Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2023, 19:04   #11866
BHPian

Re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I'm wondering, where does Motorola figure on the scale of recommendations including the Pixel and Samsung that you guys are suggesting?
I have a Moto Edge 20 which although a mid ranger is a decent performer - no stutters or lag even when running all my work apps in it.

BUT, the camera is mediocre. I mean not that bad if you look at the pics in isolation - but when I compare with the photos my iPhone 13 takes, the output of the Moto are rather rubbish. Also, the iPhone gives me more usable photos per 100 clicks than the Moto would have many Androids for company.

Motorola's updates are also unpredictable. There is no Android 13 in sight and the security updates arrive only once every 2/3 months.

I had the MI A2 before and the Edge 20 feels like a worthy successor to it, but not one of the best in business.

Last edited by dragonfire : 27th February 2023 at 19:06.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 14:34   #11867
Senior - BHPian

Not sure what is Xiaomi's Logic but they are releasing only the Xiaomi 13 Pro and only one variant of this as well (12 GB/256 GB)...Pricing details below:

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-xiaomi13pro.png

Xiaomi has placed themselves higher than OnePlus and Pixel 7 and below Pixel 7 Pro and S23 Ultra and on par with S23 prior to discounts. Need to see how this strategy works out...

First sale is on 06-Mar-2023.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 16:00   #11868
BHPian

One of my friends recently bought Xiaomi 12T Pro and had a very bad experience both with their product and their support team. He was facing heating and charging issues, and it seems like there is no proper research and development on recent MI products. He purchased it during Diwali 2022, and after multiple troubleshooting attempts by the service center, they still couldn't identify the issue. Finally, he got a replacement for his new mobile one week ago, and until then, he was using an alternate MI phone given by them.

The price is meant to cover premium customers, and therefore, the product and customer service should also be premium. Let's see if it works for them. Since only a few people will buy such a mobile, most of the reviews are not getting highlighted.
raptor_diwan is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 20:09   #11869
BHPian

I was shocked to see the pricing of xiaomi 13 pro. I bought 12 pro 5 months back for 45k. Will have to look at another phone for my wife.
shikh_oberoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 10:46   #11870
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
So, instead of spending on Front and Back Screen repairs, am thinking of getting a new one.
Wise decision as replacement screens for OnePlus are exorbitant. When I change the screen and back of my wife's OP6, it was really VFM. That too at the authorised service centre. When the time came to change only the screen of he OP7T, the price didn't make sense. So just went ahead and sold it.

Quote:
Am leaning more towards Pixel 6a or S21FE. Also, is Pixel 6a available to be purchased Offline or only via Flipkart?
I have also shortlisted the 6a as a secondary phone but not too comfortable buying on Flipkart.
UOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
Well, I think the the phone that falls in your budget of 30k is Pixel 6a, as of today.
My brother managed to get a fantastic deal some time back. Not seen any good deals these days.

Quote:
P. S.: Pixel 6a for now is ONLY available via Flipkart.
Flipkart is a company I wouldn't want to deal with after hearing a lot of horror stories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
BTW, Pixel 6a won the blind smartphone survey by MKBHD the most comprehensive unbiased crowd sourced photo shoot-out, if it matters anyways.
The only thing lacking in the 6A is wireless charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi3284 View Post
Still undecided with a clear winner, finally went ahead and booked the S21FE 5G 128GB variant in Olive Color from the Samsung Shop App last night at a final price of 33k, post applying a referral code.
Congrats. What's this referral code?

Quote:
One question i had is, since they have stopped shipping the Charging Adapter along with the Mobile, is it safe to charge S21FE using the 33W Turbo Charger of Moto G that i already have, or will it harm the Battery and is recommended to purchases the Samsung 25W Travel Adapter?
Buy the charger from the Samsung website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashvek3141 View Post
With regards to adapter, I suggest you purchase the Samsung recommended adapter only or something that comes close to it. Charging with speeds beyond the maximum permissible will only damage the battery of your phone causing it’s premature wear. I have learnt this the hard way wherein I used to charge my iPhone 7 using an 18W charger; whereas the Apple recommended was 5W.
Even if you use a higher capacity the phone will only change at the speed it is designed to. No risk to the battery.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 13:06   #11871
BANNED

Has anyone here used a JioPhone - if yes, which model? And how is it as a spare 2nd phone for an old, retired person to be used only as a standby for the first phone when the first phone is out for repairs etc? Is it reliable?
Old 1st March 2023, 15:55   #11872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
I have also shortlisted the 6a as a secondary phone but not too comfortable buying on Flipkart.

Flipkart is a company I wouldn't want to deal with after hearing a lot of horror stories.
Flipkart now offers "Open Box" Delivery where the delivery guy will open the box and show the Mobile to you and you can accept if it is defect free or reject the phone. So things have improved to a certain extent.
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 18:56   #11873
Distinguished - BHPian

Amazon also list the Pixel 6a 5g.

But I seem to remember that only Flipkart is the authorised dealer? That this impacts warranty?

Confirm or deny, please folks. Also, any other reason not to buy it from Amazon (apart from it being slightly more expensive).

I'm suffering from a strong temptation to buy this phone! Hmmm... Even if it means buying from Flipkart, who I too would rather avoid.
Old 1st March 2023, 19:13   #11874
BHPian

Quote:
I'm wondering, where does Motorola figure on the scale of recommendations including the Pixel and Samsung that you guys are suggesting?
My suggestion - avoid Motorola. I'm using Edge 30 supposed to be a premium mobile from Motorola. While the performance is good enough, battery backup is pathetic. And the camera keeps crashing randomly. I've ended up in embarrassing situation where I wanted to do UPI payment but the camera just wouldn't work. Oh and I had to get charging port replaced twice within 3 weeks of purchasing this device. I'm waiting for next BBD sales to get rid of this device at earliest
Akshay6988 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:21   #11875
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay6988 View Post
My suggestion - avoid Motorola. I'm using Edge 30 supposed to be a premium mobile from Motorola. While the performance is good enough, battery backup is pathetic. And the camera keeps crashing randomly. I've ended up in embarrassing situation where I wanted to do UPI payment but the camera just wouldn't work. Oh and I had to get charging port replaced twice within 3 weeks of purchasing this device. I'm waiting for next BBD sales to get rid of this device at earliest
Thanks for this feedback. I was seriously considering the Edge 30 for my wife, as she finds her Oneplus 7T heavy and says she needs something that feels light. So I figured my choices are very limited - Moto Edge 30, Moto G52, Samsung S21 FE, Mi 11 Lite 5G.

Someone here suggested the Pixel 6a but Flipkart mentions it's weight as 178g which doesn't sound to be too lightweight. How are the ergonomics of this one? Wife has tiny hands so weight matters here. Unfortunately this phone is not available in any store to experience before buying.
Old 2nd March 2023, 08:35   #11876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
Flipkart now offers "Open Box" Delivery where the delivery guy will open the box and show the Mobile to you and you can accept if it is defect free or reject the phone. So things have improved to a certain extent.
I know. But you have very little time to check. Many problems are discovered after setting up the phone and using it. The delivery guy is not going to wait so long. Besides I think of it in another way. Flipkart cheated many people. It's not some employees but the organisation itself from the top. Unless people teach them a lesson by buying from competitors, they will still have the motivation to cheat. Amazon are not saints but they are 100 times better than Flipkart.

Quote:
But I seem to remember that only Flipkart is the authorised dealer? That this impacts warranty?
There is a video by techwiser on this topic. They bought a Pixel 6 from Amazon and it said 1 year warranty. The seller later confirmed it was seller warranty. When they contacted Google, they said international warranty is only applicable for models that are officially sold in the country. So since the 6A is officially sold in India you can claim warranty irrespective of where you buy it from as long as you have an invoice.

Quote:
Confirm or deny, please folks. Also, any other reason not to buy it from Amazon (apart from it being slightly more expensive).
I can't think of any reason not to buy from Amazon. But I have stated a reason not to buy from Flipkart above.

Quote:
I'm suffering from a strong temptation to buy this phone! Hmmm... Even if it means buying from Flipkart, who I too would rather avoid.
I'm in the same boat. Just waiting for some better offers. Besides I'll be joining my ship shortly. So if there is a possibility that it's trading in the US, I'll buy it there.
pedrolourenco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 11:23   #11877
BHPian

Got my S21FE delivered couple of days ago. Jotting down few initial impressions:

- Design wise, it wont win any contests, but i found it classy and elegant. Feels slick to hold it in the hand. No Glass Back gimmicks. Got a Spigen Rugged Armor Case for it, still it feels slimmer than my previous OP 8T.

- Got a fresh Feb 23 manufactured unit with Android 13 pre-installed out of the box. 1st check for updates and it installed the Feb 23 Security Patch. Sorted there.

- Still getting familiarized with the One UI interface, but i am liking it so far. Still exploring its capabilities.

- Have not faced any Heating Issue so far in my 2 days of normal usage.

- Battery Life is decent. I have enabled the option to stop charging at 85% and i have got around 3.5 Hrs SOT. Hope it improves more as it learns and adjusts to the usage pattern.

- Gorgeous Screen. Bright and Vivid. I was surprised at the Brightness of the Screen at just 1/4th level of the Brightness Slider. I used to get this amount of Brightness at about 3/4th level on my 8T.

- Stereo speakers are pretty good and loud.

- Yet to explore its Camera capabilities. But, am sure i will not be dissapointed in that aspect.

Will try to post few more updates after using it for few days along with some camera samples. Cheers.

Quote:
I too have my reservations with Flipkart. One more reason that stopped me from buying 6a.

Quote:
Congrats. What's this referral code?
People owning Samsung devices can create and share referral codes with others, benefitting both of them. I was able to get additional 5% off on the price.

Quote:
Buy the charger from the Samsung website.
Already ordered and will arrive today.
abhi3284 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2023, 12:06   #11878
BHPian

Finally Jio 5G activated on my Pixel 6 in e,-SIM. Fabulous speed. Also have Airtel 5G in my physical SIM, can't get better than this!
amartya_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2023, 14:25   #11879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amartya_bhp View Post
Finally Jio 5G activated on my Pixel 6 in e,-SIM. Fabulous speed. Also have Airtel 5G in my physical SIM, can't get better than this!
A bit off-topic but Jio says 5G is free as a trial. Does it mean unlimited 5G data or the same data as per your current plan at 5G speeds?
Old 8th March 2023, 07:40   #11880
BHPian

Quote:
A bit off-topic but Jio says 5G is free as a trial. Does it mean unlimited 5G data or the same data as per your current plan at 5G speeds?
Cannot exactly comment on this as I have not exceeded my quota of 200 GB, but from T&C, it appears that it is unlimited within the limits of FUP. Hope this helps!
amartya_bhp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks