Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2012, 20:14   #796
BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Your reply puts 2 things into my mind: Do the partition, Dont do the partition
Let's put it in a simple way. Partition only if you want to install either Windows or Linux along side Mac.

Quote:
Time Machine is displayed in the launchpad, that requires an external drive right ?
Yes. It is very intelligent. When you set it up, you just have to tell it the folders you want to backup. Next time you attach the external drive, it identifies it as time machine drive and does incremental backup.
Old 31st March 2012, 21:51   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
When you set it up, you just have to tell it the folders you want to backup.
Just a small correction. You can only provide exceptions, as there is no provision to provide only "particular" folders to back up. As a system backup utility, it would be pointless to NOT backup the complete system (with the exception of some hand-picked folders like movies, etc) except what you definitely don't care about!
Old 31st March 2012, 22:16   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Let's put it in a simple way. Partition only if you want to install either Windows or Linux along side Mac.....
Thanks buddy, I dont have windows or linux plan, never need them for my kind of work. I will do the timemachine stuff once I get my additional drive.
Old 1st April 2012, 00:53   #799
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
- It may be a faulty RAM, since it shows up at different stages.
If its out of warranty do you want to try opening it up and change the memory card to see it works?
I still have another year of AppleCare. I had 3 OS (MacOS, Win7 & Linux) on this iMac since two years. This month I removed the Linux partition and got rid of rEFIt boot utility. But the removal was not very clean. Things started to go haywire after that.

Yesterday I spoke to Apple Tech Support, and they suspect some corruption in the drive. Now I can't get the machine to start 9/10 times. Technician is scheduled to visit me on Monday.
Old 2nd April 2012, 22:35   #800
Senior - BHPian

I am a man with apple gadgets. I mac, Mac Book pro and Iphone. I am so happy with all the three. For some of my works I need Sun Java and internet explorer. Any how I manage some work with Safari,with Fn,F1 or F2 keys.But for some works it is not at all possible. IE is a must for me. My O S is MAc OS X10 and Snow Lion. In case, if I install a windows7 as additional OS, will it be possible to use Internet explorer ?
Old 3rd April 2012, 00:37   #801
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yesterday I spoke to Apple Tech Support, and they suspect some corruption in the drive. Now I can't get the machine to start 9/10 times. Technician is scheduled to visit me on Monday.
Today as the technician arrived, he gave one look at the screen and said my display has gone bad. There is some dusty stuff on the display, which is a common problem with 27 inch displays. He right away said it will be replaced.

I can't even insert the OS Install disk since my iMac spits out any DVD that is inserted. He said that too is a common problem and that too will be replaced.

Now I got a little confused, as the phone tech support guy was convinced there was a disk corruption problem. What is the connection between bad display and disk corruption? Since saturday I could only boot in Mac OS safe boot mode.

Regarding that, the technician said my partitions have gone bad. In safe boot mod he showed that the BOOTCAMP drive was not even mountable. He asked me to take backup saying he will re-install the OS completely. There is no other choice. Also, he couldn't tell me how I can take backup of my windows partition when I can neither boot into Windows nor see it from Mac OS in safe boot mode.

About 20 years back I used to professionally recover disk partitions and recover data from crashed hard drives. Now I am out of touch, but given the only choice of re-install, I decided to handle the software issue by myself.

Since my DVD drive doesn't work, I first needed to create a USB bootable drive for Mac OS Install DVD. I first tried to get a dmg file of the DVD from my office in Manipal. But the download died after downloading 4.7GB. Then I managed to created a mac ISO file of the Install DVD in my Windows Laptop using imgburn. Since Mac in safe boot doesn't recognize windows formated drives, moving that iso to iMac was a big challenge. Then I managed to create a writable shared drive in iMac and transfered the iso file over the network. Then I converted the ISO to DMG using Disk Utility. And then wrote that DMG into a 8GB USB drive using SuperDuper! and created a bootable OS Install pen drive. I booted from that and ran disk utility to verify/repair the Mac partition as previously instructed by the phone support guy. Didn't make an iota of difference.

As I started planning for backup & re-install, a thought occurred to me. This disk corruption business started after I removed rEFIt. What if I install it back, what have I got to lose? So I downloaded and re-installed rEFTIt back on the Mac OS. Bingo! problem solved. I am able to boot into both Mac OS and Windows now.

But there is a serious problem still remaining. After logging into Windows, I launched a video and soon the whole screen froze. At the lower right corner I saw a message saying Windows just recovered from a serious graphical error . I hope that will go away once the display is changed. The parts are due to arrive in 3 days max.
Old 3rd April 2012, 05:42   #802
Team-BHP Support

I stopped using device's in-built drive. I bought a 2000/- DVD write (USB based) and it has never failed me!
Old 5th April 2012, 19:37   #803
BHPian

If you already didn't know, there is a security hole found for Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion. Apple has released a patch for the same. Go to Software Update to apply the patch.

See more details about the trojan Flashback here - Dr.Web® -

EDIT - Mac Flashback Trojan: Find Out If You’re One of the 600,000 Infected:
Mac Flashback Trojan: Find Out If You're One of the 600,000 Infected

Last edited by Gandhi : 5th April 2012 at 19:56.
Old 6th April 2012, 00:40   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
I am a man with apple gadgets. I mac, Mac Book pro and Iphone. I am so happy with all the three. For some of my works I need Sun Java and internet explorer. Any how I manage some work with Safari,with Fn,F1 or F2 keys.But for some works it is not at all possible. IE is a must for me. My O S is MAc OS X10 and Snow Lion. In case, if I install a windows7 as additional OS, will it be possible to use Internet explorer ?
I don't know if this will help you but

Download Internet Explorer 5.2.3 Free - Microsoft web browser for Mac OS X - Softpedia
Old 6th April 2012, 01:10   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
This seems like the best solution (for free):
Internet Explorer for Mac the Easy Way: Run IE 7, IE8, & IE9 Free in a Virtual Machine
Old 6th April 2012, 09:53   #806
Senior - BHPian

Mac is accepting the internet explorer 5.2.3. But this version is not useful for all the applications I use. I tried with this version and failed.Especially it does not work with the applet sited. Ie 7.8 and 9 is a good idea for free. But on going through the method of installation it seems bit difficult for an ordinary user like me. Any how thinking of trying once in peaceful mood.
Old 20th April 2012, 00:24   #807
BHPian

Anyone knows where in Pune I can buy the cheapest and best memory upgrade (8 GB RAM) for my late 2011 macbook Pro i5 13 inches?
Old 25th April 2012, 17:35   #808
BHPian

Ok Guys!! I have finally made up my mind!!
I am planning to go for Macbook Pro 15.

I have some questions:
1) There are 2 configurations for it.
a) 2.2 GHz, 512 MB graphics card... Cost 1,05,000
b) 2.4 Ghz, 1 GB Graphics card.. Cost 1,25,000

I somehow want the second one but the price is putting me off slightly. Anybody using these machines if they can provide insights on perfomance differences. I will not play games as I have a PS3. Only graphics heavy thing that see myself using is Photoshop. But still spending close to a Lakh rupees I would want atleast 1 GB of VRAM. I am not sure on this..

2) A new Macbook Pro is expected soon with Intel's Ivy Bridge processor. Do you foresee any price cut in the current one's?

3) Where is the best place to buy Macbook? I mean pricewise.

4) What offers can I expect?

5) How can I avail this student discount thing? I am not a student anymore.

6) Any time of year when offers are expected on Apple products?? Although I cant wait and want to buy soon but still would try to make an informed decision.

Thanks in advance..
Old 25th April 2012, 19:35   #809
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra
A new Macbook Pro is expected soon with Intel's Ivy Bridge processor. Do you foresee any price cut in the current one's?
Yes, of course. I half expected them to announce new ones yesterday.
Probably ship the new ones with Lion - end summer.
Old 25th April 2012, 22:35   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra
Ok Guys!! I have finally made up my mind!!
I am planning to go for Macbook Pro 15.
Dude, where do you plan to get it from? You could score a great deal on the outgoing models which should be phase out within a month given that Intel has announced the Ivy Bridge processors officially! But, it is possible only if you can get it from the US.

Most Viewed