Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2010, 22:50   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante View Post
Thanks bro. Don't need the optical drive. But will think about the superdrive.

SSD is faster than the regular ATA. I don't want it to slow down on multitasking. So 2.13 Ghz is better.
Remember the Superdrive will only work on a MacBook Air - it is not compatible with other Macs or PCs.

SSD is way faster than a normal HDD, if you can afford it, go for it, you will never go back to a regular HDD again!!!
Old 1st April 2010, 23:14   #257
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I still haven't opened the iPhone 3Gs box I received yesterday.
How much did you pay for the 3GS? Is it a good phone?
I am planning to get a new phone and am confused between BB9700, iPhone 3GS, HTC Desire, Nexus One and the SE Xperia X10 (my choice so far)!
Old 1st April 2010, 23:25   #258
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
It is an factory unlocked 16GB 3GS, cost me 31.5K, somebody got it from Dubai for me. I still haven't opened that box. I am still wrestling with iMac. I had to reinstall everything. This time didn't bother with bootcamp.

Refit is working, finally.
Mac OS re-installed and boots too.
Arch-Linux installed, but grub is not installing. So I can't boot from it.
Currently installing Win 7 again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Meanwhile, I need to figure out how to get grub installed correctly. That is out of scope for this thread.
Old 2nd April 2010, 00:34   #259
Team-BHP Support

Sigh! Windows got installed, I could even boot it. But when I tried to get refit partition tool to recognise it, it removed the partition and destroyed windows. It couldn't be repaired either.

Soooo, back to square one. I'll remove and re-create linux and windows partitions from Mac OS again tomorrow.

Will be trying this: http://squinks.com/Tutorials/Entries...8_-_Vista.html

Last edited by Samurai : 2nd April 2010 at 01:17.
Old 2nd April 2010, 07:44   #260
Senior - BHPian

Got the magic mouse yesterday. Not sure how much it adds to the trackpad of the macbook from a functionality pov, but it does look cool and typically apple. Works well too but I am not sure it is meant for all day use from an ergonomics angle. Suits me just fine, as a well made good looking gadget!
Old 2nd April 2010, 13:47   #261
Team-BHP Support

Today I ripped out Win7 and Linux partitions and re-created using Mac OS disk utility. I must have restarted iMac more than 100 times by now.

Got the Linux partition working and booting from refit. Grub doesn't work, had to use Lilo.

Installing Win7 again now... let's see. Fingers crossed, toes crossed.
Old 2nd April 2010, 14:42   #262
Team-BHP Support

Triple Boot on iMac. Enough Said!

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-_4026295.jpg
Old 2nd April 2010, 15:54   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
Remember the Superdrive will only work on a MacBook Air - it is not compatible with other Macs or PCs.

SSD is way faster than a normal HDD, if you can afford it, go for it, you will never go back to a regular HDD again!!!
Yeah i know superdrive is only for Air. Thank though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
I am planning to get a new phone and am confused between BB9700, iPhone 3GS, HTC Desire, Nexus One and the SE Xperia X10 (my choice so far)!
I have a 3gs. It's a nice phone. But has battery back up issues. It's nowhere near to nokia. Have to charge it everyday. But IMO better than the rest. I was a 2g owner for 2 and half years and switched to 3gs.

Quote:
It is an factory unlocked 16GB 3GS, cost me 31.5K, somebody got it from Dubai for me. I still haven't opened that box. .
Very expensive i must say. I got it for 36000/- unlocked 3.1.3 16Gb
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:15   #264
BHPian

Went to Croma a few days back with my Dad to get him a Macbook.

The lady at the Apple counter, said they could extend a 7% discount (normally applicable only to Tata employees - using her id)

While her colleague was getting a new Macbook from their store, I was looking at the iMac. The current line up consists of the 21.5 inch or 27 inch model. The 21.5 inch was working out to Rs. 61,500/- ( after the 7% discount )

I've been using 2 Mac Mini's at work ( older processor - not Intel one ), and the CD drive of 1 of these went kaput recently. So, was eyeing the 21.5 inch iMac.

Again, the lady offered a ex-demo ( 2 months used ) 24 inch iMac ( previous gen. ) for a price of Rs. 58,000/- nett ( usual price: Rs. 78,000/- )

Told her to get it from the store, powered it up and checked the unit thoroughly. Was flawless.

Ended up buying 2 Mac's from Croma that day !!
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:48   #265
Team-BHP Support

Congraats for the double whammy ! Enjoy. For me the best VFM is the Mini ! terrific performance under 40K !
Old 2nd April 2010, 16:57   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
It is an factory unlocked 16GB 3GS, cost me 31.5K, somebody got it from Dubai for me. I still haven't opened that box. .
Very expensive i must say. I got it for 36000/- unlocked 3.1.3 16Gb
If 31.5K is very expensive, why did you pay 36K?
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:37   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post
@quickdraw mcgraw
SSD may be expensive, but it sure is much faster, quieter, and longerlasting than HDD..
No moving parts in SSD translate to longer life and thus, your data is less likely to get 'lost'..
Its tech, you cant say its more reliable then HDD's well its safer because of lesser moving parts. But failure rate is another thing. Its faster but at 5 times the price and lesser storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I was told in the store that I can buy it any time before the end of the first year, so does it make sense to wait? Also, my experience with things electronic has been that if anything does not fail in the initial days, it tends not to - that was the thought behind being ok with just the first years coverage that is free. And if things fail after three years, there is no protection either. Does it still make sense to cover years 2 and 3?
@Xehaust - what did you have to change?
Buy applecare from eBay USA. It will work out to be far cheaper then retail prices in India.

Quote:
SSD is faster than the regular ATA. I don't want it to slow down on multitasking. So 2.13 Ghz is better.

500$ difference in price for 10 seconds on bootup and even lesser on opening files. And much lesser storage.

Quote:
Triple Boot on iMac. Enough Said!

Attachment 320528
Is linux giving you hell on the Mac?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post

The lady at the Apple counter, said they could extend a 7% discount (normally applicable only to Tata employees - using her id)

While her colleague was getting a new Macbook from their store, I was looking at the iMac. The current line up consists of the 21.5 inch or 27 inch model. The 21.5 inch was working out to Rs. 61,500/- ( after the 7% discount )

I've been using 2 Mac Mini's at work ( older processor - not Intel one ), and the CD drive of 1 of these went kaput recently. So, was eyeing the 21.5 inch iMac.

Again, the lady offered a ex-demo ( 2 months used ) 24 inch iMac ( previous gen. ) for a price of Rs. 58,000/- nett ( usual price: Rs. 78,000/- )

Told her to get it from the store, powered it up and checked the unit thoroughly. Was flawless.

Lovely, but I would always recommend getting quotes from Rahul Commerce guys they usually have great deals as well.
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:56   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

For guys in bombay specially. I know the wholesaler for apple products. So if you want any big stuff, you can ask me for the contact number. You will get atleast 4-5k less than market prices.

EDIT:

According to mac terminology:

Optical drive is the external one.

Internal drives are:
Combo drive: CD rewrite and DVD read: sold earlier
Superdrive: CD and DVD write

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 3rd April 2010 at 12:00. Reason: see edit
Old 3rd April 2010, 21:33   #269
BHPian

@Samurai: How is Arch (I am on Arch as well ) doing on the mac? I have heard of instances where people run into power-management/acpi issues.
Old 3rd April 2010, 23:59   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecclipse78 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Lovely, but I would always recommend getting quotes from Rahul Commerce guys they usually have great deals as well.
i called up Maple as it was recommended by a member here. The guy and lady were very helpful on the phone.

They too don't have the Core i5 model. ANd they are not able to provide the exact date of arrival. Its a shame. I need two as part of my new project. As I am already late by 15 days. i am worried.

I even called Apple Bangalore, the dumb lady at the other side too don't have the exact date when the batch will arrive.

Its really a shame how Apple India is being run.

If not available within next week I will have to revert back to Dell Workstation.

Apple will only loose customer this way and they should know the fact that now Mac OS can be installed on PC easily.

PS: i even emailed about this to Apple USA. Lets see whats their answer is.

Last edited by SirAlec : 4th April 2010 at 00:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks