Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2018, 11:48   #2296
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
This problem is usually faced by using google sites mainly (google search, gmail, Youtube) and others like Facebook, Yahoo etc. which use a ton of cookies. Switching to DuckDuckGo as my search engine has solved / mitigated this issue.
Honestly, I didn't expect this from Apple. I can't imagine moving away from gmail and if such an issue is going to keep resurfacing every other week or so then might as well move to Windows.
Old 25th September 2018, 18:20   #2297
Team-BHP Support

https://www.iclarified.com/67609/app...-1014-download

New OS is released for all eligible users, unfortunately my personal MBP is not officially supported. Been using it in my office MBA, and honestly I don't think its that great an update, when it comes to new 'daily use' features. The dark mode is also not a personal favourite, since it turns even mail app into dark mode.

Last edited by Jaggu : 25th September 2018 at 20:20.
Old 25th September 2018, 21:19   #2298
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
New OS is released for all eligible users, unfortunately my personal MBP is not officially supported.

Same here. My 2011 Mini is not supported any more. But any way I am not complaining. I have the best possible Mini out there for now. Maxed out RAM + 500GB SSD
Old 26th September 2018, 09:27   #2299
BANNED

Yesterday, I upgraded the front end to Mojave from High Sierra. The Update is in the App Store and not in updates. Went through smoothly. Yes the 'dark mode' looks good. I will reserve my comments until I have used it for a few days. Also, I hear the OS Update is imminent.
Old 26th September 2018, 10:43   #2300
BHPian

My Macbook Pro 15 inch model died on me a couple of months back. Since it was out of warranty, I took it for repair outside. One of them was not able to identify the fault, while the other confirmed my suspicion that the fault was with either the graphics driver or the display driver.

Unfortunately, the Integrated graphics card corrupted, due to which the motherboard got corrupted as well. The repair estimate for replacing the motherboard (i7) is 32k, which I do not feel is worth spending on this laptop considering this was the late 2011 non retina model.

Sigh! RIP to my beloved laptop

Here is the state of the laptop :
Attached Thumbnails
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-macbook.jpg  

Old 29th September 2018, 10:42   #2301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Same here. My 2011 Mini is not supported any more. But any way I am not complaining. I have the best possible Mini out there for now. Maxed out RAM + 500GB SSD
http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

Installed Mojave on my "unsupported" Late 2011, MacBook Air and works like a charm. Use the patcher linked above to patch the installer allowing installation of Mojave on unsupported Macs.

Will be installing Mojave on my main work-horse, the 15" MBP 2015 Retina, after a few days.
Old 29th September 2018, 11:55   #2302
BANNED

After some time with it I agree that Mojave is a treat. I am coming to enjoy it. There are things you like, possibly like or dislike. I put Mojave in the first category.
Old 29th September 2018, 13:47   #2303
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen, changing the topic for a while; anyone got a replacement battery for their macbook? I have an old 2009 macbook which is working well, except for the battery. There are quite a few available online from different brands. Not sure which one to pick up. One brand I am eyeing is Racemos, but again not sure. Any member with experience with aftermarket batteries/ brands, please suggest.

Thanks!
Saket
Old 29th September 2018, 21:40   #2304
Senior - BHPian

My MacBook Pro battery was fine even after 10 years. Though it was getting heated up - so I gave it to Apple service in Dubai who gave me a new battery for Rs. 5000. Don't use any other battery available in the market. It's a Mac after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Gentlemen, changing the topic for a while; anyone got a replacement battery for their MacBook?
Old 29th September 2018, 22:20   #2305
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm not sure if that battery is available at apple store. Will need to check.
5K for genuine battery is fine; even after market ones are all 3K plus!

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My MacBook Pro battery was fine even after 10 years. Though it was getting heated up - so I gave it to Apple service in Dubai who gave me a new battery for Rs. 5000. Don't use any other battery available in the market. It's a Mac after all.
Old 3rd October 2018, 13:04   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathik View Post
http://dosdude1.com/mojave/

Installed Mojave on my "unsupported" Late 2011, MacBook Air and works like a charm. Use the patcher linked above to patch the installer allowing installation of Mojave on unsupported Macs.
Got this info from Redmondpie and works like a treat on my Late 2011 MBP. Dark mode is too good with dynamic wallpapers. Only hiccup, the browse window from many applications are not fully dark. May be they are still to update for this OS.
Old 20th October 2018, 00:41   #2307
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using the Macbook Air here? How has it been holding up? I was thinking of picking one up in the next Amazon sale. Any ideas ?
Old 20th October 2018, 16:21   #2308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Anyone using the Macbook Air here? How has it been holding up? I was thinking of picking one up in the next Amazon sale. Any ideas ?
Pretty good so far (4.5 years now). And battery also hold up well.
Old 20th October 2018, 16:29   #2309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Physical stores have some offers on macbook air. do check it out before buying on amazon.

Macbook air pros: it has traditional ports which Apple has removed from other models. cons: it looks dated compared to other models. It is becoming painful to stay loyal to Apple with their aggressive removal of traditional ports, removing serviceable parts (making everything integrated with motherboard and making it harder for 3rd parties to service).
Old 20th October 2018, 18:28   #2310
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Remember he is quoting Dubai prices, I guess India may be very different. I did come across some post detailing the replacement of the battery. There are quite a few around, so you have to open up the unit and find the exact battery. For this yoy need a 'three lobe' Allenkey. I hear the battery is available on Amazon etc.

Most Viewed