Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2018, 14:12   #2326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Getting the same error for Adobe, have a full version installed. Same reason as well?

Adobe is a very generic term. But yes, any 'old' software you use, might have the issue. It is only after 2016 that Adobe moved to the creative cloud subscription platform. If you have any adobe product from the creative suite range (CS3,4... Etc), it may cease to work post the next Mac OS update.
Old 31st October 2018, 09:44   #2327
Team-BHP Support

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

So nobody excited that Apple finally updated the Macbook Air and the Mac mini.

Vs the June event where they left people disappointed by updating the Macbook Pro with touchbar but not touching the entry level pro, the new Air is a proper upgrade with retinal display, 8th gen processor and RAM increase.

The only problem is I am thinking why not get a mac mini and use an iPad Pro 10.5 I have for portability.
Old 31st October 2018, 09:50   #2328
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
So nobody excited that Apple finally updated the Macbook Air and the Mac mini.

Vs the June event where they left people disappointed by updating the Macbook Pro with touchbar but not touching the entry level pro, the new Air is a proper upgrade with retinal display, 8th gen processor and RAM increase.

The only problem is I am thinking why not get a mac mini and use an iPad Pro 10.5 I have for portability.
While the Mac mini is a proper upgrade with desktop components, the New macbook Air is a dual core machine with most likely the very very low voltage Y series cpu, given that it doesn't have Iris graphics. And it costs 1200$, barely a 100 less or even lesser in sales than the base macbook Pro which has a better cpu gpu and only really lacks the Touch id in comparison. I would have been excited if it had better internals for this price or a lower price.
Old 31st October 2018, 10:19   #2329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great update there. I especially love the Mac mini update. Over time, I've come to appreciate the Mini as a nice home theatre/media PC for usage at home. Connect it to a TV and make it a space to store all you media. 6-core processors should be fast as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
While the Mac mini is a proper upgrade with desktop components, the New macbook Air is a dual core machine with most likely the very very low voltage Y series cpu, given that it doesn't have Iris graphics. And it costs 1200$, barely a 100 less or even lesser in sales than the base macbook Pro which has a better cpu gpu and only really lacks the Touch id in comparison. I would have been excited if it had better internals for this price or a lower price.
It has the i5-8210Y. The Air has always been the entry level model which has been targeted towards students and those wanting the portability (in terms of size and weight). I think the current update is an amalgamation of the best bits of the Air and Pro lineups. Retina display, Touch ID, force trackpad, dual USB C and a headphone jack. Personally I miss the MagSafe power connector, but I guess with time USB C / thunderbolt peripherals would increase.

Further, with eGPUs now certified to work out of the box, I think an Air + eGPU combo for office / home would be a good combination. I agree that the processors are weaker, but then all Mac thermal throttle much before reaching the peak of the processor.
Old 31st October 2018, 10:51   #2330
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The starting price for the new air is 1.15 L in India which in frankly a bit too much for the core population of students and casual users that apple is targetting this laptop at. Considering I got my air for 44k in the last big billion day sale in 2017 I feel the days of Mac's being a viable alternative to mid range windows laptops have come to an end. The MacBook Pro 2011-2013 and the air after that are what drove Mac's popularity in India due to their 60-80k price range which was about 25% above a comparable windows laptop and giving a much better experience with the OS X. Considering the MacBook Pro series itself is very light and thin to begin with I don't really see where this fits into the apple line up. Casual users will do well to spend less than half the price on a windows 10 ultrabook or maybe even get an ipad.
Old 31st October 2018, 12:09   #2331
Team-BHP Support

The Air was terrific value at ~50k when we got one last year. It's no value at double the price with what's essentially more lipstick than muscle.
Old 31st October 2018, 13:42   #2332
BHPian

Quote:
So nobody excited that Apple finally updated the Macbook Air and the Mac mini. *SNIP*
Too little, too late, and for too much money.

The Air is a ridiculously underpowered machine for the price being charged,compared to the old Air. 128GB? Seriously? And a mere dual-core in this day and age? Come on!

The Mini was always supposed to be the entry-level switcher machine, and supposed to be cheap. Now it is not; and again, too expensive for what's in it. And that too for a BYODKM machine.

Cheers
Old 31st October 2018, 14:20   #2333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Too little, too late, and for too much money.

The Air is a ridiculously underpowered machine for the price being charged,compared to the old Air. 128GB? Seriously? And a mere dual-core in this day and age? Come on!

The Mini was always supposed to be the entry-level switcher machine, and supposed to be cheap. Now it is not; and again, too expensive for what's in it. And that too for a BYODKM machine.

Cheers
Agreed, but it's not like you have a choice if you want a mac.

The old Air was good but was years behind for the price they were charging. Close to 50K you could get a Dell with 8th gen CPU.

The current choice for someone like me is to get the new Air, or get the older Pro without touchbar (7th gen cpu and older butterfly keyboard) or get a mac mini and an ipad for portability.
Old 31st October 2018, 14:27   #2334
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkkkkaran View Post
Adobe is a very generic term. But yes, any 'old' software you use, might have the issue.
I believe this link explains the error.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-cc-error.png

I have a CC membership and run the latest apps but still got this error/warning on first run.
Old 31st October 2018, 14:31   #2335
Team-BHP Support

Just look at the no. of iPad and Mac models on offer; has Apple hired product managers from Hyundai!

There's:

MacBook: this one makes the least sense
MBA without Retina
New MBA with Retina (30k over the outgoing model)
MBP without Touch ID (5k difference from new MBA with Retina)
MBP with Touch ID (50k over MBP without Touch ID)
iMac
iMac Retina 4k
iMac Retina 5k
iMac Pro
Mac
MacMini

This is exhausting, with very little/insignificant incremental benefit. Apple has made the Mac increasingly and disproportionately (over value) expensive. This, when Windows laptops that do the job for 90% of the people at about 30-40k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
The MacBook Pro 2011-2013 and the air after that are what drove Mac's popularity in India due to their 60-80k price range which was about 25% above a comparable windows laptop and giving a much better experience with the OS X. Considering the MacBook Pro series itself is very light and thin to begin with I don't really see where this fits into the apple line up. Casual users will do well to spend less than half the price on a windows 10 ultrabook or maybe even get an ipad.
Yes!
Old 31st October 2018, 15:34   #2336
BANNED

Started download of Mojave update. It is 3.33GB so is taking time.
Old 1st November 2018, 11:00   #2337
Senior - BHPian

My 2013 MacBook Pro charger cable is busted. The covering cracked and was still usable. Now 2 of the pins are blackened and it doesn't charge.
This is an 85 watt 20 volt magsafe 2 charger.
I am presently using a lower rated charger from a MacBook Air that charges slowly just to keep it usable.
Is using a 6owatt charger dangerous for the MacBook.
Also with regards to getting a new charger is it worth exploring cheaper options for a charger that cost less than 2000rs. Original costs about 7800 on Amazon.
Or can I get the cable and pin alone repaired by an independent service person. The cable set costs about 800 RS. I will post pictures if possible.
Old 1st November 2018, 11:17   #2338
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Started download of Mojave update. It is 3.33GB so is taking time.
It is 10.14.1. Obviously it is a minor fix, and there is no obvious difference in performance. However, it is still desirable I guess.

Installation was interesting, three restarts, and twice the bar went back! Overall it went quite smoothly.

Last edited by sgiitk : 1st November 2018 at 11:18.
Old 1st November 2018, 11:22   #2339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
My 2013 MacBook Pro charger cable is busted. The covering cracked and was still usable. Now 2 of the pins are blackened and it doesn't charge.
Is the blackening something like this? If yes, ensure you insert the pins only in one direction so avoid blackening pins on both sides (due to symmetry). You can also try clearing it with a cotton swab or Qtip.
iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-img_4752.jpg

Quote:
I am presently using a lower rated charger from a MacBook Air that charges slowly just to keep it usable. Is using a 60watt charger dangerous for the MacBook.
You can use it to charge the device when not in use, i.e shut down as the lower wattage adapter won't be able to provide full power to the laptop. When plugged in, it could cause issues when full power is needed. I too have a 45W adapter for my 13.3 inch Pro, but I use it only under low load conditions or when its shut down. Also the Air chargers all are 45W, do check it again for specs. It will charge the battery, but slowly. Apple doesn't recommend you use lower wattage adapter at all. However you can use a higher rated one with no problems.

Quote:
Also with regards to getting a new charger is it worth exploring cheaper options for a charger that cost less than 2000rs. Original costs about 7800 on Amazon.
Check out Paytm. I purchased an original 60W one for less than 4k on their cash back offers. Ofcourse I paid the full price of (I think) Rs. 6600 or something but I got 2500 as cash back.

I don't recommend you use cheaper / local ones just to save some bucks. It could cause damages way more than the cost of an original charger.

Quote:
Or can I get the cable and pin alone repaired by an independent service person. The cable set costs about 800 RS. I will post pictures if possible.
You will need to replace the MagSafe cable and magsafe port on laptop. Refer ifixit guides and ask local Mac repairer for a quote.

Last edited by blackwasp : 1st November 2018 at 11:26.
Old 1st November 2018, 11:23   #2340
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Yes doable, I know people getting this done as DIY also. Just take it to a good electronics repair guy and get it done. Try to get some info on how to go about, so that the process is easy to explain to the person (just in case).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks