Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 18:10   #2071
BANNED

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

My MacPro somehow is now insisting on iCloud. How do I disable it. I tried the disabling it using system Preference, but did not work. Any suggestions?
Old 30th June 2017, 16:45   #2072
BANNED

Office or Office Libre

I have MS Office (2011) on my Mac. How does it compare the the free clone - Office Libre.
Old 1st July 2017, 14:28   #2073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Office or Office Libre

I have MS Office (2011) on my Mac. How does it compare the the free clone - Office Libre.
If you have a licensed copy of MS Office, continue using it. Libreoffice can never do everything MS-Office does, in case you use the advanced functions of MS-Office.

If you are merely a basic-functions user, then either is fine.

Quote:
My MacPro somehow is now insisting on iCloud. How do I disable it. I tried the disabling it using system Preference, but did not work. Any suggestions?
Can you provide more information please?

Cheers
Old 1st July 2017, 14:57   #2074
BHPian

Quote:
System preferences -> iCloud -> iCloud Drive

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-icl.png
Old 2nd July 2017, 19:26   #2075
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to swap my hard drive for SSD in my older 2009 MacBook Pro. Any idea of prices in Bangalore, 250GB or 500GB, and who in this city would be most competent to carry out this change?
Old 2nd July 2017, 19:44   #2076
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I'm planning to swap my hard drive for SSD in my older 2009 MacBook Pro. Any idea of prices in Bangalore, 250GB or 500GB, and who in this city would be most competent to carry out this change?
It is a fairly easy DIY. There is no need to go to an external person/centre. You can buy the SSD online and just half an hour of your time and a small Phillips/Star head screwdriver is required.

You can follow the instructions mentioned in the following link: Instructions for replacing the HD in a MacBook Pro
Old 5th July 2017, 11:47   #2077
BHPian

Guys any idea as to by when will the 2017 Macbook Pro be released in India ? Been a month since WWDC Global launch.
Old 6th July 2017, 00:20   #2078
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
The Kaby Lake ones will take atleat 1 to 2 months to come to India. They were just launched and generally Apple latest products take a couple of months to reach India.
Thanks for letting me know. I did visit my local Apple store in Pune (Nyasa, I think), but to be honest was not very impressed with the guys there. They were insistent that the Kaby Lake models won't come to India till next year after High Sierra is launched! They also really didn't know their specs well.

Also it seems that in India you are very limited with regards to the configs that are available, i.e. no 1TB SSD or Radeon 550. Got fed up waiting in the end so ordered from the UK and will pick it up in a couple weeks time. Got quite a few adapters and dongles too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
Guys any idea as to by when will the 2017 Macbook Pro be released in India ? Been a month since WWDC Global launch.
Seems like a long wait here! Best bet is if you can order it in the US or UK and get someone to bring it for you!
Old 7th July 2017, 17:37   #2079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Thanks for letting me know. I did visit my local Apple store in Pune (Nyasa, I think), but to be honest was not very impressed with the guys there. They were insistent that the Kaby Lake models won't come to India till next year after High Sierra is launched! They also really didn't know their specs well.

Also it seems that in India you are very limited with regards to the configs that are available, i.e. no 1TB SSD or Radeon 550. Got fed up waiting in the end so ordered from the UK and will pick it up in a couple weeks time. Got quite a few adapters and dongles too.
In my view as well, Apple store Sales staff is not that well versed with technicalities. They know the basic stuff, but not detailed stuff.

Yes, you are right, in general India only gets 2 basic configs.

Congratulations for your purchase. Do share your experience with the laptops with us.

Rachit
Old 8th July 2017, 09:39   #2080
BHPian

The 2017 lineup will be releasing on the 10th:

http://www.news18.com/news/tech/new-...0-1454907.html
Old 9th July 2017, 10:21   #2081
BANNED

I finally installed AVG Free on my Mac after almost a year. It found nine bugs in all, and fixed them. So I guess while a Mac is quite immune, some stuff does get through.
Old 10th July 2017, 11:28   #2082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
The 2017 lineup will be releasing on the 10th
Great thanks for the update.

Quote:
I finally installed AVG Free on my Mac after almost a year. It found nine bugs in all, and fixed them. So I guess while a Mac is quite immune, some stuff does get through.
I had a look at a few reviews and it seems that Bit Defender is quite highly rated, for both protection levels and the minimal resources it uses? Any thoughts on this? Currently available for 699 a year.
Old 15th July 2017, 00:53   #2083
Team-BHP Support

Better half is looking for a moderate use laptop; usual web-related stuff and moderate Office Suite usage.

Does it make sense to buy a 2016 Macbook Air (this one) for ~56k (including 8k cashback) from Paytm?

I've never bought gadgets from Paytm before, so unsure of their reliability and Apple honoring warranty for stuff bought from them.

Advise?
Old 15th July 2017, 20:50   #2084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Better half is looking for a moderate use laptop; usual web-related stuff and moderate Office Suite usage.

Does it make sense to buy a 2016 Macbook Air (this one) for ~56k (including 8k cashback) from Paytm?

I've never bought gadgets from Paytm before, so unsure of their reliability and Apple honoring warranty for stuff bought from them.

Advise?
I have been using the same laptop since the past one year for pretty much the same usage. It is a brilliant device for the intended purpose. I love it for its excellent build quality, light weight and really great battery life (roughly 8 hours with heavy usage, 10-11 hours with light usage).

Regarding PayTm, don't worry and go ahead with a PayTm Assured Partner, for eg: Teletronics (366 ratings available). I am typing this post from my MacBook purchased via Paytm in June 2016. I checked the warranty status soon after setting it up and it showed one year from the date of setup. So no issues on the warranty front. I have also purchased a couple of phones via PayTm and no issues there too. You can go ahead with them.Hope this helps

Cheers!
Old 15th July 2017, 22:24   #2085
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
.....Hope this helps

Cheers!
Helpful indeed!

I'm usually one for staying away from Apple (most of their stuff is beyond budget), but this particular item fits requirements perfectly.

There's no other laptop in that price range that matches the build quality, ergonomics and comes with SSD storage. The primary user is going to travel with this a fair bit so weight & on-the-go ergonomics are important.

This one goes to the top of the consideration list. Thanks!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th July 2017 at 22:25.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks