Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2009, 17:42   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Googles new Operating System coming!

Quote:
The final element in Google’s drive to reshape the computing landscape fell into place on Wednesday when it unveiled plans for a PC operating system that would compete directly with Microsoft’s Windows.

But the fortress that Microsoft has built around Windows is likely to withstand this attack for some time to come, giving the software company room for manoeuvre as it tries to reshape its own technology around the internet, analysts said.

Google said a number of low-priced laptops known as netbooks, based on its new operating system, would go on sale in the second half of next year.

It predicted that the software would bring benefits to PC users from greatly cutting the time it takes for a machine to start up to reducing the complexity of managing personal computers.
Link to Full Article

Can the Tech Pros throw more light on this?

1. Should Microsoft Windows be worried? Should Apple be worried?

2. What is the advantage of cloud computing, where softwares are web based? I mean, hard disk space is only getting cheaper. And I'd rather have my data on my own computer than some hackable server out there in the www. If I want to work offline (something I do frequently), the windows system has an advantage.

3. For most of us, our lives revolve around MS software (my client management system, organiser software, accounting software etc. etc.). If google wants to make this click, they'd make the software adaptable out of the box. If not, why would the masses move?

4. Will it be free?

5. How can a browser-based OS be an OS in itself?

Google's products till date have been the best, or amongst the best, from their competition. Search (duh!), my brother swears by Chrome and I know several particular personalities who can't live without Gmail. The list goes on (calendar, earth etc.).

Interesting comments here too
Old 9th July 2009, 17:53   #2
BHPian

Most Software are compatible with MS or Apple. If Google OS supports the Software the same way the MS does then there is a OS which can compete and overtake MS OSs
Old 9th July 2009, 17:53   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Yeah - read it on CNET. The Chrome OS is going to BLOW AWAY Microsoft's OS. For once, I am really excited for an Operating System. Go for it Google!!
Old 9th July 2009, 17:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

Whatever Google will do sure it will keep common man's understanding in mind. This we can see in simpler products from google like gmail, gtalk, earth etc etc. Earlier MS used to enjoying crashing at its user PC. Now MS feel itself crashing when Google come out with solid product (OS) in market.

Hope Chrome will change the market dynamic with more easier UI and Operating System.
Old 9th July 2009, 18:01   #5
Team-BHP Support

So its Google-Linux.

What all colours are availble. I would like mine in mauve. Its faster. Like Red sportscars.

*Joke ripped off from a Dilbert Cartoon.

A search engine that will dictate what you KNOW and how you operate. Scary!
Old 9th July 2009, 18:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Microsoft Research has designed new browser called 'Gazelle' - may be this is similar to what Google is doing.
Old 9th July 2009, 18:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

2. What is the advantage of cloud computing, where softwares are web based? I mean, hard disk space is only getting cheaper.
Its like a web based email package.. You check your emails from anywhere. Similar logic of accessing your data's from anywhere. All you need is a browser+internet, that's it. You have word, excel, power point, CRM, Projects, meeting etc at a very very cheaper prices. ZOHO, google, adobe.. many players are getting into this..

Last edited by Surprise : 9th July 2009 at 18:09.
Old 9th July 2009, 18:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

When ever i open Google site...i see a message "Google operates better on Google Chrome"..does one need to download this OS? Is it free?
Old 9th July 2009, 18:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
When ever i open Google site...i see a message "Google operates better on Google Chrome"..does one need to download this OS? Is it free?
Google Chrome is not the OS.
It is a Internet Browser like the Internet Explorer/Mozilla Firefox etc.
Old 9th July 2009, 18:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Heard it on news last night. I was just wondering how safe their OS will be considering how unsafe chrome is.
Old 9th July 2009, 18:22   #11
BHPian

Chrome they infer here means the browser and not the OS! Yes, you could download the browser for free. It is a lighter one than IE.
I'd still prefer Mozilla to chrome. I doubt if chrome has made a big dent as far as MS is concerned. Same probably would be for the Chrome OS(or whatever they might end up calling).
Mozilla and chrome both, still have some or the other issues that IE doesn't. Safari also has quite a few issues. MS might actually make theirs better/lighter by the time others sort out their problems. All said and done, MS products still suck :( and we are stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Old 9th July 2009, 18:24   #12
D-Man

I am using most tools Google has. They work the best on Chrome. But I am skeptical about it being a success in Beta. Google has been releasing mostly everything in Beta releases. Google is long way from capturing the Market which Microsoft and Apple has. Apple is still catching up on the Market acceptance. Palm tried something similar in 2007 which failed. It was a major launch. Hope something like that does not happen with google. Google phone could not beat Iphone. Here is a article on Foleo.

Palm Foleo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

@Surprise: Mac got Me for $99. It runs on similar concept. I have seen it in action and it impressed me. I was typing a meeting invite in my browser and i could see it type right away on my iphone simultaneously!! It was the power of ME account. I had it 30 days for free.

Last edited by D-Man : 9th July 2009 at 18:37.

Old 9th July 2009, 18:37   #13
BHPian

Computer independent computing

I am no expert in these things. Could we log into any computer anywhere with net connection and start using our virtual system with all our files and data?
Old 9th July 2009, 18:42   #14
BHPian

It's usually nice to read from their own view, Google have their own blog and here is the link to their article on Google Chrome OS. Many of your queries will be answered here, there is even a little FAQ link at the bottom:

Official Google Blog: Introducing the Google Chrome OS

The following para. in their blog quite summarizes the intent and the target market:
Quote:
We hear a lot from our users and their message is clear — computers need to get better. People want to get to their email instantly, without wasting time waiting for their computers to boot and browsers to start up. They want their computers to always run as fast as when they first bought them. They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. Even more importantly, they don't want to spend hours configuring their computers to work with every new piece of hardware, or have to worry about constant software updates. And any time our users have a better computing experience, Google benefits as well by having happier users who are more likely to spend time on the Internet.
The following thread in /. (Slashdot) discusses the same from technical and non-technical pov. Quite an interesting read for those who have patience!
Slashdot Technology Story | Google Announces Chrome OS, For Release Mid-2010

BTW, I don't like Chrome myself for the simple reason that I cannot block advertisements Probably the only reason Google developed it!

Last edited by pmbabu : 9th July 2009 at 18:55.
Old 9th July 2009, 18:43   #15
Team-BHP Support

Nobody can shake Microsoft from its current position for a while. Linux has been trying since 15 years, still unable to beat Windows in either server or desktop market share. Besides, Microsoft is doing well pretty in server operating systems, in fact they are growing at a good rate.

To topple Microsoft, Google would need a silver bullet. It could be a killer app only available on Google OS or something beyond my imagination.

Most Viewed