Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2012, 15:49   #751
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Did you buy the MacBook Pro 13 inch??

I checked at Jumbo electronics. Even they have this 6000 Accessory free offer. But he said if I dont want accesories I can take a max of 5K cash discount. I want a 15 inch one but I will have to wait for a long time I guess as it is way out of my budget right now.

Guys is there a possibilty that a new Macbook pro will be launched around August in conference that these guys have to launch products. and if this happens the current one's might go cheaper. Also what is the concept of student's discount on Macs. What I mean how much discount I can expect and what will I need to show them as document?

I am trying to look at all possibilities.

Thanks.
Unfortunately didnt find a Jumbo electronics here in hyderabad.

Thanks, will go throught them.
Old 20th March 2012, 16:11   #752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Finally purchased my dream machine.

Kindly suggest me some apps which might be useful. Like a audio/video player, mp3 trimmer, IM et al.
Congratulations and welcome to the Mac community.

Here are some apps I'd suggest -

Alfred - lighting fast app launcher/file finder, this doesn't slow down over time like spotlight does

Appcleaner - There is no uninstall program for most of the Mac apps. This one finds all the files created by an app and lets you delete that. Just deleting the .app file doesn't really clean up all the mess left behind.

iStat Menus - amazing set of utilities that give you all the information about your system (PM me to find out how to use demo version all the time)

Movist - awesome movie player with easy to operate controls and lots of customizations for subtitles (better rendering of video and lightwight compared to VLC)

Transmission - the best torrent client available on earth
Old 20th March 2012, 17:57   #753
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks man. Is there something that lets you clean your mac up - like a defrag option on windows? I remember Tejas mentioning something earlier on.
Old 20th March 2012, 19:13   #754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally purchased my dream machine....straight to Croma and they had a offer in which we get 6000 rupees worth of accessories free. If we dont avail the option, we can get max of 3k discount on the MRP.....
Congrats !! I got mine (15", i7) on 4th of this month from croma itself. Same 6k offer was converted into full cash discount after a real bargaining with the manager. In fact I went for a printer cartridge, it was out of stock, glanced through the mac area and ended up carrying one home It was totally unplanned, otherwise my friend in TCS would have added 2.5% extra discount on top of the 6k. Anyway certain things happen out of a fleeting moment !!!

I got a iAccy keyboard protector (899/-) and a Incase neoprene sleeve (2450/-) from imagine store.

Quote:
....Opted for a 9 month EMI with a one time processing fee of Rs.500
That was same in my case too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
....Transmission - the best torrent client available on earth
Thanks buddy, could you suggest a good quality in-ear head phone for mac ? I find a huge selection between 400 to 7k !!
Old 20th March 2012, 19:34   #755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks buddy, could you suggest a good quality in-ear head phone for mac ? I find a huge selection between 400 to 7k !!
You are welcome. For headphones, I'm not the right guy. I'm not into audio at all. I don't even have any earphones (except those I get with mobiles).
Old 20th March 2012, 19:57   #756
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx
Quote:
You are welcome. For headphones, I'm not the right guy. I'm not into audio at all. I don't even have any earphones (except those I get with mobiles).
Shure SE115+ is one of the best out there.

Amazon.com: Shure SE115m+ Sound Isolating Headset (Black): Electronics

Its costlier in India. But still available. There is an authorized Indian dealer for Shure in Bangalore.

Last edited by ampere : 20th March 2012 at 19:58.
Old 20th March 2012, 20:31   #757
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Shure SE115+ is one of the best out there......
Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately Shure model you mentioned comes with a single pin. I wanted something with dual pins for audio and mic which is perfect fit for mac as well as my desktop. Infact I have been searching since many days and finally took a chance with Philips SHM6600 Headset, Rs.897 from flipkart. I just placed the order before I saw your post There are plenty of choices above 2k, but let me see how Philips perform, my main usage is work related skype calls.
Old 20th March 2012, 21:22   #758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Thanks for the heads up, unfortunately Shure model you mentioned comes with a single pin. I wanted something with dual pins for audio and mic which is perfect fit for mac as well as my desktop.
I can vouch for the 115+ because. I have one. Brilliant noise isolation.
In fact I would not recommend folks to wear this on and walk on the road!
You wont listen to the honks!!

It also comes with a mic and a buttons which are compatible with Iphone.
Not sure of Androids. I have been this with my ipod classic for more than a year now.
Old 21st March 2012, 07:33   #759
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations and welcome to the Mac community.

Here are some apps I'd suggest -

Alfred - lighting fast app launcher/file finder, this doesn't slow down over time like spotlight does

Appcleaner - There is no uninstall program for most of the Mac apps. This one finds all the files created by an app and lets you delete that. Just deleting the .app file doesn't really clean up all the mess left behind.

iStat Menus - amazing set of utilities that give you all the information about your system (PM me to find out how to use demo version all the time)

Movist - awesome movie player with easy to operate controls and lots of customizations for subtitles (better rendering of video and lightwight compared to VLC)

Transmission - the best torrent client available on earth
Thanks mate. Should come in handy.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:40   #760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere

Shure SE115+ is one of the best out there.

Amazon.com: Shure SE115m+ Sound Isolating Headset (Black): Electronics

Its costlier in India. But still available. There is an authorized Indian dealer for Shure in Bangalore.
+1

I love the set i have
Old 21st March 2012, 12:14   #761
BHPian

I got myself an iMac 21" recently. So any existing iMac owners, what do you do to cover up the iMac at the end of the day? The screen, keyboard and mouse seem to gather dust easily. I am still using the original cover (white semi cloth one), but that is getting torn in the seams. Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 12:19   #762
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure whether this has been answered before, but, I will still ask:

I have the first gen iphone's ear plugs, which does not get into the ear plug slot of macbook pro, which i bought a month ago. Any good headset suggestion for the same? I do not want to spend too much moola on that, just good is good enough for me. Mainly, I plan to use it to listen to some itunes lectures, and stuff like that.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:30   #763
F50
Senior - BHPian

Another app which I find useful is Caffeine. Prevents Mac from going off to sleep.

Which anti-virus you guys use?

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
I got myself an iMac 21" recently. So any existing iMac owners, what do you do to cover up the iMac at the end of the day? The screen, keyboard and mouse seem to gather dust easily. I am still using the original cover (white semi cloth one), but that is getting torn in the seams. Thanks
I use those Silicon Keyboard covers. Mine is blue.

iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)-11014490macbookprosiliconekeyboardcoverred.jpg

Source: Google

Last edited by F50 : 21st March 2012 at 12:35.
Old 21st March 2012, 12:34   #764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Another app which I find useful is Caffeine. Prevents Mac from going off to sleep.

+1. I too use caffeine extensively, didn't mention earlier becuase I thought it doesn't solve a main-stream use-case.

I don't use any anti-viruses on my Mac.

EDIT: Some more recommended apps

VirtualBox: it is basically free VmWare Fusion.

DropBox: no introduction needed

GrandPerspective: gives you a graphical representation of the HDD based on file sizes, very useful for cleanup

Twitter for Mac: no introduction needed

By the way, if you have not visited Mac App Store yet, do it. There are many free apps which are very useful.

Last edited by Gandhi : 21st March 2012 at 12:37.
Old 21st March 2012, 18:18   #765
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakhon View Post
I am not sure whether this has been answered before, but, I will still ask......
Look 4 posts above you, I have mentioned what I ordered yesterday. It has 2 independent pins for mic and audio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
Do you really need one ? I have not even thought about it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks