Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2019, 10:24   #2416
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I need to replace my 2011 Macbook Pro soon.
Now I'm not really sure what to get between a new MAcbook Pro or MAc mini fully kitted out. I'm looking at 16GB RAM+512GBSSD for any of the 3 above.
Which one is the third option?

Quote:
The problem is the MAcbook Pro with 16GB+512GB SSD is the cost.
The Mac mini with 16GBRAM can even be upgraded to 32GB in future and 512GB SSD with 7 USB ports including regular USB+USB-C + HDMI port is 1 lakh.
The more and more I think about the Mac mini makes a lot of sense but I'm not sure if I should sacrifice the mobility. The MAc mini will easily outlast the macbook pro as well since no battery issues after 4-5 years and doesn't have the a keyboard which is infamous even in the new Macbook's for failing.

So MAcbook Pro or just get the Mini?
I think you have answered yourself, Mac Mini is the way to go in case mobility is not required. Plus with upcoming mac os update and even otherwise, ipad pro can be used as secondary display.

With macbook, price and keyboards will be the least of your worries since RAM, SSD are soldered so no future upgrades. And then the thermal throttling issues can not be ignored. Lastly do not ignore dongle life (even though everything is going USB-C way). Recently i had to pay 40k for a 4 years old macbook pro because its MLB (motherboard) conked off during display change (Scratchgate display replacement service program) and apple and its service center did not take responsibility.

On the other hand, with Mac Mini, RAM can be upgraded by yourself without paying apple exorbitant cost for factory config and with less moving components, durability will be a non issue. Even for storage i would suggest 128 / 256gb options since mac mini has plethora of usb A and C (Thunderbolt 3) ports so at any point of time after market ssd can be plugged in for all your storage needs without paying the apple tax for the same. With the money saved you can buy the latest and greatest 4k 120hz display panels or eGPU to satiate the raw power wants.

And just in case you want to explore the windows side then latest gen XPS will be a very sweet option at your price point.

Quote:
but I'm just bent on mac.

After hearing display issues, keyboard issues and throttling issues the Mac mini was making more and more sense. Plus the user replaceable RAM and I already have a 500GB external SSD which I can plug into the ports.

With MAcbook also means I need to join dongle world and get dongle to even connect monitor, card reader, or thumb drive.
I guess then Mac Mini it is . Do give us a Team-BHP style official review of the device and the set up.

Last edited by roamer012 : 18th May 2019 at 10:50.
Old 18th May 2019, 10:46   #2417
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Which one is the third option?

And just in case you want to explore the windows side then latest gen XPS will be a very sweet option at your price point.
Third option was the MAcbook Air latest one but I myself removed that from the options when posting.

Windows I do not want since my office laptop is windows and I want a mac for home whereas official use can be windows.

For price and performance Windows is a no brainer but I'm just bent on mac.

After hearing display issues, keyboard issues and throttling issues the Mac mini was making more and more sense. Plus the user replaceable RAM and I already have a 500GB external SSD which I can plug into the ports.

With MAcbook also means I need to join dongle world and get dongle to even connect monitor, card reader, or thumb drive.
Old 18th May 2019, 16:06   #2418
Senior - BHPian

Hey Vid, go ahead and get that MacMini but you'll buy the MacBook Pro anyways. Like you, I got into all these reasonings and bought the massive screen iMac, but guess what - few months down - the lure of the new MacBook Pro, top of the line with 1Tb memory, was just too much to pass by. Got it from the US and yes it did cost 1.6 lakhs. But I don't regret for a moment. It's been a year, no keyboard issues or display irritants here my friend! It's a solid machine. I got just one dongle for USB2.0, that's it. The Apple Watch charger is C type (it's new), so are my hard drives. 'C' is the future and I invested in that environment.

Quote:
the Mac mini was making more and more sense
Old 18th May 2019, 16:46   #2419
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Mac mini with 16GBRAM can even be upgraded to 32GB in future and 512GB SSD with 7 USB ports including regular USB+USB-C + HDMI port is 1 lakh.

So Macbook Pro or just get the Mini?
Eyes closed get the Mac mini. It has better thermals, 6-core processor (2 more than non-custom 13-inch Pro), and still proper ports that are useable. With your use case, you have to spend only on Mac mini + maybe an adapter at most for the display. In future, you can easily add an external graphics card over thunderbolt and still not spend as much a 13-inch Pro.

The only Pro that is worth while is a used 2015 Pro (like I got) for 40k bucks. You might have to spend on charger and battery (depends) but thats the amount I feel is 'worth it for a portable Mac'.

Also in a pinch, you can use the Mini for presentations, etc. You can carry it around and most places with a TV or Projector should suffice. You'll need keyboard and mouse, but not totally un-portable. Just that you won't be able to work during a fight or a cab/bus ride.
Old 18th May 2019, 19:16   #2420
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Hey Vid, go ahead and get that MacMini but you'll buy the MacBook Pro anyways. Like you, I got into all these reasonings and bought the massive screen iMac, but guess what - few months down - the lure of the new MacBook Pro, top of the line with 1Tb memory, was just too much to pass by.
lol. I don't think I will get the Macbook Pro after the Mac mini for sure. I have my official Windows laptop and any travel for more than 2 days, need to carry the office machine so carrying macbook plus windows machine was not very convenient. That's why I got the iPad for movies on flight, quick email replies and conference calls. The iPad did everything and made the old macbook into a desktop. Earlier I would even carry macbook from room to room but now just take the ipad when I am not sitting on the desk in home office room.

So now when travelling I carry just ipad if quick 1-2 days tour or weekend, office laptop+ipad for business trip or any visit more than 2 days. BEst part is iPad doesn't even need to be charged for the 2 day trip.

That's why I was actually considering the MAc Mini cause the iPAd is awesome for on the go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Eyes closed get the Mac mini. It has better thermals, 6-core processor (2 more than non-custom 13-inch Pro), and still proper ports that are useable. With your use case, you have to spend only on Mac mini + maybe an adapter at most for the display. In future, you can easily add an external graphics card over thunderbolt and still not spend as much a 13-inch Pro.
Yup thats my reasoning as well. performance, user upgradable RAM in future multiple ports for connecting USB-C SSD portable drives.

Seems ideal.

Quote:
The only Pro that is worth while is a used 2015 Pro (like I got) for 40k bucks. You might have to spend on charger and battery (depends) but thats the amount I feel is 'worth it for a portable Mac'.
Nah used I won't look at after using this for 8 years. BEtter to get new and use it for another 8 years with latest tech and performance.
Old 20th May 2019, 11:11   #2421
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post

To check for these, go to 'System Preferences', then on to 'Users', then on the left-pane, choose the Mac OS ID you're logged in as, & on the right panel, click on 'Login Items'.

You should see a list of applications that are started up automatically when you log-in, if it's present, delete the application that opens up that annoying PDF.
Exactly, cured. Thanks im_srini; for fixing it.

Most grateful.
Old 20th May 2019, 11:47   #2422
BHPian

My MBP 2012 edition - has a peculiar issue off late; the touch pad seems to jump and the mouse too does things of its own.

I am unable to control it for some reason; wonder if its a issue with the track pad and what are the cost implications of this? Can I get a quick / cheap fix close to Mumbai?
Old 20th May 2019, 12:30   #2423
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
My MBP 2012 edition - has a peculiar issue off late; the touch pad seems to jump and the mouse too does things of its own.

I am unable to control it for some reason; wonder if its a issue with the track pad and what are the cost implications of this? Can I get a quick / cheap fix close to Mumbai?
You can try and SMC and PRAM reset once, just google for exact model if it is not covered in the below.

https://thenextweb.com/lifehacks/201...c-on-your-mac/

Most often such issues gets resolved with this. If not you will have to head to Mac support.
Old 20th May 2019, 12:53   #2424
BHPian

Quote:

Please check by removing charging adapter or changing wall charging socket. Have observed it in many Windows laptop due to incorrect voltage supplies issues.
Old 11th June 2019, 18:23   #2425
BANNED

Sorry folks to barge in from the 'enemy' territory.

My main machine is a MacBook Pro. However, I keep a Windows device primarily to run Tally, and some other stuff which does not work on the Mac, like Income Tax Forms, Passport Applications, etc.

Today I tried to update my Win 10 Home to version 1903. I downloaded all of it, but am stuck at 100% without a restart. How do I fix this?

Last edited by sgiitk : 11th June 2019 at 18:31.
Old 12th June 2019, 22:39   #2426
BHPian

Just putting it out there.
In my 16 months of ownership of MacBook Air, I have replaced my screen once (vertical line) and logic board twice. I now think SSD also needs to be replaced since I keep seeing that cute colourful spinning pinwheel. Also my battery indicator keeps jumping to random numbers, like 12% to 5%.
Once I am done with replacing SSD and probably battery too, my machine will be practically brand new and I will probably sell it at a minimal discount and get over the horror.
Old 14th June 2019, 15:35   #2427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
You can try and SMC and PRAM reset once, just google for exact model if it is not covered in the below.

https://thenextweb.com/lifehacks/201...c-on-your-mac/

Most often such issues gets resolved with this. If not you will have to head to Mac support.
I tried doing both the above; wasnt able to resolve...

Gave it to guy who fixes Apple products; but he said it could be trackpad / motherboard issue. He suggested I should look at buying a new one rather than fixing this one; he asked me to wait for a day so as to check everything and revert with costs.

I did not want to invest in a new machine (a colleague bought this MBA for 47k in Sep 2017; but is now 67k) or fix something over 5k with this current one.. some dilemma to resolve.

Do let me know - what you think I should do going forward.
Old 16th June 2019, 12:19   #2428
BHPian

Quote:
I tried doing both the above; wasnt able to resolve...

Gave it to guy who fixes Apple products; but he said it could be trackpad / motherboard issue. He suggested I should look at buying a new one rather than fixing this one; he asked me to wait for a day so as to check everything and revert with costs.

I did not want to invest in a new machine (a colleague bought this MBA for 47k in Sep 2017; but is now 67k) or fix something over 5k with this current one.. some dilemma to resolve.

I really hope its not a hardware issue. The motherboard/logic board costs nearly 40k+. Can make a wild guess about the trackpad though, but it will far exceed your estimate of 5k.
For example their final diagnostic and labour charge itself will cost more than 5k, then add the hardware costs. All in all a bank breaking experience.
Old 16th June 2019, 19:20   #2429
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
My main machine is a MacBook Pro. However, I keep a Windows device primarily to run Tally, and some other stuff which does not work on the Mac, like Income Tax Forms, Passport Applications, etc.

Today I tried to update my Win 10 Home to version 1903. I downloaded all of it, but am stuck at 100% without a restart. How do I fix this?
Two days later it had done the 'trick' by itself. This time when I started the update had been done, and I could get going normally.
Old 17th June 2019, 10:57   #2430
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If it is hardware then you need to check how much it will cost to repair, if it is more than 10k then new machine would be a better option.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks