Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2014, 17:31   #1501
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Apologies for the double-post, I am way past the "Edit" time for my previous post; and this is a completely new issue anyway. So, here goes:

I think there is a major security flaw in Yosemite. Details:

I was on the phone with AppleCare for Spotlight not showing any results from Wikipedia or Bing; and while I was on the phone, I discovered a new problem which I think is a security issue. I am providing the details below:

I created a new test user account to see if Spotlight works properly there. It didn’t, and I was told by AppleCare that this was a known issue and is not working for anyone now; and that we have to wait for a dot release to fix this.

To come back to the security issue:

While in that new user account (a standard non-admin account), I ran Spotlight and noticed that it was providing me with results (files, email messages, etc.) from my main Admin-user account. I was surprised at this since I presumed that one user account should never be able to see files belonging to another user account.

Just to see how far I could go, I tried to open some of the files Spotlight showed me. I opened a movie file (I could play it), I opened a spreadsheet (I could see everything in it and I could also make changes); I opened PDFs and was able to read them.

As a final test, I opened Finder - I was able to navigate to the privileged user’s folder and sub-folder structure and open all the files and read them and make changes.

I also transferred a file from the standard test user account to the privileged admin user account’s folder!

I did a Get Info on the privileged user’s folder and I could read-write to that folder.

And now comes the zinger:

I switched to the privileged user-account and opened Finder and navigated to the test user folder. I could see Red Minus signs all over the place and I could not navigate any further down.

So, it looks like it is working bass-ackwards! A non-privileged user can do anything with a privileged user’s stuff and the privileged user can do nothing with a non-privileged user’s stuff.

Luckily I discovered this issue while on the call with AppleCare - a senior support person actually; and he sent me the data-gathering software where I run the software and replicate the issue so that all logs are collected and sent to Apple.

Let’s see if this goes anywhere.

And in the meanwhile, can some of you see if you face the same problem please?

Now, regarding the original Spotlight problem I called Apple about - I cannot see any Wikipedia or Bing or Movie theatre info - I can only see local hard drive stuff. The tech told me that the web-search portion of Spotlight is not working properly yet and that I have to wait for Apple to release a patch, a dot release; and that this issue is so low on the totem with other major issues so that this issue may be addressed only after a long time.

Cheers
Old 28th October 2014, 20:18   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Today finally I upgraded the RAM on my MBP from 4 to the maximum possible of 8 Gb.

The IT chap was in the office today so I borrowed the screwdriver and the whole thing was over and done with in 10 minutes flat.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-1img_20141028_174306982.jpg

The Korean made "hynix" brand 2 x 4 Gb sticks came out and Taiwanese made Corsair 2 x 4 Gb sticks slotted right in. So not just a 'quantity' upgrade but a 'quality' upgrade too as Taiwan trumps Korea in electronics by an arms length & then some.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-1img_20141028_174623326.jpg

System recognised the upgrade and voila a job for which the local Apple service centre guys had quoted 18000 x 2 + Labour + Tax was done with for $26.00 or say Rs 2000/- Actually make that Rs 1000/- the AMC chap has left a standing offer of Rs. 1000/- for the RAM that came out.

All in all a satisfying episode, right now am upgrading to Yosemite as I type this.

Last edited by khoj : 28th October 2014 at 20:38.
Old 28th October 2014, 20:23   #1503
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
All in all a satisfying episode, right now am upgrading to Yesomite as I type this.
Great job! Could not help noticing...Did you not upgrade to Yosemite?
Old 28th October 2014, 20:35   #1504
Senior - BHPian

Thanks ampere, My first time ever in opening up any thing remotely connected to electronics. I was surprised how easy it was, ok so now I am boasting

As for the Yosemite, I believe you missed the last sentence of my above post, It is WIP, see below. Unless you meant the way I spelt it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Great job! Could not help noticing...Did you not upgrade to Yosemite?

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-screen-shot-20141028-8.29.41-pm.png

Last edited by khoj : 28th October 2014 at 20:42.
Old 28th October 2014, 21:20   #1505
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
As for the Yosemite, I believe you missed the last sentence of my above post, It is WIP, see below. Unless you meant the way I spelt it

Oops! Sorry. I just saw the picture and got carried away! I downloaded the same on Day 1. The update is awesome. Spotlight is now almost as close to quicksilver.

I have an early 2008 mac book which could not be upgraded beyond Snow Leopard. Fully abused by every one at home. And still bravely it chugs along. Along with it I have 2011 Mac mini which I have now upgraded to Yosemite. The mini to me is the best mac and amazing value for money. For me its the centre of home computing (Not a media centre). Almost always on and still its never heated. Amazing engineering! The only time I have ever seen it getting heated is when subjected to intense workloads like a slew of RAW conversions, Photo Post Processing of some video format conversion.

And the best part Apple allows you to update RAM without voiding warranty. So I have an 8GB on this Mini.

Last edited by ampere : 28th October 2014 at 21:28.
Old 28th October 2014, 21:33   #1506
BHPian

Hey Guys,

I am still contemplating upgrading to Yosemite. Can people share their experiences with App compatibility with this new OS.

Apps that I am looking for:
Photoshop CS
Audinirvana (Audio Player)
Transmission (Torrent Downloader)
LightRoom (I think version 5, dont use it much)

Dont want to go through the pain of waiting for the compatible upgrades.

Thanks
Old 28th October 2014, 22:08   #1507
Team-BHP Support

Seamless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Photoshop CS
LightRoom (I think version 5, dont use it much)
I dont use PS. So Idea. LR5 works just fine.

Quote:
Audinirvana (Audio Player)
No idea on this. I use iTunes from Day 1.

Quote:
Transmission (Torrent Downloader)
Peer to peer network clients work.
Old 28th October 2014, 23:00   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Dang, I never knew that otherwise would not have waited three years for the warranty to be off before hooking up with the extra muscle.

So the OS is upgraded and it is not all to my liking. I like the knew fonts but the icons make me feel as if I am in toon World. Will give it a few days to see if it sinks in unless there is a way to make the icons look any different.

Quote:
And the best part Apple allows you to update RAM without voiding warranty. So I have an 8GB on this Mini.

Not a problem, ampere

Quote:
No. This is only for Mini and not for others. Sorry if I sounded confusing.

With regards to updates, I have gotten used to it.

Last edited by khoj : 28th October 2014 at 23:04.
Old 28th October 2014, 23:02   #1509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Dang, I never knew that otherwise would not have waited three years for the warranty to be off before hooking up with the extra muscle.
No. This is only for Mini and not for others. Sorry if I sounded confusing.

With regards to updates, I have gotten used to it.
Old 29th October 2014, 04:34   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I saw that the MBP 13 is at a steal on amazon. Around 56-58k. I know its an old device. But is it still a worthy buy?
Old 29th October 2014, 04:37   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Unable to attach pic to previous post.
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-1414537603302.jpg  

Old 29th October 2014, 10:18   #1512
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

I saw that the MBP 13 is at a steal on amazon. Around 56-58k. I know its an old device. But is it still a worthy buy?
There was a lightning deal on the Air 760 model for 49k all inclusive sometime back. It was gone in a flash!
Old 29th October 2014, 12:37   #1513
BHPian

I am using a late 2011 MBP WITH YOSEMITE. This OS is so damn cool, fast and flat. And with continuity, i am now able to receive calls in my MBP. But when i tried to set up message, i am unable to do so. As per apple community, pre 2012 products are not supported for continuity and handoff. Is that true?
Old 29th October 2014, 13:02   #1514
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
As per apple community, pre 2012 products are not supported for continuity and handoff. Is that true?
Yes and funny thing is my early 2011 MBP was doing handoff while i was running beta and then final release it stopped. So i guess its matter of software restriction. Had tried a tool to unlock, but did not work either.

Quote:
was done with for $26.00 or say Rs 2000/- A
Hi khoj,

Where did you order the RAM from? If you can share the details please, i think ill also go this route and get the upgrade done

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th October 2014 at 14:21.
Old 29th October 2014, 16:47   #1515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I was running the beta for a while on my laptop, but updated both the MBPro and iMac to the release version.

I am able to make and receive calls from my Macs (both, the 2014 iMac 27" and the 2010 MBPro), Handoff and Continuity work beautifully on the Mac as well as the iPad2 and the two iPhone 5.

Cheers
Are you saying that continuity works on 2010 MBP? I have early 2011 MBP and it does not seem to work. Is there anything else I need to enable? I am on IOS 8.1 on my iPhone 5c.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks