Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2019, 16:59   #2431
BHPian

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
My MBP 2012 edition - has a peculiar issue off late; the touch pad seems to jump and the mouse too does things of its own.

I am unable to control it for some reason; wonder if its a issue with the track pad and what are the cost implications of this? Can I get a quick / cheap fix close to Mumbai?
I have seen this happen in high humidity areas. Can you do a quick check in a AC room just to see if you have the issue inside the AC room?
Old 17th July 2019, 22:09   #2432
BHPian

Might be a shady discussion but I have the 2014 MBP and it wasn't switching on, so I went to an Apple service center to get it repaired. Apparently, it has a few issue with the screen and the motherboard, and they quoted a price of 1 lakh for repairs.

I have another computer but I was thinking about keeping the MBP as a beater laptop or a spare computer. I surely don't want to spend 1 lakh to repair an almost 5 year old computer.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to get it repaired from the gray market? Also, do you know a place in Delhi(a specific shop) which would be reliable for such a job?

Last edited by Marauder : 17th July 2019 at 22:12.
Old 17th July 2019, 22:19   #2433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Might be a shady discussion but I have the 2014 MBP and it wasn't switching on, so I went to an Apple service center to get it repaired. Apparently, it has a few issue with the screen and the motherboard, and they quoted a price of 1 lakh for repairs.

I have another computer but I was thinking about keeping the MBP as a beater laptop or a spare computer. I surely don't want to spend 1 lakh to repair an almost 5 year old computer.

Do you guys think it's a good idea to get it repaired from the gray market? Also, do you know a place in Delhi(a specific shop) which would be reliable for such a job?
I think there are many decent alternatives available now for getting macbooks repaired. My 2013 Macbook Pro with Retina had a motherboard issue and I with a lot of apprehension got it repaired from outside. The laptop has been working fine now since more than a year now. The only downside I see is a bit of battery drop since that repair.

I don't remember who I contacted, I can maybe look it up. But I might not recommend them because they too charged me a bomb and never gave a breakup of cost. But thankfully the repair has worked. In those 2-3 days of research I found that there are many professional outfits too who repair Macs. You should be able to find them on the internet.

Regards
Rachit
Old 19th July 2019, 13:03   #2434
BANNED

For cleaning up a Mac you can try C(rap)Cleaner for Mac. I had found it excellent on the PC and seems to equally good here. However, one bit of warning, it seems to be a bit fierce and removes some shortcuts/passwords which you do not want to lose. I will get back with the configuration I used on the PC when I find it. The Free Version is good enough, My Mac has been speeded up a lot.
Old 2nd August 2019, 18:39   #2435
BANNED

Sorry to chip in. How does one activate WhatsApp on a Mac. I did it once but need some inputs, esp after whatsapp.com is loaded, what is the route into whatsApp. I am using Chrome.
Old 2nd August 2019, 20:32   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Sorry to chip in. How does one activate WhatsApp on a Mac. I did it once but need some inputs, esp after whatsapp.com is loaded, what is the route into whatsApp. I am using Chrome.
You should be able to download and install the whatsapp app from the appstore. It is working well for me.
Old 3rd August 2019, 12:21   #2437
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repsol View Post
You should be able to download and install the whatsapp app from the appstore. It is working well for me.
Yes, but how do I connect the mobile and the app. This is where I am stuck.
Old 3rd August 2019, 14:12   #2438
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP* I am using Chrome.
Please stop doing that. If you do not like Safari, please use Firefox.

Quote:
Yes, but how do I connect the mobile and the app. This is where I am stuck.
On your phone open WhatsApp, click on Settings (the gear icon at the bottom Right), select "WhatsApp Web/Desktop", press "Scan QR Code", point your phone at the WhatsApp app n the computer, et voila, you're on.

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2019, 14:19   #2439
BANNED

@tilt; Thanks for the guidance.
Old 19th August 2019, 14:12   #2440
BHPian

Hi!

I use an Early 2013 13inch MacBook Pro (Retina). My primary use is post processing of photos (Lightroom 5.2 64 bit) and some python scripting.

I am currently stuck on MacOS Sierra (10.12.6). Does anyone know of any compatibility issue with Adobe Lightroom 5.2 64 bit in High Sierra? I do not want to get sucked into the subscription model that Adobe has running for Creative Cloud after upgrading to High Sierra.

Thanks!

Last edited by feluda86 : 19th August 2019 at 14:14.
Old 15th September 2019, 21:21   #2441
Senior - BHPian

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Is it possible to buy customized MacBook Pro in India? Stock 13" comes with 8GB RAM, but can we get it customized with 16GB? I remember reading somewhere that now in India too we can customize like in other countries.
Old 16th September 2019, 05:45   #2442
Senior - BHPian

My older 2012 MacBook has a (what looks like a) HDD failure, so have ordered a 1 TB SDD from the US. Aside from the glitz and glamour of Apple products, the service sucks big time in India. Especially since I have received professional guidance from Genius Bars overseas. iPlanet in Jayanagar cares two hoots for customers, since the service staff is more interested in taking long breaks and drop tools at 5.30 pm - in order to call it a day sharp at 7 pm. They don't get it that purveyors of Apple products are high end, instead act in a high handed manner. And management dont respond to tweets or FB posts to that effect, leading one to believe that they're looking at closure. Tried 3 times to hand over - but without much success, now I'm going to do it myself. These guys wont rob me of my love for Apple.
Old 21st September 2019, 08:11   #2443
Distinguished - BHPian

I am using a Macbook Pro 13 inch retina display early 2015 model (bought in 2019 Feb). Last week quite abruptly the laptop started switching off as soon as disconnected from the power outlet. The battery started displaying "replace now" and it appears to not holding any charge even though it does go to 100%. Under System settings, it is showing only 550 cycles completed for the battery till now (Usually Apple suggests 1000 cycles before the battery needs replacement).

Went to the Apple service centre and they said battery needs replacement. Total cost is 20k.

1. Can I get the battery outside? 20k is loot for a battery.
2. I would normally expect a battery to start showing its age with gradual decrease in its capacity. I didn't notice any such thing on my laptop and it just suddenly gave way. Can there be any other issue?
3. My laptop's screen has also gone bad with multiple scratches due to that anti glare coating peeling off (known issue with Apple). The service centre says my machine still qualifies for a free replacement of the screen. Would it affect this if I get the battery changed outside.
4. Is the battery cheaper in USA? A friend is going there next month and I can send my laptop with him, although this is going to be a bit cumbersome.
Old 21st September 2019, 09:46   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
1. Can I get the battery outside? 20k is loot for a battery.
2. I would normally expect a battery to start showing its age with gradual decrease in its capacity. I didn't notice any such thing on my laptop and it just suddenly gave way. Can there be any other issue?
3. My laptop's screen has also gone bad with multiple scratches due to that anti glare coating peeling off (known issue with Apple). The service centre says my machine still qualifies for a free replacement of the screen. Would it affect this if I get the battery changed outside.
4. Is the battery cheaper in USA? A friend is going there next month and I can send my laptop with him, although this is going to be a bit cumbersome.
I don't know a lot about macbook but having repaired one for my friend, I would suggest you to open the back panel and check if any connector is lose or any lock pin is unhooked because sometimes it can be as simple as that.

Warning: If you plan to open it do mark the screws with different permanent markers because they are all of different sizes and a long screw in the wrong hole can easily damage the logic board rendering it un-repairable.

1. Only if you know the repair shop uses good quality because there are loads of different quality parts being sold.

3. If possible get the screen replaced first and then go for any type of repair for the battery.

4. I know a good repair shop in Manhattan that specializes in apple repairs and is far more professional than the Genius Bar in USA.

Do let me know if you want the details of the shop.

Last edited by revvharder : 21st September 2019 at 09:53.
Old 21st September 2019, 10:12   #2445
BHPian

I have a Early 2011 MBP running High Sierra. Plan to replace my dead superdrive with additional storage.

I already have bought a caddy, would this machine support a 1 TB HDD or should I go for 250 GB SSD ??
PS : I've upgraded RAM to 16 GB and replaced the battery in 2014. It was a DIY Job with spares bought off amazon US.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks