Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2011, 22:50   #7606
BHPian

Windows Phone 7 - Buying in India

Hey All,

Does anyone have Windows Phone 7 devices here at T-Bhp? Hows does it work out here in India? Is the marketplace and live services all working on standard GSM networks?

Further, I wanted to buy the HTC HD7, please let me know if anyone knows the best place in Pune to buy this phone without getting ripped off.

Also, has anyone ordered any phones from Amazon? Would I have to pay customs or other taxes if I get it shipped from Amazon US? This devices is costing me $534.99 which comes to about Rs. 24,206 including shipping.

Would it still make sense to buy from some store in India?
Old 14th January 2011, 00:11   #7607
BHPian

Re: Windows Phone 7 - Buying in India

End of JM road towards garware bridge,next to the mahindra showroom,the guy will get it for you at the cheapest price in pune
Old 14th January 2011, 00:23   #7608
Senior - BHPian

research on apps that you plan to install. old windows mobile apps will not work on windows phone-7.
Old 14th January 2011, 09:30   #7609
BHPian

Windows 7 phones are still not that hot property in India. Also the applications available for Windows 7 phones are comparatively low. Instead I would advice why don't you buy an Android or Apple OS phone.
Old 14th January 2011, 10:59   #7610
BANNED

Or I will tell you a cheaper way to do it. Get hold of a HTC HD2 from somewhere and install Windows Phone 7 on it!
http://how2i.com/717/download-and-in...-htc-hd2-video
Old 14th January 2011, 11:12   #7611
Team-BHP Support

Get hold of MS employee and crack a deal, heard all of them got HTC powered by Win 7
Old 14th January 2011, 11:18   #7612
BHPian

win 7 is still not officially launched in india, but of u r getting it from abroad try samsung omnia 7 rather than htc hd7 as reviews have suggested it to better than htc. But do check interface tutorials as win 7 has got many limitations as no bluetooth file transfers, copy paste options etc. they may come after an update from microsoft, but until then its ur ch

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

e.g. Type 'you' instead of 'u', 'are' instead of 'r', 'Your' instead of 'ur'

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th January 2011 at 02:51. Reason: Please read the note in your post very carefully, thanks
Old 15th January 2011, 02:04   #7613
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Thanks guys!

I thought I could sync my Outlook with the OS, just like I used to do with my old WM 6.x devices. But thats not to be. The more I read into WP7, the more I find limitations with tinkering/cooking rom for that platform. I guess I will wait for some time till it gets more "fun" to tinker with.
Old 15th January 2011, 02:58   #7614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sids911 View Post
Thanks guys!

I thought I could sync my Outlook with the OS, just like I used to do with my old WM 6.x devices. But thats not to be. The more I read into WP7, the more I find limitations with tinkering/cooking rom for that platform. I guess I will wait for some time till it gets more "fun" to tinker with.
off topic, you can use outlook to sync with google exchange server and sync wirelessly (and effortlessly) from there. AFAIK it doesn't work for contacts yet. I use my Bschool's exchange server to store all information (not that there is a lot of it) and sync via active sync over internet. WM still can't sync from two different sources.

Android is not bad if you plan to use google sync.
Old 15th January 2011, 14:19   #7615
Senior - BHPian

Good bye to flip open / slider models!

Enough of flip open / slider models. My last two phones were SE and either flip open or slide open types. Both went kaput due the connector between the two parts getting torn or damaged.

Somebuttons on my SE W705 stopped functioning lately due to a torn connector cable. This happened twice already and I had to pay INR 1700 to get it replaced. This time I am not going to repair it at all.

Just now I dismantled the phone, here's an exploded view.
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-dsc01799.jpg
This piece of garbage was 16K when I bought it about 2 years back. Imagine the kind of phones you will get at 16K today!

Last edited by clevermax : 15th January 2011 at 14:23.
Old 16th January 2011, 12:31   #7616
Senior - BHPian

Unlocking a Nokia 3120 classic

This question is about Nokia 3120 classic (Not the older 3120)
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-nokia3120classic2.jpg

I had set a security code on this one which I forgot. Now I want to use a new SIM in this phone and it asks for that code. I tried all possible combinations that I know and it says wrong code. I might have tried hundreds of times. The phone still asks for the code and did not get completely locked out or anything. I can still use the old SIM without issues.

Now anybody knows how to get this security code unlocked? I tried all usual stuff found in net - like typing in #pw+CODE+1#, where the CODE is the unique master security PIN. None worked. Is there any way I can get this unlocked?
Old 16th January 2011, 13:32   #7617
BHPian

Nokia Mail on Nokia C3 not working

On Lohri, we gifted our dad a new Nokia C3 in Slate Grey colour (almost like the Sea Grey of our Fiesta Sports) as a belated Birthday gift (7th Jan). The phone is simply wonderful and ticks all the right boxes when it comes to how much our father would use it.

I just love the vibrant display and crisp graphics, the phone looks very upmarket.

And one thing to note here, it is the first device (be it laptops or anything) to have successfully connected to our home Wi-fi by just entering the password, even my bro's Ipod Touch would give a failure notice don't know why.

Now, I am facing a little problem with it.

The Nokia Mail application just doesn't work. Whenever I open it, it shows
"Checking for Updates" and after 5 minutes of this drama shows "Communication Error, please try again".

Everything else, works perfect be it internet through Wi-fi, playing videos on Youtube.

Its just this Nokia Mail which is acting up.

I tried for a fix on Google and it seems like a popular bug with this phone, but still I have no clue how to fix it.
Old 17th January 2011, 12:05   #7618
Senior - BHPian

I friend of mine is interested in purchasing LG optimus one.

Any feedback on this model ?

Rohan
Old 17th January 2011, 13:11   #7619
Senior - BHPian

Iam using this one , its a good phone for the price.
Old 17th January 2011, 14:13   #7620

Re: Unlocking a Nokia 3120 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
This question is about Nokia 3120 classic (Not the older 3120)
Attachment 484150

I had set a security code on this one which I forgot. Now I want to use a new SIM in this phone and it asks for that code. I tried all possible combinations that I know and it says wrong code. I might have tried hundreds of times. The phone still asks for the code and did not get completely locked out or anything. I can still use the old SIM without issues.

Now anybody knows how to get this security code unlocked? I tried all usual stuff found in net - like typing in #pw+CODE+1#, where the CODE is the unique master security PIN. None worked. Is there any way I can get this unlocked?
I have the same set and unfortunately I have already faced this problem three months ago but I recovered it after some tries. Better you go to Nokia Service center and get your phone updated. They will charge Rs.400 for that but your whole data will get lost. If you want some other option you can see this link. Security Master-code calculator for Nokia mobile phones I don't know this will work or not but you can try at least.

Most Viewed