Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2011, 15:23   #7711
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Meego has been given 16 months to thrive or get killed.
How it can thrive when the top bosses and product planning is not making a commercial launch ? Platform development is OK but no platform matures in absence on commercial launch.

It's another story that Nokias most nimble competitor mostly develops during productization itself
Old 11th February 2011, 16:16   #7712
BHPian

Nokia + Android would have been EPIC
Old 11th February 2011, 16:52   #7713
BHPian

I'm wondering why Nokia chose Windows Phone instead of Android. Android would have been the best platform for them and would have given them a huge market instantly. I realise that Windows Phone is very good and is nothing like Windows Mobile, but the platform is very new and lacks a lot of features. Windows Phone is now at a point where the IOS platform was when the Iphone was first launched. And there haven't been many updates since the release either. Another potential problem is that the requirements for Windows Phone are standardized( screen size, processor etc ) meaning Nokia has to create completely new models and could also run the risk of all their highend models having quite similar specs.
Old 11th February 2011, 17:28   #7714
Team-BHP Support

All those bashing Windows OS, how many have you actually used the Windows Phone? Just curious because I didn't know there was any Windows Phone available in India.
Old 11th February 2011, 18:09   #7715
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
All those bashing Windows OS, how many have you actually used the Windows Phone? Just curious because I didn't know there was any Windows Phone available in India.
I have .. and also I have used WP7 if you would like to know,

The only reason Windows Mobile and WP7 sold was exchange server and enterprise deals.

Any why exactly you think there were no windows phone in India ? Perhaps you mean WP7 by windows phone
Asus , HTC , Samsung OMNIA were Windows mobiles sold here but in miniscule numbers.

In this whole deal Microsoft is a clear winner they got a major OEM to manufacture WP7 but then what is there for Nokia ?

Last edited by amitk26 : 11th February 2011 at 18:13.
Old 11th February 2011, 19:22   #7716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Any why exactly you think there were no windows phone in India ? Perhaps you mean WP7 by windows phone
Asus , HTC , Samsung OMNIA were Windows mobiles sold here but in miniscule numbers.
he is talking about windows phone (7), earlier versions were called windows mobile. The two do not share anything among themselves, including any apps. Whihc is major cause of concern for developers.

I have WM6.5 phone and at times I see latest apps on android or iOS make WM6.5 look like decades old.

And while newer developments are leap frogging to WP7, WP7 has it's own isues to deal with (no copy paste?)
Old 11th February 2011, 20:50   #7717
BANNED

Got it a few minutes back..
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-110220110821.jpg  

Old 11th February 2011, 22:49   #7718
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I have .. and also I have used WP7 if you would like to know,

The only reason Windows Mobile and WP7 sold was exchange server and enterprise deals.

In this whole deal Microsoft is a clear winner they got a major OEM to manufacture WP7 but then what is there for Nokia ?
Whats there for nokia?. Interesting Q
Nokia gets to return to its sales figures of yester years before Andy and Windy seven were new kids on the block.
What say - Finally good to see Meego gogo. Our man in Havana ..I mean Helsenki has finally delivered
@Samurai - For some folks bashing the upcoming star and then jumping on the band wagon once it catches up speed is part of their designated responsibilities...so take it easy. It was andorid before, now its WP7.

Vijay
Old 11th February 2011, 23:31   #7719
Senior - BHPian

I think the number of apps on WM7 will start growing faster. Nokia's hardware and efficiency will result in a great combination.
Ultimately, it will be hardware options plus the software that is going to win customers.
Old 12th February 2011, 00:54   #7720
Senior - BHPian

WP7 has been my regular phone for a month. Earlier it was WM6.5 (with HTC SenseUI). WP7 is not yet ready for enterprise. But it can sync with Google, Hotmail, Exchange & Facebook.

UI is intuitive, uncluttered (like their desktop OS), its fast (at least on my HD2) and stable. Right now its lacks some basic operation like cut/copy/paste or forwarding a contact. Microsoft can address in an update and that will close the gap.

I also have Android 2.3 on my phone and problem I see is fragmentation, ie my Android phone is different from say Samsung or SE Android .

WP7 is concept-copy of iPhone (unlike Android, which a feature copy of iPhone). Microsoft have done a commendable job. Microsoft were embarrassed to disclose the number of phones they had sold since its launch in Oct last year. Their problem was penetration. Now with Nokia they have got what they lacked. This deal is a tremendous achievement for Microsoft.

For Nokia, this is the beginning of end of innovation. Bing deal killed Yahoo's innovation in search. Nokia is headed that way. They may sustain for few more years and lack of margins will force them to be a marketing company than a technology company.

PS: I feel Nokia started losing their way starting in 2005, when they launched N71/N72 series phone. Those phone had too many tiny buttons and cluttered UI. After the launch of iPhone in 2007, the decline, accelerated. Overconfidence of the top management, that they can dictate the market, led them to their fall. To think of it, Nokia wanted to get into Netbook market in 2009.

Last edited by msdivy : 12th February 2011 at 01:09.
Old 12th February 2011, 01:06   #7721
BHPian

HTC is offering both Android & W7 version of the same phone. Nokia could have kept Symbian plus added the two new ones as well. Or is that an impossible scenerio.
Old 12th February 2011, 01:42   #7722
BHPian

Microsoft Phone 7 Stays Alive | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
(unlike Android, which a feature copy of iPhone)
That is just ignorance.try spending times with actual non-modified versions of both OS'es

Last edited by Bluengel180 : 12th February 2011 at 01:49.
Old 12th February 2011, 09:57   #7723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjoy3 View Post
Whats there for nokia?. Interesting Q
Nokia gets to return to its sales figures of yester years before Andy and Windy seven were new kids on the block.
What say - Finally good to see Meego gogo. Our man in Havana ..I mean Helsenki has finally delivered
@Samurai - For some folks bashing the upcoming star and then jumping on the band wagon once it catches up speed is part of their designated responsibilities...so take it easy. It was andorid before, now its WP7.

Vijay
And for some people being a fanboy of New kid on the block Is the job.
WP7 comes with following strings
1. Standard chassis defination
2.not more then 6 oem apps
3. No Ui customization by oem
Perfect solution for Taiwanenese and Gwangdoon based OEM but not for Nokia.I played with WP7 last August
It was good but tight control is what keeps differentiation players away.
About the android things all my comments were correct I stand by them some of them got afdrrssed in froyo and GB but not all perticularly the lack of mac security, even the honeycomb will not addrress that.
Old 12th February 2011, 10:02   #7724
BHPian

WP7 has a long long way to go. M$ released an uncooked OS just to get into the market before it was too late. Even the bada OS was way mature in its v1.0.

Quote:
WP7-specific limitations
  • No system-wide file manager
  • No Bluetooth file transfers
  • No USB mass storage mode
  • Limited third-party apps availability
  • No Flash (nor Silverlight) support in the browser
  • Too dependent on Zune software for file management and syncing
  • No video calls
  • New ringtones available only through the Marketplace
  • Music player lacks equalizer presets
  • No multitasking
  • No copy/paste
  • No DivX/XviD video support (automatic transcoding provided by Zune software)
  • No sign of free Bing maps Navigation so far
  • No internet tethering support
  • No handwriting recognition support
Source - HTC HD7 review: Dim the lights - GSMArena.com
Old 12th February 2011, 22:15   #7725
Distinguished - BHPian

Send not to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for Nokia.

I'll never buy another one.

Most Viewed