Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 14:58   #7621
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Whenever I see LG Optimus One, I wonder if there is an Optimus Prime!

The peculiar thing is that I don't even watch movies. I had to find out from Google where the name comes from, but still, somehow, it had entered my cultural consciousness.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:25   #7622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Now anybody knows how to get this security code unlocked? I tried all usual stuff found in net - like typing in #pw+CODE+1#, where the CODE is the unique master security PIN. None worked. Is there any way I can get this unlocked?
Did you try formatting the phone? It will wipe out ALL data on phone along with security code.
Old 17th January 2011, 16:57   #7623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This question is about Nokia 3120 classic (Not the older 3120)...
...Is there any way I can get this unlocked?
clevermax, your best bet is a Nokia Care Center. Find out the nearest one from the Nokia website -> Store locator. You will have to take your bill along with. They'll flash the phone memory and reset the code. Like geeta said, they'll charge you for the service. When my brother had to update the firmware in his 5130XpressMusic, they charged Rs.300.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Did you try formatting the phone? It will wipe out ALL data on phone along with security code.
3120 Classic is an S40 phone (Nokia OS). The maximum you can do by yourself is to restore default settings (Type *#7780# -> Enter security code). This will NOT wipe out any data from the phone, except the new profiles that you have created. Formatting the phone memory from the phone is possible only with S60 and above.

EDIT: You can try flashing the phone using the Nokia Software Updater utility (Be careful not to brick the phone - make sure the battery is fully charged, and you have the charger ready, the PC is stable, and you have a stable and fast internet connection). It might reset the security code, but I'm not sure.

Last edited by silversteed : 17th January 2011 at 17:00.
Old 17th January 2011, 17:01   #7624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Does anyone have Windows Phone 7 devices here at T-Bhp? Hows does it work out here in India? Is the marketplace and live services all working on standard GSM networks?
Also, has anyone ordered any phones from Amazon? Would I have to pay customs or other taxes if I get it shipped from Amazon US? This devices is costing me $534.99 which comes to about Rs. 24,206 including shipping.
I don't have HD7, but something close - HD2 running WP7
Can't comment on Marketplace or XBox Live, since they don't work on HD2.

Flipkart sells Hd7 for 27.5K (Htc Hd7 Price In India: Buy HTC HD7: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
I thought I could sync my Outlook with the OS, just like I used to do with my old WM 6.x devices. But thats not to be. The more I read into WP7, the more I find limitations with tinkering/cooking rom for that platform. I guess I will wait for some time till it gets more "fun" to tinker with.
The sync software for WP7 is the (~250+ MB bloated) Zune. Sync with Outlook works only if you have exchange account. Otherwise you need a Windows Live Account. WP7 can sync with GMail, Yahoo or Facebook accounts and all contacts in those accounts become your phone contacts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Get hold of MS employee and crack a deal, heard all of them got HTC powered by Win 7
If thats the case, I feel for MSFT employees, who have to put up with this feature-challenged OS

Quote:
Enough of flip open / slider models. My last two phones were SE and either flip open or slide open types. Both went kaput due the connector between the two parts getting torn or damaged. !
My wife had 6270, the sliding model. Every 3rd or 4th month the screen went blank with display being damaged. We had enough of it and bought Nokia E52 (since we needed a alpha numeric keypad). At 10.5K, E52 with 3G, WiFi, GPS, car stand and with 3.5M camera makes it VFM. We got screen protector & a travel bag as gifts.

(During our search for alpha-numeric phones with 3G, WiFi & GPS, we found just 2 models - Nokia E52 & Blackberry Pearl 3G. E52 is no longer available freely. But plenty of Qwerty phone were available. I feel the age of alpha-numeric keypads phones (with advanced features) has come to an end.)
Old 17th January 2011, 17:51   #7625

@Silversteed: May be your brother was charged Rs.300/- but when I talked to them they said they will charge Rs.400/- (3 months ago) . Even Nokia Software Updater utility does not reset the security code. It is used to upgrade the mobile software only.
Old 17th January 2011, 18:14   #7626
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
3120 Classic is an S40 phone (Nokia OS). The maximum you can do by yourself is to restore default settings (Type *#7780# -> Enter security code). This will NOT wipe out any data from the phone, except the new profiles that you have created. Formatting the phone memory from the phone is possible only with S60 and above.
It can be formatted with a flashing cable (Connects to terminals hidden under battery). Most mobile repair shops would be able to get it done in a day or two for 2 -300.
Old 17th January 2011, 21:24   #7627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeta View Post
I have the same set and unfortunately I have already faced this problem three months ago but I recovered it after some tries. Better you go to Nokia Service center and get your phone updated. They will charge Rs.400 for that but your whole data will get lost. If you want some other option you can see this link. Security Master-code calculator for Nokia mobile phones I don't know this will work or not but you can try at least.
Thanks everyone. I tried the master code stuff also but none worked so far. Looks like I have to take it to a service center to re-flash it.

Last edited by clevermax : 17th January 2011 at 21:26.
Old 18th January 2011, 09:58   #7628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeta View Post
@Silversteed: May be your brother was charged Rs.300/- but when I talked to them they said they will charge Rs.400/- (3 months ago) . Even Nokia Software Updater utility does not reset the security code. It is used to upgrade the mobile software only.
Perhaps the rates are different in metros and non-metro cities. Or perhaps they increased the rates in the last 6+months.

You must be right about the security code thingy, because i never had a chance to experiment that, and it's been quite some time since i've used the NSU

Quote:
It can be formatted with a flashing cable (Connects to terminals hidden under battery). Most mobile repair shops would be able to get it done in a day or two for 2 -300.
Yes, that's right. Even Nokia folks do it the same way Better to take the phone to the authorized repair centre, right? Just like getting our cars serviced at a reputed A.S.S. than the roadside workshop

Quote:
Thanks everyone. I tried the master code stuff also but none worked so far. Looks like I have to take it to a service center to re-flash it.
The right choice

Last edited by silversteed : 18th January 2011 at 10:00.
Old 18th January 2011, 12:01   #7629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Yes, that's right. Even Nokia folks do it the same way Better to take the phone to the authorized repair centre, right? Just like getting our cars serviced at a reputed A.S.S. than the roadside workshop
The right choice
Unless a phone is in warranty, its almost always better to visit "non authorized" shops. Reason is, better price of spares and knowledgeable workmen.

Nokia charges 6000 just to replace LCD of N82, while in open market the same Samsung LCD is available for 1400 and service charges are approx 500. And Chi Mei LCD is available for even lesser.

And just like cars, its better to buy spares directly from "OEM" and not from A.S.S. Example:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...sts-22-5k.html
Old 18th January 2011, 12:36   #7630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless a phone is in warranty, its almost always better to visit "non authorized" shops. Reason is, better price of spares and knowledgeable workmen.

Nokia charges 6000 just to replace LCD of N82, while in open market the same Samsung LCD is available for 1400 and service charges are approx 500. And Chi Mei LCD is available for even lesser.
I can vouch for the price. I broke the LCD of my N73 last year. Nokia Care told me ~3k estimate. I got a 'duplicate' LCD for ~600 and labour charges of ~200.

I saw the way the guy replaced the LCD. Things that are to be taken out with extreme care, in an ESD protected environment were casually pulled out (If I had the screwdriver kit and a soldering station, I would've done it perfectly myself). Within a month, the phone started acting up. The screen would go blank in between, and battery backup got reduced greatly. I'd given my friend's 1650 for replacing a cracked screen, and he still uses the phone without any problems.

With Nokia care, at least they give you a 30 days warranty on the repair job. That's why I insisted on the authorized service center
Old 18th January 2011, 13:03   #7631
Senior - BHPian

You can use Nokia OEM (Samsung) and it would work just fine.

And ESD Protected... even Nokia A.S.S. does things the same way just in A.C. room with lesser dust.
Old 19th January 2011, 17:09   #7632

Even some mobile shop keepers format the mobile phone for just Rs.100 only. But all the data gets lost. Better you make a backup of your phone and then format it.
Old 23rd January 2011, 13:27   #7633
BHPian

Wireless connection settings

Friends,

Just got a Samsung Char 335 for Dad. An exceptional phone for the price. Had to choose between it and C3. This was the obvious choice and much much better.

However I am facing problems with wireless connection. I am unable to connect to my home wireless BSNL broadband network.

The settings displayed in the phone are:

Name: "Network name"
Security Type: WPA2
IP address type: Dynamic IP
IP address: Not connected
Proxy address: 0.0.0.0
Proxy port:0
AP Mac: xx-xx-xx-xx(shows actual in alpha numeric)
Device Mac: xx-xx-xx-xx(shows actual in alpha numeric)

When I go into Edit settings following are the options:

Set Name: "Network Name" (Editable)
Bearer: WiFi
AP Name: "Network Name"
Auth Type: WPA2
Encryption Type:AES
Password: "Password of my network" (Editable)
Proxy: Off
Address:0.0.0.0
Port:0
Linger time:90
Advanced Settings

On entering Advance Settings the options are:
"Check box": Static IP: Status Checked
Locla phone IP:"IP address for my mobile"
Subnet Mask: "255.255.255.0"
Gateway Address""x.x.x.x"
DNS1:"x.x.x.x"
DNS2:"x.x.x.x"

I have saved all the above settings, and these are same which I use for my android apart from the IP address. Now I am able to connect my android to the network but Samsung is not able to connect it displays ettor " Authentication failed".

I have WPA/WPA2PSK security setup in my modem/router, have tried by keeping the network Open also but to no avail, same error is displayed.

Any pointer to any error in settings. Need help from all you experts.

-Rohit
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:04   #7634
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wireless connection settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Static IP: Status Checked
Have you tried turning off manual (static) IP and using DHCP?
Old 23rd January 2011, 16:42   #7635
BHPian

^^
Yes I have tried the dhcp method also. In fact even my android does not connect w/o a static address

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks