Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2021, 17:27   #2791
Team-BHP Support

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Apple website also has very delayed delivery timelines mentioned
I just got my MBA a few weeks back, was a custom order (since I wanted 16GB RAM). It took ten days, from order to delivery.
Old 5th July 2021, 17:44   #2792
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I just got my MBA a few weeks back, was a custom order (since I wanted 16GB RAM). It took ten days, from order to delivery.
Yup thats what I want too, 16gb RAM with 256gb SSD, M1 7 core GPU and optional finger print keyboard. Delivery is showing second week August.

What did you land up paying? The apple website doesn't seem to have any credit card offers

Also how are you liking the new iMac? I am upgrading from a 2012 21.5 iMac which I have upgraded the ram to 8gb and 512 ssd. It's quite quick already but since it has lasted me for a decade nearly, I want to future proof my purchase and get a 16gb as the m1 imacs are not upgradable.
Old 5th July 2021, 18:01   #2793
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also how are you liking the new iMac?
I got the MacBook Air with M1, no idea about the iMac. Yea, 16GB RAM should last you for a decade.
Old 8th July 2021, 10:55   #2794
BHPian

Hello all,
My brother at home is using a MBA (late 2015 model) and is facing some issues.

Since it is an old laptop, I can understand the lag and drop in battery life. But since the past week, he constantly gets this error message:

"There was a problem with this laptop so it has to be restarted" and then hangs up and there is just a black screen.

What could be the probable reason for this error?

Any help in the thread or on PM would be of great help since his classes and exams are now getting interrupted because of this issue.
Old 8th July 2021, 12:53   #2795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftlock View Post
Hello all,
Please share the details of the error. You can see the details by either clicking "Report to Apple", or clicking the button for more details (don't remember the actual button label).
Old 11th July 2021, 13:23   #2796
Team-BHP Support

Need help setting up an HP DeskJet 2332 on a MacBook Air running Big Sur 11.4.

Printer is detected fine via USB by the Mac (verified in both System Information > USB and through the native Add Printer menu), but the HP Smart app keeps saying it can't locate a printer.

Curiously, the HP Easy Start app detects the printer, but then suggest to install HP Smart to continue setup (no option to NOT use HP Smart).

What a mess.
Old 12th July 2021, 11:09   #2797
BHPian

Quote:
Hello all,
My brother at home is using a MBA (late 2015 model) and is facing some issues.

Since it is an old laptop, I can understand the lag and drop in battery life. But since the past week, he constantly gets this error message:

"There was a problem with this laptop so it has to be restarted" and then hangs up and there is just a black screen.

Any help in the thread or on PM would be of great help since his classes and exams are now getting interrupted because of this issue.
Try booting the Mac into Safe Mode (https://support.apple.com/en-in/guid...lp/mh21245/mac), then shut down and start again normally and see if the issue resolves itself.

And also make sure you are on the latest OS update.

Cheers
Old 15th July 2021, 18:18   #2798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthy View Post
Please share the details of the error.
Hi, it was a Kernel Panic error. The guys at the service center are saying that most likely it is an issue with the logic board which will need replacement. I tried looking at the system report for the Kernel Panic details but could not understand the exact technicalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Try booting the Mac into Safe Mode (https://support.apple.com/en-in/guid...lp/mh21245/mac), then shut down and start again normally and see if the issue resolves itself.

And also make sure you are on the latest OS update.

Cheers
Unfortunately, even after booting in safe mode, the issue still persisted. That is why we took it to the Apple service center.
Old 16th July 2021, 10:02   #2799
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, it was a Kernel Panic error. The guys at the service center are saying that most likely it is an issue with the logic board which will need replacement. I tried looking at the system report for the Kernel Panic details but could not understand the exact technicalities.

Unfortunately, even after booting in safe mode, the issue still persisted. That is why we took it to the Apple service center.
No worries If you had not done so, that is what my next recommendation would have been anyway, so we are good!

Considering thiis machine would be out of warranty and also out of AppleCare, be prepared for a sizeable bill.

Good luck and cheers
Old 16th July 2021, 10:20   #2800
BHPian

Quote:
Also how are you liking the new iMac? I am upgrading from a 2012 21.5 iMac which I have upgraded the ram to 8gb and 512 ssd. It's quite quick already but since it has lasted me for a decade nearly, I want to future proof my purchase and get a 16gb as the m1 imacs are not upgradable.
I ordered an yellow iMac 24" M1 with 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM. The timelines showed 9th August to 23rd August. Added the numeric keyboard and touchpad as well to it. Some of the other colors have early deliveries. I did not take apple care. Still contemplating on that.

Do not opt for the 7 core as it seems to miss one Fan/heat sink.

Apart from that we ordered a gold Macbook Air M1 512gb SSD and 8 GB RAM as well which was delivered within 5 days.

Last edited by indian21r : 16th July 2021 at 10:24.
Old 16th July 2021, 12:06   #2801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I ordered an yellow iMac 24" M1 with 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM. The timelines showed 9th August to 23rd August. Added the numeric keyboard and touchpad as well to it. Some of the other colors have early deliveries. I did not take apple care. Still contemplating on that.

Do not opt for the 7 core as it seems to miss one Fan/heat sink.

Apart from that we ordered a gold Macbook Air M1 512gb SSD and 8 GB RAM as well which was delivered within 5 days.
Did you manage to get a GST invoice with your number added? That another issue with ordering from Apple.in
They don’t allow you to add your gst number to the invoice
Old 16th July 2021, 13:55   #2802
BHPian

Quote:
Did you manage to get a GST invoice with your number added? That another issue with ordering from Apple.in
They don’t allow you to add your gst number to the invoice
I did not opt for GST benefit. I took it on personal name.
Old 17th July 2021, 11:35   #2803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
*SNIP*

I did not take apple care. Still contemplating on that.

*SNIP*
Please, always, always buy AppleCare. It is worth the price.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 20:11   #2804
BHPian

Quote:

Update:
The repair cost was too high so we ended up purchasing a new M1 MBA. It's been 2 days and this is machine just flies through everything.
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 10:44   #2805
BHPian

I am thinking of getting an M1 Mac Mini and I was wondering if I can use my existing MS Office 2019 key for installing MS Office on the Mac Mini. Else is there anyplace I can purchase an inexpensive key for MS office for Mac.

Most Viewed