Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 17:06   #7501
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by neon_daytona View Post
I am a novice in using mobile phones.

I was looking for a touch screen phone with atleast 3MP camera and 3G.

ezone has a android based Acer beTouch e110 at Rs. 6400, which has most of these plus the GPS.

I have never used any GPS device and was not sure if it would be easy to use through a phone or have a separate device in the car.

My main concern is the easy of use and updated maps.

Is the phone worth buying at this price (Rs. 6400)
beTouch E110 Details - Acer Mobile

Any alternatives in the same price range?
Go for the mixcromax Andro a60,the acer you're looking at has a 400mhz processor which wont even run android 2.1
Old 27th December 2010, 19:43   #7502
Senior - BHPian

N82 IS one of the better models from nokia. you need to evaluate other models and compare them with non-CZ lenses to evaluate my statement. I meant that there are CZ lenses badly implemented in nokia (and elsewhere), and there are better non CZ phones. Then again, it was my own observation and I could be totally wrong. But I have stopped widening my pupils just because I see CZ in specs.
Old 27th December 2010, 19:43   #7503
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My "main" camera is only 5Mp. I suppose this influences my disappointment in the result of 5Mp on the phone. I suppose one might say that it would have been worse without the CZ lens!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
thad - why not judge basis the snaps I ve put up - in my mind they are the clearest indicator of the quality levels of carl zeiss lenses on the nokia phones and the nokia phone camera abilities!

Both you guys have not taken into consideration the "man behind the lens" factor.

Have you guys seen pics by our resident photographer, Rudra Sen from a mobile? There were spectacular pics by him taken from a mobile. Cant remember which thread though.

Shankar.balan, I am not questioning either you or new phone's capabilities.
Old 27th December 2010, 20:04   #7504
BANNED

Ran out of time, so here is the link to Rudraji's pic from a mobile. Scroll down to see which mobile that is, and how he could do it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post393673
Old 28th December 2010, 00:29   #7505
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
thad - why not judge basis the snaps I ve put up - in my mind they are the clearest indicator of the quality levels of carl zeiss lenses on the nokia phones and the nokia phone camera abilities!
Shankar, your pics are better than mine for the landscapes, although I'd say there is a certain "flattening" (I don't know how to describe). That seems to happen even more on my N82.

Your flower illustrates how good it is at macro. I put a picture of a butterfly on another forum, and nobody could believe that it was taken with a phone!
Old 28th December 2010, 10:12   #7506
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

All I am submitting here is that I ve always been enamoured of Carl Zeiss lenses - my dad's ancient pair of second world war vintage binocs more than convinced me as a kid that Carl Zeiss was IT in the lens world!!

My own Binocs are very good - they are a Nikon and the clarity is amazing. I dont deny for a moment that there are other lens manufacturers who may be as good as my impression of Carl Zeiss warrants.

Now over the last few years when Carl Zeiss lenses have been adapted by Sony into their Cybershot cameras, that was more than enough reason for me to buy a digi cam - either a point and shoot type or a more hi tech type. From the older T9 to the newer H10, H50 and T90 etc etc - all have been very good for my use.

Ive been using these Sony Cybershot cameras of various types/ models now for around 6 years or so. And more importantly getting superb results from them - I do take some time and compose the photo before clicking.

I am not claiming that I am an expert photographer and I do not have any super fancy equipment either - but what I ve got seems to serve my purposes very well indeed.

When I saw that Nokia had formed an alliance with Carl Zeiss for the camera aspect on their mobile phones I just automatically went onto that bandwagon and I have so far not been disappointed. From the N78 and then N82 and now N8 - all have worked very well indeed for me.
Old 28th December 2010, 11:19   #7507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Ran out of time, so here is the link to Rudraji's pic from a mobile. Scroll down to see which mobile that is, and how he could do it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...tml#post393673
Isn't it more about composition than quality of instrument in this picture?
Old 28th December 2010, 11:33   #7508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
From Shankar and Vivek... contradictory points of view on the Nokia Carl Zeiss optics!

My "main" camera is only 5Mp. I suppose this influences my disappointment in the result of 5Mp on the phone. I suppose one might say that it would have been worse without the CZ lens!

Of course, diamond is diamond, but there will always be a difference between 1ct and 0.0001ct!
My old 3MP Sony P&S camera takes much better pictures than a 12MP N8 phone camera. Its all about the sensor quality,size & the optics than about increasing the pixel density. In that sense, till date no mobile camera is able to capture images at-par with a dedicated still camera.
Its just that you can teach a monkey to swim, but it cannot beat a dolphin.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:14   #7509
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Agree with you on the point about megapixels. Yes, a dedicated camera is meant only for photography and in that sense it is the right horse for that course.

The N8 mobile is a very versatile machine and gives you a superbly convenient point and shoot option for capturing images at certain times when it may be inconvenient to switch on, focus, zoom and use the dedicated camera. In my opinion the results it is able to achieve are very good indeed.

I do certainly think the photos that I got with my Sony Cybershot H10 Still Camera are quite comparable with those that I took with my N8.

The various photos I took with both instruments look lovely on my computer screen and I enjoy using them as wallpapers.

Incidentally, I have taken loads of pics of various Golf courses around the world with my old Sony Cybershot DSC T9 point and shoot camera which had Carl Zeiss optics. 6 mega pixel.

Those pictures were of such good quality that they were adjudged to be of print ready quality in Golf Line Magazine - I have the live examples with me and yes, they've come out very well in print also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
My old 3MP Sony P&S camera takes much better pictures than a 12MP N8 phone camera. Its all about the sensor quality,size & the optics than about increasing the pixel density. In that sense, till date no mobile camera is able to capture images at-par with a dedicated still camera.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 28th December 2010 at 12:17.
Old 28th December 2010, 12:18   #7510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
Thats what people used to say about all digital cameras in 90s. Its about "when" and not "if" technology would be able to cram more photo cells in small sensors used in camera phones.
Old 28th December 2010, 22:41   #7511
BHPian

Hello,

I am looking for a business phone in the range of Rs 15k to Rs18K with following features

1. GPS navigation, compass etc
2. Good camera
3. 3G
4. Querty

I have in mind Nokia E72. Please advise.
Old 29th December 2010, 00:29   #7512
Senior - BHPian

N72 is a good phone but you can also look at the N97 mini as it gives you the dual benefit of touch screen & physical querty keypad. Comes with a 5mp camera with LED flash & Carl Zeiss optics. Plus comes with Free Navigation Maps

You can check the complete list of features Here

The street prices are within your budget I think.

If you want it to be strictly business then you should check the N72 & equivalent BB but I doubt if you would have any good BB model(other than Curve which is very basic) in that range.

Last edited by Technocrat : 29th December 2010 at 00:30.
Old 30th December 2010, 13:49   #7513
Senior - BHPian

Looking for a long time for a phone which is:
1. Looks like a phone.
2. Qwerty+Touchscreen(preferably a flipout since I want larger screen)
3. Atleast 3G
4. GPS
5. FM radio
6. Camera. Not too much inclined on the image quality. Front facing camera can be given a miss.
7. Open source. I am really very much interested in Android.

Any suggestions?
Right now Dell streak looks to be good but with no FM. But still 30k is way to high a price for that.

All in all I want a pocket-able PC replacement. With GPS and phone functionality.

Any suggestions?

OT: Any movie player I can install on E63 for time being? The default one refuses to play different movie formats. The Dvix player gets expired after every few months.

Last edited by download2live : 30th December 2010 at 13:50.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:00   #7514
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@download2live.
I simple love my xperia x10 mini pro from sony ericsson. It meets all the requirements you have stated.
I bought it 3 months back for 16K in Chroma. The OTA upgrade of 2.1 made my day last month. Above all, the phone has been functioning just about beautifully as I wanted.
Old 30th December 2010, 15:40   #7515
BHPian

Any idea if there is a dual sim andriod with wifi coming soon? I found some GSMART on gsmarena for Android+2SIM, but that looked pathetic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks