Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2015, 10:50   #1666
Team-BHP Support

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The latest Gen-3 (6 Gbps serial link rate) based SSD will also work. It goes backward compatible to what rate the interface will demand.
This should do then?

http://www.amazon.in/Samsung-2-5-Inc....5+sata+ssd+II
Old 27th June 2015, 10:55   #1667
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's the best one. Picked up the same in 500GB for my macbook pro.

Do check ifixit for a teardown as to how easy it is for DIY. I believe it's trickier for Mac mini's vs the macbook's.
Old 27th June 2015, 11:09   #1668
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yes that should do. I picked up a Crucial BX100. Similar price.

See this video for mac mini. Thats what I am thinking. But mine is a 500GB mini. So I need to get a 500GB one.

Old 30th June 2015, 17:28   #1669
Team-BHP Support

I have a 2013 MacBook Pro (13" with Retina Display) that I bought in the US.

There's a peculiar issue: whenever the laptop is plugged in for a/c power, I feel a slight current all over the laptop. When I run my hand over the laptop or esp. at the edges, I feel a light static charge. And it happens every time I touch the laptop. I did have this issue although very rarely in the US but it is a very recurring one here. There's of course no issue when the laptop is running on battery.

I use a standard 3-pin adapter for the laptop in India since it came with the US pin charger.

Any pointers?
Old 30th June 2015, 18:13   #1670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

There's a peculiar issue: whenever the laptop is plugged in for a/c power, I feel a slight current all over the laptop. When I run my hand over the laptop or esp. at the edges, I feel a light static charge. And it happens every time I touch the laptop. I did have this issue although very rarely in the US but it is a very recurring one here. There's of course no issue when the laptop is running on battery.

I use a standard 3-pin adapter for the laptop in India since it came with the US pin charger.

Any pointers?

That is happening due to a lack of grounding to the charger, and hence to the laptop. The fat top pin in our 3 pin config is meant for grounding. The most likely solution would be to replace the entire AC cable component of the charger to the indian config(im presuming that the charger can be split into 2 parts)
Old 30th June 2015, 19:31   #1671
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
That is happening due to a lack of grounding to the charger, and hence to the laptop. The fat top pin in our 3 pin config is meant for grounding. The most likely solution would be to replace the entire AC cable component of the charger to the indian config(im presuming that the charger can be split into 2 parts)
Right. I think I need to buy the extension bit (from the adapter to the plug). If prices for the whole assembly vs. just the extension aren't very drastic, I guess I'll change the whole thing.

Thanks!
Old 30th June 2015, 20:05   #1672
BHPian

Quote:

Any pointers?
Even I feel the same thing in my Macbook 15" with Retina. Most of the times there is static around the edges of the laptop.

If you find the prices of the extensions, please share here also. I will also contemplate getting it, if its reasonably priced.

One question:
Does this static charge harm the hardware also in any way?

Regards
Rachit.
Old 1st July 2015, 00:41   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
One question:
Does this static charge harm the hardware also in any way?

Static electricity can build up on your body for lots of reasons, including the clothes you are wearing, what items you have rubbed against or been in contact with, and atmospheric conditions such as the humidity level.*

Now since most apple products are aluminium, when you connect to power, you also connect to ground. The aluminum body is good conductor of electricity and acts like a discharge path for the static electricity on your body. This will occur even when you touch metal objects like sinks, pipes etc.

As long as you don't touch the internal PCB of your computer you won't damage it. That's why repair technicians use anti static wrist strap.

Last edited by blackwasp : 1st July 2015 at 00:44.
Old 1st July 2015, 10:19   #1674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Even I feel the same thing in my Macbook 15" with Retina. Most of the times there is static around the edges of the laptop.

If you find the prices of the extensions, please share here also. I will also contemplate getting it, if its reasonably priced.
I was just browsing the iStore and Reliance Digital websites; looks like the cable (with the adapter) will set us back by 4-5k.
Old 1st July 2015, 12:38   #1675
BHPian

Quote:

Any pointers?
This happens to me with my MacBook, MacBook Pro, two iPhones and the iPad. And it happens in Bangalore, Madras, Delhi and every other place in India I have been to.

I have no expertise in Electricity, but could it be something to do with 50 cycles vs. 60 cycles or something like that?

Cheers
Old 1st July 2015, 23:59   #1676
Senior - BHPian

That should not be the case the 50/60 Hz bit. The power adaptors are designed to work on both frequencies. In fact just checked the PA o my MBP just as I started to type this. Never had any issues with my iPad either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I have no expertise in Electricity, but could it be something to do with 50 cycles vs. 60 cycles or something like that?

Cheers
Old 3rd July 2015, 16:33   #1677
BHPian

Never happened with me with any iDevice (rMBP, iPad, 3 iPhones). I use all 2 pin chargers Indian type.
Old 6th July 2015, 20:52   #1678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Requesting you folks to let me know which specific RAM type you got ( 1.5 V or 1.35 V ) & from which manufacturer.
I have a Mid-2012 MacBook Pro & Apple's support web-site specifically mentions that only 8 GB is supported.
Went with a pair of Corsair's Value-Select DDR3L 1.35V 1,600 MHz 8 GB RAM modules.
The machine appears to be working fine with 16 GB despite the 8 GB limit mentioned in Apple's support web-site.
Launching of multiple large AVDs is faster now, otherwise no discernible increase in speed.
The only negative so far is a slight increase in operating temperature.
Old 7th July 2015, 02:37   #1679
BHPian

Even I noticed a substantial increase in the temperature after upgrading to 16GB RAM. I tried to play with smcFanControl app to set the fan speed during heavy usage so that my Mac stays cooler!

I just upgraded to Yosemite and the upgrade went smooth without any issues. I however notice that the trackpad has turned a bit clunky, especially the Mission Control has become less responsive. Did anyone experience the same? I have a early 2011 Mac Book Pro!
Old 7th July 2015, 09:28   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
*SNIP*
I just upgraded to Yosemite and the upgrade went smooth without any issues. I however notice that the trackpad has turned a bit clunky, especially the Mission Control has become less responsive. Did anyone experience the same? I have a early 2011 Mac Book Pro!
I run Yosemite 10.10.4 on my Mid-2010 MBPro 17" with 8GB RAM ad 1 TB HDD, and I don't see the issue you mention.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks