Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2009, 00:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
Great review Ksethuram.

I would recommend Samsung Omnia HD to anyone looking forward to the N97!!
Have they sorted out the GPS problems that blighted the Omnia? I thought the Omnia had excellent built quality but in terms of the functionality it was a major let down. Waiting five minutes to get a GPS lock compared to less than a minute (from cold start) with a HTC Diamond was the norm whilst I had one. Even tried flashing new roms and making registry changes to iron this out which never worked.
Old 5th August 2009, 19:22   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
How's the browsing speed & does the phone hang frequently?
I do not browse through network, so cannot really comment on it. But I use wifi once a while and it just works fine. Hanging has disappeared with the new firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Great review, you are prompting me to buy one.
but do not just go on the frequency of the chip. some times the chips have special DSP to run the multimedia and imaging which is different than the core which runs the operating system and applications.
What is important is the performance of the phone when permutation and combination of applications are running simultaneously.
more over as you said, many people do not use multi tasking anyway.
Yes you are right but nokia still uses ARM 11, which is inferior to competitors chip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Nice review.
I am currently using a N95 8gb and thinking of upgrading.
Prob is i can't find a good upgraded phone.
Do you feel N97 fits the bill?
As per the specs i don't find a lot of changes.
P.S- It doesn't matter to me if its touchscreen or not.
If you have a free data plan and addicted to social networking sites besides browsing through network you should plan upgradinig. If not better hold on to N95.
There is a new Creative Zii Egg coming in the final quarter of 2009. Though it lacks cellular module, it is rumored to have the capacity to hold one. Have an eye on it. Reading the specs and its capabilities it seems apple wont be the king of music/video players for long. The better part is that it runs on Android.
Old 7th August 2009, 14:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Nice review.
I am currently using a N95 8gb and thinking of upgrading.
Prob is i can't find a good upgraded phone.
Do you feel N97 fits the bill?
As per the specs i don't find a lot of changes.

P.S- It doesn't matter to me if its touchscreen or not.
Maybe you would want to check out HTC Hero if you want a new experience. It comes with Android.

Or if you want to stick with symbian, check out Samsung Omnia 2.

If you want to go with Windows Mobile, check out HTC Touch Pro 2.

From personal experience, I would recommend you trying out Android phones.
Old 7th August 2009, 15:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

1. What was the price of N97.
2. I am someone who has bought only Nokia since 2007. I am extremely happy with N95 and bought 2 (for me in 7/2007 and my wife in 3/2008). Also bought a n85 in Feb 2009 when one of my N95 got wet and ruined. Looking at all the Nokia phones since then, I am of the opinion that Nokia designers reached their peak with the n95 and have not matched it since then (N97 does look better than n95 at least in the photos)
3. I am comfortable with Nokia functionality (alarms, etc) and user interface but not at all happy with the form factor of recent Nokia smart phones. Round and not appealing at all to me.
4. I like Sony Ericsson's form for most of their phones, but their displays and user interface are a big turn off.
5. Would consider N97 perhaps next year (price of ~31-32K a big negative right now).
6. Would seriously not consider buying any Apple product because of various proprietary issues associated with it.
Old 7th August 2009, 17:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

@Vasudeva- If you check N97 specs and N95 specs you wont find much of a difference.
Thats why am not upgrading to N97 from my N95 8gb.
Imo Nokia has to give much more to us if we got to upgrade.
Old 7th August 2009, 17:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

My opinion of the N97:
1. looks better (most important to me).
2. bigger screen (also very important)
3. do not use mobile for internet

However, it may not be a compelling upgrade because of the fact that
1. it is expensive
2. for that money, I do not get a vastly superior display (no LED, only 16 m colours). In fact, this might be the most important factor in dissuading me to spend a huge amount on the N97.
3. LED displays as in N85 look a lot better and sharper than 16m displays in N95 (I have both and so can see the diff).

N97 has come out with the same hype as N96, seems good, but perhaps Nokia needs to do better. N96 did not succeed much.

Bottomline for me: N97 is better than the N95 in terms of functionality and screen size, but not so much that I would feel the strong urge to throw my N95/N85, take out 31K from the bank, and buy a N97 in the evening.

Last edited by vasudeva : 7th August 2009 at 17:26.
Old 7th August 2009, 17:33   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Bottomline for me: N97 is better than the N95 in terms of functionality and screen size, but not so much that I would feel the strong urge to throw my N95/N85, take out 31K from the bank, and buy a N97 in the evening.
Sir ji, whenever you have that urge to throw your N95/N85, please throw it towards me

sorry, just kidding
Old 15th August 2009, 23:42   #23
BHPian

Nokia Cityman ATD

Nokia has released a limited edition anti theft device for the n97 - the Nokia Cityman ATD. It's based on the first truly mobile nokia handset the cityman 450. check out the post here:
₪ In Focus: Symbian S60 3rd and 5th Edition ₪: Arrived: The Nokia Cityman ATD

Old 16th August 2009, 11:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram View Post
The Bad

Inconsistency in UI (Some taps are single click and some are double click. You get frustrated often.)
This i feel is a good thing. Only the main menu is single click rest is double click i.e once to select second to enter the menu. s60 is not like the iphone os you have so many more features. For example in the n97 one can listen to a particular track in the music player and send another track over bt. This is possible only because of the double click. In the iphone if you click on something you are in thats it.

Another reallly nice thing better than the iphone is the ability to coonnect any 3.5mm audio jack. The iphone also accepts 3.5 mm but one cannot coonect a lot of headphones and speakers directly because the port is kind of recessed (I have not used the 3g so i dont know if they fixed it).

The best part for me though is the sq from the headphone jack. It is almost as good as the n91 (those who have used this phone before will vouch for the sq waaay better than the ipod or any other pmp. When it was released it was labeled the best sounding pmp)

THose interested to know how much i paid for the n97 i found a used one 3 days old no scratches, even the protective cover was on , life timer 1hr 40min for 20k

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 16th August 2009 at 11:19.
Old 19th August 2009, 13:38   #25
naughty001

i live in South Africa and i have a phone contract thats up for renewal and i have a choice between the N97 and the Sony Erickson xperia Ni, im leaning toward this phone because of the great amounts of memory. So is it worth getting considering i will be getting it free with my contract and still not increase the amount im currently spending on my old contract in which i had a N95

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks