Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2019, 10:21   #11341
BHPian

Re: Mid-range phone - need suggestions

+1. I have been using V30+ since the day it was launched in India. It feels super premium, especially in silver.
The build quality is very good. Recently I dropped my phone from about 3 feet. For a moment, I thought it cracked. To my surprise, not a single scratch, let alone cracks. ( I dont use any protectors like tempered glass
or back cover)

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
For a little more money, I got a (close-to) a flagship model. Bought LG V30+ from flipkart for 23.5 k two weeks back with B&O earphones. I am very happy with the mobile and you too will be, specially if you like music thanks to the quad DAC.

Give it a try, but buy only from flipkart. The one from amazon is not B&O version. Mobile comes with 128 GB storage and 4 GB RAM and amazing display with a easy to handle size though the display is 6 inch. And, there is no notch.

Goodluck with your search.
adithya.kp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2019, 10:31   #11342
BHPian

I can second the premium feeling and I too do not use any cover. Almost all the people who checked the mobile always surprised to hear its LG.

For under 24k, this is the most VFM I feel and I am in love with the music quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
+1. I have been using V30+ since the day it was launched in India. It feels super premium, especially in silver.
The build quality is very good. Recently I dropped my phone from about 3 feet. For a moment, I thought it cracked. To my surprise, not a single scratch, let alone cracks. ( I dont use any protectors like tempered glass
or back cover)
Old 10th March 2019, 10:36   #11343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishv View Post
I can second the premium feeling and I too do not use any cover. Almost all the people who checked the mobile always surprised to hear its LG.

For under 24k, this is the most VFM I feel and I am in love with the music quality.
How is the photo quality?
Old 10th March 2019, 10:58   #11344
BHPian

It has two cameras at the back. The photos from the main camera is really good and the one from wide angle camera is good for novelty.
Front facing camera is better than my earlier honor 8 pro and motorola G5.

Attaching here the 100% crop of a photo I took from the camera with no modification. Original is also shown to show the dynamic ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-crop01.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-crop02.jpg  

Last edited by girishv : 10th March 2019 at 11:00.
Old 10th March 2019, 18:51   #11345
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

I have been on the LG flagship train for many years now. Excellent hardware but if only they could get their software update/android security patch update cycle to be at par with competition.

The v30 is still at Oreo 8.0 with August 2018 Patch.

Planning to get the v40 which is still at 8.1 pie has been around for some time now :(
Old 11th March 2019, 13:50   #11346
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Red Liner - I have been using the LG v30+ for more than a year now. Picked it up when i dunked my iphone 6s into the swimming pool. Its been over 15 months now and i havent seen any degradation on performance as well as battery life.

Pictures are quite sharp and true to life. However, i do feel that the selfies come out a bit plasticky. Maybe its an issue with the settings that i have.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-20181014_180723.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-20181019_180656.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-20181019_180711.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-20181117_194407.jpg  

Old 11th March 2019, 17:56   #11347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Hey Red Liner - I have been using the LG v30+ for more than a year now. Picked it up when i dunked my iphone 6s into the swimming pool. Its been over 15 months now and i havent seen any degradation on performance as well as battery life.

Pictures are quite sharp and true to life. However, i do feel that the selfies come out a bit plasticky. Maybe its an issue with the settings that i have.
Bad selfies are a known issue with the v30+. I usually avoid taking them unless i find a situation to use the wide angle option

Ordered the v40 now. Waiting
Old 11th March 2019, 18:15   #11348
Distinguished - BHPian

So I have a moto z play that still works quite well. Its perfect to use on the road thanks to the 2 day battery life.

The only thing that sucks is the camera.

I won't get more than a few thousands for this phone which still works like brand new. I am pretty careful with my things, and if i buy something it usually stays with me for a long time.

Now i am considering buying a phone primarily for its camera performance, battery be damned. Move my primary sim card to this phone for everyday regular usage.

I will retain my moto z play for outdoor navigation (water repellance helps) and slot my bsnl sim in there for use as and when i need it. The only downside is i will need to carry two phones when i travel.

After tons of research, i keep seeing the pixel 3 coming up as the best camera phone out there. The details are just amazing. That coupled with regular updates to the latest and greatest makes this a good primary phone. The secondary phone will be put to more abusive duties like motorcycle navigation where access to a charger may be limited.

1. What does the pixel 3 retail for these days during a big sale? I much prefer a smaller phone that is easier to carry.
2. Should i wait for the pixel lite series? Will they be cheaper with the same camera set up?

I am not a gamer, nor an audiophile. I use the phone to take pictures, and do a lot of reading and emailing on it. So a good top of the line screen and camera are the two most important things to me.
Old 11th March 2019, 22:20   #11349
BHPian

Quote:
After tons of research, i keep seeing the pixel 3 coming up as the best camera phone out there.
For that money you can get upcoming Nokia 9 Pure View

Also don't ignore the SAR value of handset while buying a new one, check the list of recent handsets:

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-51641777_2170959576291729_2397418540962414592_n.jpg

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-51798001_2370720243019335_4897490296402608128_n.jpg
Old 12th March 2019, 13:53   #11350
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
For that money you can get upcoming Nokia 9 Pure View
Wow, this phone seems fantastic on paper! Will it come to India? Apparently Nokia will drop the 855 in it later this year.

Will wait for the DXO review, and ofcourse for it to be available in India. Dual sim, great screen, phenomenal camera and a decent battery. Add the stock android experience. Looks like this may be the "one".
Old 15th March 2019, 12:06   #11351
Distinguished - BHPian

Been digging all the reviews of the newest Samsung Midship - the S10e. Really seems like a phenomenal do it all barring the absence of night sight. Good size, great screen, decent battery, great camera, and the latest chip sets.

I'm hoping Samsung fixes that night sight soon and some mega summer sale drops the prices on this through the year.
Old 18th March 2019, 07:19   #11352
BANNED

Hey guys,

Anyone know of any reliable means to source a brand new unlocked Kyocera DuraXV LTE in India?

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-dura.jpg

Thanks in advance.
A.P.
Old 20th April 2019, 21:27   #11353
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Looking for a budget android phone for my parents under Rs. 10k. Primary requirements are a good display, slim form factor and decent build quality.

This phone will mainly be used for calling, whatsapp and Youtube. I am confused between Samsung M10 (8-9k) and Nokia 5.1 Plus (10k). These phones have a notch display which, although not a must-have for us, gives a nice premium touch.

Asus and Xiaomi are unfortunately ruled out due to poor experience with these two brands. Are there any other options worth considering?

I would appreciate some inputs from BHPians if they have used or are using phones in a similar price range. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by self_driven : 20th April 2019 at 21:30.
Old 20th April 2019, 22:38   #11354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Hi guys,

Looking for a budget android phone for my parents under Rs. 10k. Primary requirements are a good display, slim form factor and decent build quality.

This phone will mainly be used for calling, whatsapp and Youtube. I am confused between Samsung M10 (8-9k) and Nokia 5.1 Plus (10k). These phones have a notch display which, although not a must-have for us, gives a nice premium touch.

Asus and Xiaomi are unfortunately ruled out due to poor experience with these two brands. Are there any other options worth considering?

I would appreciate some inputs from BHPians if they have used or are using phones in a similar price range. Thanks in advance.
I would suggest you to go ahead with the Nokia, or take a look at the Motorola range below 15k. Samsung, especially the lower range ones, as we found out over the years is prone to glitches, bugs and lags.
Old 21st April 2019, 03:58   #11355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post

In my opinion, stay away from Nokia as the new lineup ha already been unveiled and should be in India in a month or 2.

Samsung's new M and A series are good phones unlike the previous ones. Given that you have mentioned Youtube, I would stretch by 2.5k and go for Samsung A20. The AMOLED panel is worth the extra price for viewing content.

If you can't stretch, then go for Samsung M20 (10.9k), which again offers a stutter free experience, but without AMOLED, but gains a full HD display.

Regarding M10, I would stay away from it as this phone is not guaranteed to remain stutter free for long, and you would end up replacing the phone earlier than you would with these other choices.

Stay away from Oppo, Vivo, Realme as the software is crap and your parents will be after you half the time to fix their problems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks