Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2010, 17:36   #241
Senior - BHPian

I was told in the store that I can buy it any time before the end of the first year, so does it make sense to wait? Also, my experience with things electronic has been that if anything does not fail in the initial days, it tends not to - that was the thought behind being ok with just the first years coverage that is free. And if things fail after three years, there is no protection either. Does it still make sense to cover years 2 and 3?
@Xehaust - what did you have to change?

Last edited by Sawyer : 31st March 2010 at 17:37.
Old 31st March 2010, 20:17   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
....Also, my experience with things electronic has been that if anything does not fail in the initial days, it tends not to...
You have been really lucky i must say. But like suggested by others it would be better to take it if not now atleast before the end of the first year.

Though mine was not a mac, i got a Dell Vostro which had the default one year warranty. Just 3 days after the warranty, the mother board gave up and it costs 16k to replace it. Call it bad luck!
Old 31st March 2010, 20:47   #243
BHPian

So far, on my macbookpro, I've had to replace my screen, and my superdrive. Luckily, I had the extended 3 year APP!

i was told that the superdrive itself costs upwards of 16,000, and the display would've been much much more!
Old 31st March 2010, 20:52   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
So far, on my macbookpro, I've had to replace my screen, and my superdrive. Luckily, I had the extended 3 year APP!

i was told that the superdrive itself costs upwards of 16,000, and the display would've been much much more!
Superdrive in the sense ? the external CD drive rite ? The one needed for the AIR costs 5.5k .
Old 31st March 2010, 21:30   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Get it. Its saved me the amount paid already
The same for me too !
Old 31st March 2010, 22:54   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I was told in the store that I can buy it any time before the end of the first year, so does it make sense to wait? Also, my experience with things electronic has been that if anything does not fail in the initial days, it tends not to - that was the thought behind being ok with just the first years coverage that is free. And if things fail after three years, there is no protection either. Does it still make sense to cover years 2 and 3?
That makes more sense. I myself bought the warranty just before the standard 1 year warranty got over. But am still happy i got it as i did have recurring problems within the 1st year itself. But believe me, though it might seem expensive, nothing beats the peace of mind you get that for a period of 3 years, anything goes wrong (apart from physical damage ofcourse ) you dont have to worry to pay a dime. Its all taken care of including labour. So zero payments. Also, assuming you are not someone who sells electronics very often & tend to keep them for a while.

My macbooks circuit board failed (laptop wasnt charging) once, my power adaptor stopped working once (yes, the power adaptor is also covered under warranty, thank god & it costs over 4K to buy a new one) and the bluetooth stopped working 3 times over
But the bluetooth issue was mostly because of the crappy service centre i used to go to earlier. They even replaced the keyboard when i went in for the circuit board problem saying that the keyboard also wasnt working (though im sure it was) and even managed to scratch my laptop & then have the audacity to say that it was already there. Changed to another service center & they are like heaven compared to the previous one, very proffesional as well.

Another generic problem is:
Ive noticed that the superdrives (optical drive in layman terms) have a very high failure rate. After a year or so, they tend to go kaput. Seems to be a generic thing which cant be blamed on apple as i feel its mostly due to the our dusty conditions since the drives are open in nature (slot drives). Now have peace of mind for this too, will just get it replaced in case it stops working. And yes, as stated by someone earlier, it does cost upwards of 16k to get it replaced.
Might as well buy an external optical drive if you really need it & warranty is over for 1/8th the cost and it will last ages as well. But in todays world, we hardly ever use the optical drive. Mustve used it only 5-10 times myself in the past 2 years.

Hope this detailed reply helps everyone.

Last edited by Xehaust : 31st March 2010 at 22:57.
Old 31st March 2010, 22:56   #247
Team-BHP Support

Ok! I installed rEFIt on Snow Leopard so that I can install Linux as the third OS. I have already installed Windows 7 as the second OS using boot camp. Just before the rEFit install, I also shrinked the Mac partition by 20GB to create some free space for the Linux.

When I restarted after installing rEFIt, it booted directly into Windows. Since rEFIt apparently needs two reboot to find itself, I rebooted again, and again found myself in Windows. Upon checking from the Windows Disk management, I can see the 200MB GPT partition, the Macintosh HD partition and the Boot camp partition. I can also access the Macintosh HD partition as E drive from the Windows side.

Looks like the partitions are fine, but the MBR seems to be corrupt. The rEFit install should have cleanly replaced the Mac MBR. But that hasn't happened.

If I press option while booting, it gives me only one OS choice, Windows. The iMac doesn't recognize the Mac partition for now. Therefore, I tried the repair option using disk utility in the OS X install disk. That utility isn't even capable of deciphering the partition info, it thinks it is a MSDOS partition. When I clicked on repair, it gave up saying it can't repair the partition.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day. I hope can can recover the Mac partition without having to re-install. In all this hoopla, I still haven't opened the iPhone 3Gs box I received yesterday.

I am finding no way to boot into Mac OS X for now although the partition look healthy and I can access all the Mac partition files from Windows 7.

Last edited by Samurai : 31st March 2010 at 23:02.
Old 31st March 2010, 23:00   #248
Senior - BHPian

Belkin AC anywhere, Inverter 200watt . Cost was Rs,1300/-
Old 31st March 2010, 23:57   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
When I restarted after installing rEFIt, it booted directly into Windows. Since rEFIt apparently needs two reboot to find itself, I rebooted again, and again found myself in Windows. Upon checking from the Windows Disk management, I can see the 200MB GPT partition, the Macintosh HD partition and the Boot camp partition. I can also access the Macintosh HD partition as E drive from the Windows side.
Why do you need rEFIt to have dual boot Mac and Linux? I have Snow Leopard and Ubuntu 9.10 using bootcamp. I just press Alt while booting and it gives me option to boot from Mac or Linux.
Old 1st April 2010, 00:04   #250
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Why do you need rEFIt to have dual boot Mac and Linux? I have Snow Leopard and Ubuntu 9.10 using bootcamp. I just press Alt while booting and it gives me option to boot from Mac or Linux.
I need triple booting (Mac/Win7/Linux), not just dual booting. I heard boot camp doesn't support more than two OS, am I wrong?
Old 1st April 2010, 00:10   #251
BHPian

Quote:
I need triple booting (Mac/Win7/Linux), not just dual booting. I heard boot camp doesn't support more than two OS, am I wrong?
What do you mean actually when you say bootcamp doesn't support more than two OS? I used bootcamp just to partition my Mac HDD and then installed Linux on it. If I need any other OS, I can re-partition my HDD from within Linux and install one more OS.

I haven't tried this yet, but I think it shouldn't be a problem.
Old 1st April 2010, 00:30   #252
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What do you mean actually when you say bootcamp doesn't support more than two OS? I used bootcamp just to partition my Mac HDD and then installed Linux on it.
I too have installed two OS using boot camp. That is not my question. Have you installed 3 OS using boot camp?

Quote:
If I need any other OS, I can re-partition my HDD from within Linux and install one more OS.

I haven't tried this yet, but I think it shouldn't be a problem.
That is how it is done in a PC since ages. Does that work in Apple too?

You may not think it is a problem, but lot of people think it is not easy, and I quote:

Quote:
Apple realized some time ago that people might want to dual-boot their new machines so they created Boot Camp. Indeed, Boot Camp does make it easy to dual-boot and they even give you all of the drivers needed to make Windows support their hardware... but what about triple-booting? Maybe someday the Boot Camp developers will implement triple-booting but for now it only supports dual-boot.

While Intel Macs are very similar to traditional PC machines there are a number of differences that make it challenging to setup a triple-boot scenario.
Source: http://www.montanalinux.org/mac-triple-boot.html

Last edited by Samurai : 1st April 2010 at 00:49.
Old 1st April 2010, 01:22   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Have you installed 3 OS using boot camp?
I haven't yet, but can give it a try.

Quote:
That is how it is done in a PC since ages. Does that work in Apple too?
As I mentioned again, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work. If you are worried about boot loader, the GRUB should take care of all 3 OS IMO. Right now I see GRUB detects Mac OS X and Ubuntu, it should detect Windows also if present.

Quote:
]You may not think it is a problem, but lot of people think it is not easy, and I quote:

Source: HOWTO: Linux on the Intel iMac - Triple booting | MontanaLinux.org
There are quite a few blog entries about how to triple boot, but I won't trust them until I do it myself. I don't have any additional Macs at my disposal right now to experiment. The only one I have is for work and don't want to mess with it right now as we are in a critical phase for the project.

BTW, regarding your rEFIt not detecting Mac OS X partition, I found this on Ubuntu Forums - [ubuntu] Ubuntu 9.04 / rEFIt / can't boot into Mac OS X - Ubuntu Forums
Old 1st April 2010, 10:24   #254
Team-BHP Support

What I am saying is triple-booting isn't straight forward like dual booting via boot camp. I just hope I don't have to reinstall Mac OS to fix this problem.
Old 1st April 2010, 17:34   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjunrudra View Post
Thanks a lot Tejas. Will try that now.

Hi dante,
I have an Air with me and I'm absolutely in love with it. My requirements were the same as your's . The wifi is simply brilliant and I siggest you to go for it and also advise you to take the Superdrive to play the Cd's you want to .
Thanks bro. Don't need the optical drive. But will think about the superdrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Yep if you're not power hungry. And I suggest dont go in for the SSD its a waste of money.
SSD is faster than the regular ATA. I don't want it to slow down on multitasking. So 2.13 Ghz is better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks