Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2009, 15:46   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I may warn you that the US Spec router may be on 900MHz which is used by mobiles in India. You should be on the 2.4GHz band.
Will check into this.
Wireless internet did work in the start for some time, but with the problem of it going down every 5 - 10 min or so and then again connecting and when again going down after some time (this was when modem was in PPPoE mode)

Since trying to troubleshoot the connection and resetting modem and router, even the wireless has stopped working.

The airtel guy suggests me to buy the Wifi modem that they supply and that 3rd party non-airtel authorized modems are bound to create problems and he has never seen them being installed earlier.
I dont want to do this because I am here for only 15 days....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Also, Airtel at one point came up with a policy that if you use the ADSL more then they will choke the bandwidth.
Yes, the Fair Usage Policy is applicable on my connection. after I download 75GB worth of stuff, speed during day is reduced from 384kbps to 256. Night time remains 1mbps, though.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 4th August 2009 at 15:48.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:48   #17
Senior - BHPian

Saar ji i told ya na, pay me i'll fix it

On a serious note try this. PP from Airtel ADSL and see if that works fine again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
yup Boss.
Right now online on desktop and manually dialling. (modem in bridge mode. Direct ethernet connection)
Connection seems stable.

Pinging the DNS brings up latency times around 28-29ms with occasional spikes to 100. Sometimes around 200. Last night I also saw 303.

Entire Wiring in home has been checked and replaced yesterday. No solution.
Old 28th June 2010, 15:26   #18
BHPian

Problems in setting up WiFi

Hi Guys,

I'm hoping I can get some help from here in setting up WiFi in my home. I've been unsuccessfully trying to set this up for the last couple of weeks and it's driving me nuts.

Here is what i'm working up with
  • Internet access provided to my apartment by the housing society through LAN
  • Presumably there is a central router that distributes the internet connection to about 50 apartments -- I might be wrong
  • I have no access to the common router/modem etc - i can only start from the lan port on which i have internet access to wifi it
  • i tried connecting the input of my wifi router(s) to the lan port and connected my laptop to one of the ethernet ports on the wifi router. I'm not able to perform the correct sequence in starting the different components because of the access restrictions.
  • The router boots ok and after it stabilizes the connection light starts flickering and never stops - this i understand means there is some network activity happening but not established connection
  • I try to access the administrative page of my router by going to 192.168.1.1 for setting up the connection.
  • Here's where i face the issue - i can't access the page for the life of me and i tried with 3 routers of different companies - Netgear, Cisco & 3Com to conclude that the issue is not with the wifi router.
  • I've disabled the windows firewall and used 2 laptops to get connected.

Please help and throw some ideas that you may have.

thanks
Old 28th June 2010, 15:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

If your internet access is provided by the housing society through another router, then that router is probably using 192.168.1.x - and that could be the reason why you are not able to access your router's admin page when all is connected. Try this.

1. Disconnect your router from the housing society's LAN
2. Connect your computer to your router - use one of the 4 Local LAN ports
3. Unplug the power for the router and then replug it after a few seconds, wait for the router to get started up
4. Login to the router's admin page (192.168.1.1)
5. Look for LAN settings, and change the LAN IP Address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.100.1
6. Save settings (or save and reboot) - you will probably get a page cannot be displayed
7. Unplug power to your router, connect the housing society's LAN into the Internet / WAN port of the router
8. Power up the router, connect your laptops wired or wireless and check if you are online

This should work. You might also want to check if you are able to login to sites that uses SSL - like GMail / Yahoo or any banking sites. What you would be having (if I have guessed right) is cascaded routers setup, and sometimes SSL does not go through such a setup.
Old 28th June 2010, 15:58   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

@nemo, for step 8, first check connectivity through the wired connection. Once that works, try for the wireless connection. You would need to match the authentication methods set on the laptop & the router.

@Ph03n!x, I think you have covered most of the steps, and well.
Old 28th June 2010, 16:20   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Conceptually, there are two ways of doing this.

1. using your wifi router as a router to route between your building network (192.168.1.0) and a new LAN (192.168.1.100.0) that connects your home devices.

2. use your router as a hub/switch. Ignore the WAN port and connect your building LAN to one of the LAN ports on your router.

I have done both, and they both work. Currently I am using method 2: not so technically satisfying, but just as effective. Your problem with this is that your wifi-router would then need a unique address on the building network so that you can configure the wifi. Only your building admin can give you this. thoughts, ph03n!x? Or others?
Old 28th June 2010, 17:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Conceptually, there are two ways of doing this.

1. using your wifi router as a router to route between your building network (192.168.1.0) and a new LAN (192.168.1.100.0) that connects your home devices.

2. use your router as a hub/switch. Ignore the WAN port and connect your building LAN to one of the LAN ports on your router.

I have done both, and they both work. Currently I am using method 2: not so technically satisfying, but just as effective. Your problem with this is that your wifi-router would then need a unique address on the building network so that you can configure the wifi. Only your building admin can give you this. thoughts, ph03n!x? Or others?
Some router themselves host DHCP service (which can be turned on/off).
For using building's IP Addressing (method 2) this need to be turned off on local router, and for method 1, vice versa.

For method 2, it depends what IP addressing building's net is using, static or DHCP enabled.
For static - user has to consult to Admin of building network to allocate one unused IP adress.
For DHCP - connected computer/laptop will get it through LAN/WLAN. provided building's DHCP server has no MAC based reservation. If that is the case then it can be done only with method 1. Then, this router's MAC need to be exposed to building's network. New router can be configured as gateway to subnet 192.168.100.x.

For method 1: Gateway address need to be configured at local router. At this point I am not sure which one.
Old 28th June 2010, 18:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
thoughts, ph03n!x? Or others?
I did not suggest using the router as Hub / Switch as I know some routers that do not work (I have worked for 2 of the top 3 SOHO wireless maker) - or rather MADE not to work that way (that is, pass on the IP address from an external DHCP server on the LAN side to the wireless). Reason? What you will be doing is making the router to work like an Access Point. And the actual Access Points sold by these router-makers are priced much higher, and the additional features they come with are not something a layman will always use!

This external DHCP blocking, I hope, is not happening anymore or is not happening atleast with the common routers we have here in India. If @nemo is facing a problem in accessing https, then using the router as an Access Point (wireless hub) is the only way around
Old 28th June 2010, 18:50   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

that's interesting. Mine's a D-Link. I do not think it would work as a purely wireless access point (as in extending a wireless net), but it is wired to the Airtel modem-router, my PC, and gives wireless net too.

Even as short a time ago as seven or eight years, we regarded wifi as a bit of a toy, so I never used it work and never got proper experience of it except at home. You'd be way ahead of me
Old 28th June 2010, 20:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nick, 7 or 8 year is a pretty longgggg time in terms of computer & technology
Old 28th June 2010, 20:41   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Sure is! Although the basics of TCP/IP are the same --- as is the fact that people are still talking about ip6!
Old 28th June 2010, 23:01   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
If your internet access is provided by the housing society through another router, then that router is probably using 192.168.1.x - and that could be the reason why you are not able to access your router's admin page when all is connected. Try this.

1. Disconnect your router from the housing society's LAN
2. Connect your computer to your router - use one of the 4 Local LAN ports
3. Unplug the power for the router and then replug it after a few seconds, wait for the router to get started up
4. Login to the router's admin page (192.168.1.1)
5. Look for LAN settings, and change the LAN IP Address from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.100.1
6. Save settings (or save and reboot) - you will probably get a page cannot be displayed
7. Unplug power to your router, connect the housing society's LAN into the Internet / WAN port of the router
8. Power up the router, connect your laptops wired or wireless and check if you are online

This should work. You might also want to check if you are able to login to sites that uses SSL - like GMail / Yahoo or any banking sites. What you would be having (if I have guessed right) is cascaded routers setup, and sometimes SSL does not go through such a setup.
This solution works... I had faced same issue with my Linksys router a few months back. Just change the LAN IP address of your wifi router as ph03n!x has suggested and you are ready to rock..
Old 29th June 2010, 20:18   #28
BHPian

Thanks very much guys, useful information i have received.

The problem was resolved I was able to successfully set the router up. Turned out the issue was with the Lan cable - the one that connected the router and the computer.

The Lan IP by default was different, i think it was 10.0.0.1 and i was able to get into the admin page.
Old 29th June 2010, 21:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Ah! So much for my basic troubleshooting sequence

I mean, we used to ask customers to check cables, connections and lights before we begin with - but I guess I have grown out of those days, become rusty!!
Old 30th June 2010, 01:34   #30
BHPian

testing with a diffrent cable never flashed my mind until last evening. classic case of how little things gets missed which makes all the diffrence

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks