Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 17:12   #10381
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Finally settled on a brand new iPhone 4s 8GB.
=================
Stupid may as it sound, I'm holding on to 2 iPhones right now, but I'm sure they are worth it and will ensure I have a trouble free experience.
It doesn't sound stupid at all! I cycled through almost all versions of the iPhone and still have one on me as my primary number as well as official no-nonsense content manager ( Office + Office -2 + Home)

I recently bought a Moto G because I urgently needed a dual SIM phone but after a replacement and working out chinks with inconsistent apps and a bad backbone OS that doesn't 'just work' with all apps like it was designed from scratch to do so; I have retired to using two phones. This thing offers bang for your buck like no other but the compatibility mismatch at sub-levels of software and finer details from iOS spoiled me to keep using an iPhone 5, along with.

P.S. Apple just dropped the official iPhone 4S price to 24K.
Old 9th April 2014, 23:29   #10382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
That's an excellent decision man.

IN OUR notes installation, we can't forward emails with attachments on Windows phones. That was my deal breaker!

That's something few realize upfront.

I didn't go for the 4s myself because at that time I didn't know that the os 7.1 will fix all the lag issues!

I have been using the 4s with IBM notes for the last 1 week and it's quite good. I actually don't miss my blackberry, which I still think is one of the best phones for office emails.

The phone isn't as fast as 5, but good enough. The battery drains faster though.
Just one question, doesn't airdrop work in 4s? I don't see it in the notification centre at all.
Old 10th April 2014, 23:34   #10383
BHPian

Need some inputs here.. I need to choose between a used 1 year old well kept Samsung Galaxy S3 and a new Motorola Moto G. The Galaxy S3 is costing approx 13K while the Motorola (16GB) retails at 14K. Have checked the specs and they are more or less evenly matched, with the scales tilting towards the S3. The only cons that I can see is in the once flagship phone of Samsung is the single sim as opposed to dual sims in all other phones today, but then the Motorola offering has only 16GB storage, a non removable battery and uncertain service network.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Cheers !
Old 23rd April 2014, 14:28   #10384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Need some inputs here.. I need to choose between a used 1 year old well kept Samsung Galaxy S3 and a new Motorola Moto G.
Any suggestions would be welcome.
Cheers !
I have been using moto g for a few weeks now , yes only 16gb and sealed battery is a downside but the phone is pretty fast and serves all my purpose very well and I feel its value for money. I guess you can buy OTG cable and use a pen drive for all your storage needs

Which is the best keypad phone available ? My father wants a good old keypad phone which can store lot of phone numbers. He is currently using samsung galaxy 5 which is quite old. He has nearly 2.5k Contacts all of which are important to him and cannot afford to loose any of it .

He does not use 3g / 2g or any other multimedia services .
Old 23rd April 2014, 15:49   #10385
BHPian

Need to replace the aging Galaxy S(I9000). Confused between S4 and Nexus 5(32GB). Flipkart has S4 in the range of 27/28K, but in retail stores we get it for Rs 31K if you exchange your old smartphone. Bit scared about buying it from flipkart as there are reports on selling used S4's. Things worrying me about the Nexus 5 are the issues like battery drain, wifi issues etc. Are those fixed in the latest kitkat update? Can anybody confirm? Is S4 a better buy than Nexus 5?
Old 23rd April 2014, 16:28   #10386
BHPian

Guys selling my Nexus 4. It still has 6 months of warranty left. Price that I am wanting is 16k. Hope this is a decent price?
Old 23rd April 2014, 17:12   #10387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Need to replace the aging Galaxy S(I9000). Confused between S4 and Nexus 5(32GB). Flipkart has S4 in the range of 27/28K, but in retail stores we get it for Rs 31K if you exchange your old smartphone. Bit scared about buying it from flipkart as there are reports on selling used S4's. Things worrying me about the Nexus 5 are the issues like battery drain, wifi issues etc. Are those fixed in the latest kitkat update? Can anybody confirm? Is S4 a better buy than Nexus 5?
I would not touch Samsung with a barge pole. While the hardware on the S4 is pretty okay, the touchwiz is crap and that is putting it very lightly. With Nexus 5 you not only get better hardware like faster processor/gpu, camera with optical image stabilization, wireless charging built in, you also get stock Android which means lag free fast performance and instant updates.
I have been using one for last 4 months and I love it. Its very fast and very stable and with the latest camera update, the camera is pretty darn nice as well. Although I am not facing any battery drain or wifi issues, there are reports that some people are facing it. Even then Kit Kat 4.4.3 is supposed to take care of all these issues. Go with Nexus 5. You will not be disappointed.
Old 23rd April 2014, 19:43   #10388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I would not touch Samsung with a barge pole.
Thanks man. Would order an Nexus 5 Black 32 GB this weekend from the google play store. I assume thats where you get the lowest price.
Old 24th April 2014, 09:17   #10389
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks man. Would order an Nexus 5 Black 32 GB this weekend from the google play store. I assume thats where you get the lowest price.
Do check out flipkart and snapdeal as well. All the best!
Old 24th April 2014, 09:48   #10390
Team-BHP Support

Yup, have been using Nexus 5 and am so satisfied with it that I can't wait to pick a Nexus 6 whenever launched.

Samsung...? My best buddy has a Samsung Digital Plaza and I experience S5's & Note 3's on a regular basis & have avoided. Will continue to do so.

You can look at the HTC series as well.
Old 25th April 2014, 08:44   #10391
BHPian

Quote:
Go for the Nexus5, its the best one in this price range, unfortunately its the least marketed phone. I have been using it since Dec. Visually not a stunner, you will have to tell people thats its a N5. Hardware performance is great, only small let down would be the battery.
Old 26th April 2014, 17:43   #10392
Senior - BHPian

Please suggest a few dual-SIM handsets.

I might soon have to get a company number and I am thinking if I should just carry one handset.

There is no specific budget so far. The company will pay for it.

I don't have any OS preference too at this stage.
I am not keen on Samsung though.
Old 26th April 2014, 23:07   #10393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Please suggest a few dual-SIM handsets.

I might soon have to get a company number and I am thinking if I should just carry one handset.

There is no specific budget so far. The company will pay for it.

I don't have any OS preference too at this stage.
I am not keen on Samsung though.
Moto G will suit you if you are not into too much of gaming. Its a hassle free phone with good OS and dual sim with a great battery back up. You can setup your company email account also. It has none of the bloatware of Samsung. Its available on Flipkart. If you plan to go for it, take the 16GB one. You can also purchase a hybrid pen drive as Moto G has on the go feature.
Old 28th April 2014, 16:06   #10394
BHPian

extreme_torque/Sheel/sansvk, Thanks for the recommendation. Ordered Nexus 5 32GB black on Thursday evening and received the phone on Saturday evening. Tinkering with it for last two days. Immediate observation is the snappiness in UI when compared to my SG S3. Did a factory reset on my S3 and handed over to my wife. Her Galaxy S(I9000) will now be used by kids for games etc. :-)
Old 28th April 2014, 16:26   #10395
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone in this forum used a Sony Xperia Z1 or Z1 compact? I am confused between Xperia Z1 and Nexus 5. Please help!

Most Viewed