Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 06:49   #916
Senior - BHPian

re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

Apple is rumoured to be changing the maps app with iOS6 which is going to be announced tomorrow. Also there should be a new iPhone in by October so if you can wait a few months it would be great.
Old 11th June 2012, 07:05   #917
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

thats nice to hear.
No worries for me - I am not in a hurry at all. My n8 is perfect just now and I see no reason to burn 50 grand on a new telephone. As of this moment its just a fad really! Apple sure knows how to make their products eminently desirable and tempting I must say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Apple is rumoured to be changing the maps app with iOS6 which is going to be announced tomorrow. Also there should be a new iPhone in by October so if you can wait a few months it would be great.
Old 11th June 2012, 07:20   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
thats nice to hear.
No worries for me - I am not in a hurry at all. My n8 is perfect just now and I see no reason to burn 50 grand on a new telephone. As of this moment its just a fad really! Apple sure knows how to make their products eminently desirable and tempting I must say!
Personally, although I like Apple's computers, iPad and iPod series, I think the iPhone is overrated. Since you can wait, google Nokia Pureview and see whether that makes more sense. It should have Windows 8, great RAM and performance, Nokia Maps - free for life, and best of all that amazing camera. Coupled with the normal Nokia durability, excellent battery backup and expected non-exorbitant cost, it should suit your needs well. I know I'm waiting for it
Old 11th June 2012, 11:55   #919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
My n8 has many countries maps loaded onto it and is absolutely brilliant.

I would greatly appreciate advice on this, given the usage and needs outlined above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM

Nokia Pureview and see whether that makes more sense. It should have Windows 8, great RAM and performance, Nokia Maps - free for life, and best of all that amazing camera.
@Shankar sir looks like we have purchased the n8 during the same time. Im still using my n8 even though i upgraded to lumia800 and galaxy note. 6months back the dealer offered me 13k as mine was in mint condition so even you are getting a fair price at 10k now. My friend was offering me more but i choose not to have business transactions between friends.

iPhone may get turn by turn or voice navigation but then the support for various countries will be limited and i dont see support for India in the near future. We dont contribute in a major way to the Apple bottomline so i guess Indian roads will figure later. I doubt if Apple has yet launched Siri with support for Indian accents.

P.s even the lumia maps are brilliant as the same technology is being used in lumia and other nokia phones. If one looks in detail we can see nokia doing much more for the customer even though nokia phones are hardly any eyecandy anymore.

Why not go in for a high end android phone sir if you want to upgrade and not sure about the iPhone. However like the ad says, "if you dont have an iPhone, you dont have an iPhone"

@VeluM the nokia pureview has already been launched sir. In case you are talking of pureview 808 it has got symbian belle. Windows phone support for the pureview technology will be a bit difficult at this time since its proprietarily symbian code and portng that would require recoding for the windows interface. I consider the pureview the natural functional upgrade to the nokia n8.
Old 11th June 2012, 23:15   #920
Senior - BHPian

Apple just announced their next generation Macbook Pro with a Retina display. It's beautiful!
Old 11th June 2012, 23:21   #921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Apple just announced their next generation Macbook Pro with a Retina display. It's beautiful!
Yes..

2880x1800: Resolution of the Next Generation MacBook Pro. The World's highest resolution notebook display.

New MacBook Air specs. Intel Ivy Bridge processors, up to 2GHz dual-core i7. 8GB memory. 512GB flash storage.

MacBook Pro has also got an update. Intel Ivy Bridge 2.7GHz turbo boosted up to 3.7GHz.

MacBook Pro prices to remain unchanged. 15-inch starts with quad-core CPU.

The Next Generation MacBook Pro is as thin as a MacBook Air and has retina display.
Old 11th June 2012, 23:33   #922
BHPian

Eagarly awaiting the price reductions on the old MBP 13 inch models. All the new MBP's announced today starts shipping today. Would that mean that the old ones gets a price reduction right tomorrow? I'm getting restless to buy the old 13 inch model with a reduced price.
Old 11th June 2012, 23:34   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power

Yes..

2880x1800: Resolution of the Next Generation MacBook Pro. The World's highest resolution notebook display.

MacBook Pro has also got an update. Intel Ivy Bridge 2.7GHz turbo boosted up to 3.7GHz.

The Next Generation MacBook Pro is as thin as a MacBook Air and has retina display.
Holy moly. Omg. Thats one hell of a display. Cant wait for the new mac books to arrive in India. And the pricing is the cherry on top.
This is crazy. And i like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
Eagarly awaiting the price reductions on the old MBP 13 inch models. All the new MBP's announced today starts shipping today. Would that mean that the old ones gets a price reduction right tomorrow? I'm getting restless to buy the old 13 inch model with a reduced price.
You can try for an education discount. The higher end 15" model has 200$ discount and so does the 17". The 13" models have 100$ dicsount. Then why opt for the old one? And if you really are crazy about discount try to get the display pieces of the earlier model i guess. Im sure they will be priced a lot cheaper but im not sure if you should go ahead with that.
India will still take sometime to sell the new MBPs i guess. Anyhow with the disount im planning to get the 15" new ones. Is there any possibility of newer iMacs? ?

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 11th June 2012 at 23:44.
Old 12th June 2012, 00:50   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
Or try getting something from the Apple refurbished store if you want to save some dough. They carry the same one year warranty and everything. I don't know where you are located but I don't think India has access to the Apple store. Infact I don't know why Apple seems to be ignoring India so much.
Old 12th June 2012, 00:52   #925
Senior - BHPian

Also Mountain Lion coming in at $20. That is a really good price for an OS upgrade.
Old 12th June 2012, 01:24   #926
BHPian

Everything that was released today was just pure amazing. Apple didnt announce the MBP 17 most probably as it would be too much of pixels to handle on the 17" retina display.

Now the MBPs look even more appealing and thinner than the ultrabooks launched at Computex. And im not talking about the Macbook Airs. Even the Air got a faster upgrade. And USB 3.0 ports all around.

The way Apple truly crams in every small thing into that 13in or 15in chassis is remarkable.

Also it seems the prices on the MBA and MBP have reduced by 100$. However i doubt if those price reductions are going to reflect also in India. This im speaking from last years experience that when Apple reduced the price of their entire iPhone lineup, Indian prices of iPhone 4 and 4s went upwards.

This is not Apples fault per se but is the fault of the Indian franchisees. If Apple had more say in the Indian Market the Apple products would be available for even the basic of consumers. After all thats what globally Apple is trying to do, to get an Apple computer or device into as many homes as possible.

Anyhow, i just hope they allow education discounts in India for the newer Macs. Already am checking out the newer macs on the US website. Wish they had launched the iMac now itself.

Probably that will see a launch in the fall along with other iDevices. And guaranteed to be an iPhone launch this fall. Time to shop some eye candy.

Cheers!!

Edit: the price reduction is applicable only on the previous generation of the Macbook Pro models without retina display.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 12th June 2012 at 01:26.
Old 12th June 2012, 01:39   #927
BHPian

The Apple store does not list the old Mac Book Pro 13 inch models. Does it mean that it is not anymore available for purchase? It looks a bit confusing? The shops here still have them listed in their catalog and the price is still the same that they had since last week. But there is no mention about the old models in the Apple store.
Old 12th June 2012, 02:56   #928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980
The Apple store does not list the old Mac Book Pro 13 inch models. Does it mean that it is not anymore available for purchase? It looks a bit confusing? The shops here still have them listed in their catalog and the price is still the same that they had since last week. But there is no mention about the old models in the Apple store.
The old models have been upgraded without the retina display. Only 15in models have the retina display and flashdrives. Rest all is the same. Only benefit of opting for the slim MBP is the retina display. Seriously i feel 512gb is quite less for this day and age. The non retina display aka the fatter MBPs have traditional HDDs but no retina display. Dilemma really. I would want both the hdd and retina display together. Seemingly not possible.
Old 12th June 2012, 07:28   #929
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Parthasarathig & velum

I totally agree. If it is not an iPhone then it is not an Iphone.
I know nothing about Android and frankly havent bothered to find out much so far.
However, I won a Lumia at a tournament and promptly force upgraded my wife to it. Another close friend uses a Lumia and speaks very highly of it.
From my perspective I love my N8 on account of the camera, the voice guided turn by turn navigation capability, free for life maps and the overall everything else in it so far as my use is concerned. Am not dying to upgrade or anything. Just totally enamoured by the iPhone' s beauty and desirable-ness!
Shall wait and watch a bit - better to spend that money towards a Macbook Pro rather than the iPhone!
Old 12th June 2012, 08:48   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen_Power View Post
The MBP prices have changed. Its starting from $2200 to $2800 for 15". No 13" and 17" MBPs (with Retina displays) :(

The price tag is quite hefty for that display.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 12th June 2012 at 08:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks