is dont be evil. so was skynet, all it wanted to do was connect everyone at a global level at one platform to harness the interconnectivity and we have seen a movie depiction of what things done with the best intentions can do to mankind.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:25   #43
BANNED

I thought somebody else would mention it.

The concept of sending an OS and supporting applications through the WWW / internet was first mooted by Microsoft. Too bad they did not patent the concept. ;-P

Of course, thin client computing has been in vogue for a loooong time.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:57   #44
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
Microsoft and Apple are the two platforms which can not be replaced by any other new OS. Both these softwares have penetrated well in to each and every vertical of the society and has evolved with them. For example there are certain softwares which can only be run on MS and respectivly for Apple.

MS and Apple have slowly moved from the WANT category to the NEED category, so Google OS can just be an option but never can be the solution.
P.S: The above expressed is entirely my POV and can vary from person to person
Windows can be replaced by Linux and you can use Wine to run softwares designed to run on windows. Apple is anyway not that popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Tanveer I think this is done a by a few companies but is not popular with home users market, it might gain success in developer arena but home users would still buy the cheap one & get a pirated XP/Vista installed on it rather than use the Linux.
I used to think like this until I discovered Ubuntu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
15 years on, and still Linux has to make a considerable dent in MS operating system share.

OT: I still dont understand why people still think linux is complicated..even the IT guys think so...
Regards,
Exactly. Linux is now so simple to use.
Old 10th July 2009, 22:59   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I thought somebody else would mention it.

The concept of sending an OS and supporting applications through the WWW / internet was first mooted by Microsoft. Too bad they did not patent the concept. ;-P

Of course, thin client computing has been in vogue for a loooong time.
Thin Clients have existed (BOOTP, DHCP) on Sun for a long time (on network, not internet)

Actually Scott McNealy talked about network computer a zillion times from 1998 as I can remember and nobody cared. Now since its Google, its hyped up. However, the availability of wireless access and thin mobile clients (and mobile phones etc.,) is widespread, it might be the right time.

I think what Google wants is to strip the OS down to a bare minimum enough to support web browsing which will then help them in net based apps, storage etc.,

Intel has also released Moblin, its OS for Netbooks. It will all be about the applications and not about the OS themselves which will distinguish these

Last edited by srishiva : 10th July 2009 at 23:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks