Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2017, 13:32   #2101
BHPian

Yup have used both usb to lan as well as thunderbolt to lan adaptors. When u use thunderbolt to lan u manage to keep your usb port free to plugin other usb devices that u may need.
Old 14th August 2017, 02:03   #2102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hi,

The thing is it is a networking based training / seminar where by we have to use our laptops to connect to switches / IP Cameras etc for some tests and configurations. So a LAN port is mandatory.

Regards,

Ive been using the thunderbolt to RJ45 adapter since over a year. Works pretty well. I didnt want to block a USB port, so picked up the thunderbolt ont.
Old 14th August 2017, 14:52   #2103
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

The Hackintosh PC built just crossed 6 months without absolutely no problems!!!
Glad to be part of the ibhp with a low cost solution.

Name:  Screen Shot 20170814 at 2.39.09 pm.png
Views: 620
Size:  94.8 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
System preferences -> iCloud -> iCloud Drive
Thank you for this.
Old 14th August 2017, 15:16   #2104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
The Hackintosh PC built just crossed 6 months without absolutely no problems!!!
Glad to be part of the ibhp with a low cost solution.*SNIP*
Do you happen to have a thread here or in a blog where you have outlined the Hackintosh build, with exact part IDs and purchase source etc.? I would love to take this on as a project, but all info I have found pertains to parts available only in the USA.

If responding to my post violates any forum rules are, please PM me your response.

Thanks and cheers
Old 14th August 2017, 15:34   #2105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Do you happen to have a thread here or in a blog where you have outlined the Hackintosh build, with exact part IDs and purchase source etc.? I would love to take this on as a project, but all info I have found pertains to parts available only in the USA.
I have not made a thread on it here or in a blog yet.
Mainly it was done on experiment basis with help from tonymac forum posts.

I had sourced the hardware from US due to the low pricing, but all those parts were readily available at Lamington Road in Mumbai without much trouble.
Will list out the parts in a later post as I can't recollect them all after the finer changes i and my friend has done.
Old 15th August 2017, 11:55   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
I have not made a thread on it here or in a blog yet.
Mainly it was done on experiment basis with help from tonymac forum posts.

I had sourced the hardware from US due to the low pricing, but all those parts were readily available at Lamington Road in Mumbai without much trouble.
Will list out the parts in a later post as I can't recollect them all after the finer changes i and my friend has done.
Well, there's no "Thanks" button here for me to click without using up a post, so here you go - thank you

Cheers
Old 18th August 2017, 00:23   #2107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I have been using the same laptop since the past one year for pretty much the same usage. It is a brilliant device for the intended purpose......

go ahead with a PayTm Assured Partner, for eg: Teletronics (366 ratings available).....
Held off the purchase for a while, just ordered the 2017 Air (same as the 2015 model except a minor processor bump to 1.8GHz), chose Teletronics for seller.

~49k (including 12k cashback) from PayTm. The better half is in for a surprise!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th August 2017 at 00:27.
Old 18th August 2017, 20:56   #2108
BHPian

Can anyone let me know how to get rid of these marks on my Mac's screen? Been like this for the last 3 years. Can't seem to get rid of them. iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-imageuploadedbyteambhp1503069977.521194.jpg
Old 18th August 2017, 21:21   #2109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Can anyone let me know how to get rid of these marks on my Mac's screen? Been like this for the last 3 years. Can't seem to get rid of them. Attachment 1667634

The rMBP is known to have defective anti reflection coatings on them. This can be signs of the coating wearing off, but im not sure. Look up "macbook staingate".
Old 18th August 2017, 23:55   #2110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
The rMBP is known to have defective anti reflection coatings on them. This can be signs of the coating wearing off, but im not sure. Look up "macbook staingate".

Thanks for the reply!

I do not think this is the same issue. The same issue was also present in my pre retina 2010 MacBook. These are essentially spots on the screen have formed over time. Moist cloth helps remove most of it expect for the deep ones. They come back in sometime though.
They almost feel like the stains you get on your glasses of you sneeze only a little harder to remove.
Old 20th August 2017, 14:29   #2111
BHPian

The MagSafe connector on my MBPro has separated into two pieces. I can still kind of push the wired portion into the magnet that is stuck in the MBPro power port, but it is kind of iffy.

A new power cord costs close to 7K. I was wondering if anyone is aware as to whether the two pieces can be stuck together in any way, or if someone has a power cord to spare.

Cheers
Old 6th September 2017, 08:38   #2112
BHPian

With the 8th Gen processors announced by Intel, is it still a good idea to get one of this:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ..._pro_with.html

My usage consists a lot of Photoshop work. So is the 13" 2017 Pro Kaby a good option too ?
Old 6th September 2017, 10:21   #2113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
The MagSafe connector on my MBPro has separated into two pieces. I can still kind of push the wired portion into the magnet that is stuck in the MBPro power port, but it is kind of iffy.

A new power cord costs close to 7K. I was wondering if anyone is aware as to whether the two pieces can be stuck together in any way, or if someone has a power cord to spare.

Cheers
My MagSafe worn off near the transformer box. After some googling, pried open the box and connected the wires again. But this was shortlived since my laptop and the MagSafe heats up a lot. Took a plunge and got a new one for 6.5K (MRP 6.8K). Peace of mind.
Note: Old stock hence pre GST. New stock costs 7.8k

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
I did. And the agent did try his best to help. Later, I wrote to Tim Cook and got a call within 24 hours from someone in customer services based out of Ireland. He asked me to do a diagnostics at the nearest service center (which i did), and he spoke to the technician at the local Apple center there, and said he would study and revert within 6 days. He did revert before the 6 days were up and said that he could do nothing save recommend that i replace the part at 44k.
Were you able to replace the MB? Is your Macbook under warranty?

Last edited by dre@ms : 6th September 2017 at 10:26. Reason: Quoted one more post
Old 6th September 2017, 10:26   #2114
Senior - BHPian

This is common. I had faced the same situation, went through scores of videos on YouTube and successfully undertook the DIY. You'll need pliers and a soldering iron. But after all the efforts the results were an eye sore. Not befitting the clean lines of the machine at all.

So I bought a pricey new charger. Check out the videos out there.
Old 6th September 2017, 12:35   #2115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by feluda86 View Post
Can anyone let me know how to get rid of these marks on my Mac's screen? Been like this for the last 3 years. Can't seem to get rid of them. Attachment 1667634
If it has oleo-phobic coating (newer models) then that is getting eroded. Apple was giving free replacement, just a month back a friend who picked up an used one managed to get it replaced.

If not only a spillage outside the screen can cause such marks but should go off with screen cleaning liquid. Spillage includes, aerated / fizzing beverages kept near by, frequent coughing or sneezing (:P) et all

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th September 2017 at 12:38.

Most Viewed