Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:31   #1546
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
Is there any way to do remote desktop to a windows machine in the same network from Mac book? Something like "Remote Desktop" in windows.
Have you looked at this?

https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/micr...15768417?mt=12
Old 2nd December 2014, 15:51   #1547
Distinguished - BHPian

Why don't you remove the wifi icon from the menu bar? Uncheck it from network preferences. That way it will still join known networks and you will not be worried about your daughter seeing foul language.

Name:  Screen Shot 20141202 at 3.50.27 pm.png
Views: 592
Size:  17.9 KB
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:02   #1548
Senior - BHPian

My Mac Book Pro's hard drive is loaded with Windows in a separate partition. I would like to know whether the time machine back up takes care of backing up the Windows side of things or not.
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:22   #1549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
Forget kids, even I don't want to see such SSIDs on my device.
Same here. It is just plain obnoxious. I wonder what sorts of different perversions prevail among some human beings. Very unfortunate.
Old 2nd December 2014, 16:43   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Need serious help with my wifi network selection icon. If I take my mouse over my wifi icon, it shows all the available networks in the neighbourhood with various names given by the users of those networks (personally I don't even know how to change the name of my own network and use the default one).

Now of late I find some joker in the neighbourhood is using an obnoxious name for his network - a very taboo gutter language phrase in Hindi. I don't want my ten year old daughter to see such a phrase and ask me what it means.

Can someone please tell me how to delete it from my list of available networks? I tried to enter the network and it asked for password, which I didn't have. But I found the network went offline almost immediately.
Sudipto,

There's not much you can do to change someone else's network ID. You can however prevent the list from displaying on your screen by going into Network Preferences and unchecking "Show WiFi status in menu bar". That way, your child will not see the list of networks available.

I am going to try and attach a screenie here, but I am not very familiar with that process, so if I am unable to do so, you can still just follow my instructions above.

Cheers

UPDATE: Oops, I just noticed someone a few posts ago provided the same solution I did. Sorry.
Attached Images

Last edited by tilt : 2nd December 2014 at 16:47. Reason: Removing info that identifies me by name.
Old 14th December 2014, 21:38   #1551
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
I am planning to buy a new laptop as my older one ('09 Dell Studio) seems on its final leg.
On the fence right now, not sure which way to jump?
So finally after 4 months, jumped in Air!

Loving the form factor. After being used to the bigger laptops (15"), the small size is a very welcome change.

Right now downloading the Yosemite update. Due to my MTNL connection, it sure will take a few days to complete.

How do you check for the warranty status BTW?
Old 17th December 2014, 15:39   #1552
BHPian

Mumbai Mac Repairs

Guys my early 2011 MBPro's battery is gone. I need a good aftermarket repair place that deals in macs. Any recommendations?

Cheers
Sid
Old 19th December 2014, 13:57   #1553
Senior - BHPian

I am considering a Mac Mini as an upgrade for my 7 year old windoz desktop and a start to the world of Macintosh computing. The mid variant of the Mini seems to be good value. My one concern is the 5400 rpm hard drive. Will this cut it for occasional desktop publishing work (Photoshop, Illustrator)? I don't see any value in picking up the variant with the fusion drive. 20k is bit a much just for that and a 200mhz bump in processor speed. It is super tempting to build another windoz desktop as it will work out much cheaper even with faster on paper hardware. In 7 years, the only thing that failed on my computer was the gpu which was easily replaced. I am trying real hard to put my money on the Mini though. Inputs will help.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 19th December 2014 at 14:01.
Old 19th December 2014, 14:22   #1554
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am considering a Mac Mini as an upgrade for my 7 year old windoz desktop and a start to the world of Macintosh computing. The mid variant of the Mini seems to be good value. My one concern is the 5400 rpm hard drive. Will this cut it for occasional desktop publishing work (Photoshop, Illustrator)? I don't see any value in picking up the variant with the fusion drive. 20k is bit a much just for that and a 200mhz bump in processor speed. It is super tempting to build another windoz desktop as it will work out much cheaper even with faster on paper hardware. In 7 years, the only thing that failed on my computer was the gpu which was easily replaced. I am trying real hard to put my money on the Mini though. Inputs will help.
I am on a three year old basic model of Mac Mini with all my work including hobby and compute running out of it! Works well for me. This includes : Aperture, Lightroom and all the other regular compute (Scripts, Matlab, GPS etc). Never had any problems.

In fact many have this fear : Oh what will I do without windows? In the last 7-10 years, I have actually not even been on Windows (barring the office work). And that office laptop I dont even use for personal work. So from that standpoint, I now have the other fear... What will I do without a MAC !
Old 19th December 2014, 16:07   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... My one concern is the 5400 rpm hard drive. Will this cut it for occasional desktop publishing work (Photoshop, Illustrator)? ...
The HDD speed doesn't really matter, as long as you have sufficient RAM in the Mini (PS and Illustrator hog RAM). You can add your own RAM cards, as long as slots are available. The fusion drive reduces the start-up time.
Old 19th December 2014, 16:37   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Oh what will I do without windows?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The HDD speed doesn't really matter,
I am not worried about the operating system. I can adapt. At my work spot, its linux all the way.

My concern was only the hard drive. In a windoz environment, 7200rpm or higher, throwing in a ssd makes a massive difference when your work gets demanding. In the case of a Mac, I did not know if something like this impacts. However, you have confirmed that all is well with your Mini.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 19th December 2014 at 16:39.
Old 19th December 2014, 16:40   #1557
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The HDD speed doesn't really matter, as long as you have sufficient RAM in the Mini (PS and Illustrator hog RAM). You can add your own RAM cards, as long as slots are available. The fusion drive reduces the start-up time.
+1.

Quote:
In the case of a Mac, I did not know if something like this impacts. However, you have confirmed that all is well with your Mini.
On the RAM aspect, do check. Because I think (not sure) they have gone back to fused RAM on board rather than customer having the facility to upgrade it all by himself. (I upgraded on mine by myself to 8GB).
Old 18th January 2015, 23:26   #1558
Team-BHP Support

I have an early 2011 13" MBP and it has been very reliable work horse for me, infact i have never held on to a laptop for so long. But after 3 OS upgrades and what not, it started becoming slower and slower. Sometimes competing with the Windows machine in slow race. Was wondering if i should change the machine, but otherwise the machine was just superb, i even had a display replaced under warranty thanks to apple and battery also barely completed running in. Then i chanced upon an article on how to upgrade a Mac Hard Disk drive to the new age SSD drive.

Bit of window shopping on amazon and i finalized on Samsung 850 EVO 250 Gig SSD, 9500 and 10% cash back. Followed the instructions and took about 10 minutes to swap the disk and clean up the MBP internals.

The best 10k ever spent on electronics i say! Machine just became incredibly fast, the pace at which apps open, machine reacts to inputs is just AWESOME! Would recommend to all who would want to get few more years out of their old HDD machines.

Details of the mod https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4741

Edit: 4 min onwards the performance bump part on video.

The speed difference is to be seen to believe it and the video at the end has both DIY and the performance difference captures. And i vouch for the latter, exactly like in the video the machine reacts. That too i just have 4GB ram

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-y...sd-hard-drive/

This is mac's inbuilt mail app with 5 email id configured.

This is how responsive chrome is with a 20 Mbps connection, the app also opens up in just a click now.

Last edited by Jaggu : 19th January 2015 at 10:35.
Old 21st January 2015, 20:48   #1559
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I want to rent a mac for a couple of weeks. Has anyone tried one of the mac rental places? Their rates seem to be OK but the deposit is huge. I am even Ok with paying the deposit, but I am worried if they will return it promptly.
Old 21st January 2015, 21:20   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Following your lead, am about to order the same ssd but am unable to see the cash back option. Could you let me know if this is card specific or voucher/gift card etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Bit of window shopping on amazon and i finalized on Samsung 850 EVO 250 Gig SSD, 9500 and 10% cash back. Followed the instructions and took about 10 minutes to swap the disk and clean up the MBP internals.

The best 10k ever spent on electronics i say! Machine just became incredibly fast, the pace at which apps open, machine reacts to inputs is just AWESOME! Would recommend to all who would want to get few more years out of their old HDD machines.

Most Viewed