Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2018, 12:09   #2266
BANNED

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

How do you lock uppercase ie shift in Devanagri? I am unable to do so.
Old 21st June 2018, 22:40   #2267
Team-BHP Support

Can someone please suggest a Bengali transliteration solution for Mac?

A casual search suggested this. Safe?
Old 23rd June 2018, 13:22   #2268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
My university provided me with Office 365, which basically means i have access to Office for Mac for free, during my course at the Uni.
Thanks! Indeed is the same case for me as well.
How did you manage your storage/backup at University? External hard disk or online storage. I have only 100 GB of free space on my MBA.
Old 11th July 2018, 18:20   #2269
BANNED

Today saw High Sierra 10.13.6 floating around. It is huge 1.59GB. Let me see if it is worth the aggro. even more so that the next gen of Apple OS (Mojave) is around.

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th July 2018 at 18:25.
Old 13th July 2018, 09:49   #2270
Team-BHP Support

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_boost...news-32191.php

Terribly disappointed with Apple. They have announced Macbook pro updates for 2018 but its really half hearted or probably intentional.

They have only given the new 8th gen i5 processor for the models with touch bar. Non touch bar MAcbook pro has been left untouched.

For those who want smaller 13 inch model with 32GB RAM, sorry no luck for you guys. If you want 32GB only 15inch for you.

Butterfly keyboard is improved. Lol. More quieter according to apple but no mention if its now reliable!!

Not only did they not announce a cheaper Macbook non Pro mode but the cheapest Macbook Pro got left out of the most important updates to 8th gen CPU and quieter keyboard.

I will wait for a few more months to decide on what to get in exchange of my early 2011 Macbook pro but it's almost like Apple is pushing me to get a windows ultrabook cause the only decent spec Macbook pro (16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, core i5) is $2000 in US and more than 1.5L here in India.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 13th July 2018 at 09:51.
Old 17th July 2018, 18:14   #2271
BHPian

Does it make sense to buy a MacBook Air in 2018, Or should I wait for Apple September launches?
I use a laptop for browsing,emails,presentations etc.
Don’t play games or anything else.
Old 17th July 2018, 19:04   #2272
BANNED

I am reading at many places that Apple have 'lost it'. Considering I switched to Apple only two years ago, this will be painful. I was coming to like the Mac'verse,
Old 18th July 2018, 12:35   #2273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am reading at many places that Apple have 'lost it'. Considering I switched to Apple only two years ago, this will be painful. I was coming to like the Mac'verse,
People have been saying this all the time, even when Jobs was alive and running the show. "Apple is doomed" is even a meme now.

One fact certainly is that they are no longer catering well to their original user-base that made Apple what they are - the professionals. They have watered down their Pro offerings, both in software and hardware. But "lost it"? I wouldn't agree, for now.

Cheers
Old 1st August 2018, 18:08   #2274
BANNED

I have a messed up install of Firefox. How to remove it, and then reinstall.

How do you lock uppercase ie shift in Devanagri? I am unable to do so. I had posted it some time back but go no response.
Old 1st August 2018, 18:20   #2275
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have a messed up install of Firefox. How to remove it, and then reinstall..
Source

Quote:
Uninstall apps
You can uninstall apps you got from the App Store, from other websites, or from discs. You can’t uninstall apps that are part of macOS, such as Safari and Mail.

Apps downloaded from the App Store: Click the Launchpad icon in the Dock, position the pointer over an app’s icon, press and hold until all the icons begin to jiggle, then click the app’s Delete button . If you later want the app, you can reinstall it from the App Store.

If an icon doesn’t have a Delete button, it can’t be uninstalled in Launchpad. For more information about Launchpad, see Use Launchpad to view and open apps.

Other apps: In the Finder sidebar, click Applications, then do one of the following:

If an app is in a folder, open the app’s folder to check for an Uninstaller. If you see Uninstall App or App Uninstaller, double-click it and follow the onscreen instructions.

If an app isn’t in a folder or doesn’t have an Uninstaller, drag the app from the Applications folder to the Trash (located at the end of the Dock), then choose Finder > Empty Trash.

If you change your mind before emptying the Trash, select the app in the Trash, then choose File > Put Back.

WARNING: When you empty the Trash, the app is permanently removed from your Mac. If you have any files that you created with the app, you may not be able to open them.
Old 1st August 2018, 18:40   #2276
BHPian

Quote:
Try appcleaner - http://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

If you don't want any traces left, select all files before pressing 'Remove'.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-untitled.png
Old 1st August 2018, 20:50   #2277

Quote:
How do you lock uppercase ie shift in Devanagri? I am unable to do so. I had posted it some time back but go no response.
I don't think there is a direct way to do it. As a workaround, you can enable sticky keys by going to System Preferences > Accessibility > Keyboard > Enable Sticky Keys. Now when using devanagri, press shift twice to type in upper case.
Old 2nd August 2018, 09:19   #2278
BHPian

Quote:

I would suggest follow the instructions from Jaggu.

Btw just out of curiosity, what do you need Firefox specifically for ?
I use Chrome and it serves me well on the Mac.
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:16   #2279
BHPian

My Mac is acting up. The mouse and key board freeze when the mac is woken up and at times they unfreeze and at times i have to resort to rebooting. This happens every time and i am quite fed up with it. Bought this imac 27" just a year back.

The second issue is ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED that happens like clock work when the imac is woken up and i try to use google chrome.

I tried most of the solutions floating around the net, including kicking it in the hind side by PRAM. Nothing seems to work.

It could be that there are many appliances connected to my wifi router and maybe there is a clash of IPs. Don't know much about this but other stuff works just fine.

Help !
Old 6th August 2018, 15:54   #2280
BANNED

@Fillmore; Some software like Video Downloadhelper can download stuff in Firefox and not in Chrome.

Most Viewed