Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2019, 18:25   #2401
BANNED

Re: iBhp - Think Different (Team-BHPians on a Mac)

I want to download images from a messenger, message. How do I go about it on my Mac.

Also, now whenever I fire up the Mac an old pdf image shows up. How do I stop it from coming up. It is an annoyance, but ...
Old 29th April 2019, 14:10   #2402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I want to download images from a messenger, message. How do I go about it on my Mac.
Have you tried doing it from Messages app?

Quote:
Also, now whenever I fire up the Mac an old pdf image shows up. How do I stop it from coming up. It is an annoyance, but ...
What do you mean by old pdf image?
If its an old PDF, quit the preview app and then restart.
If its an image, then just try changing the wallpaper.
Old 9th May 2019, 00:41   #2403
BANNED

I'm looking to sell my macbook Pro 13" touchbar with 3.1/8gb/512gb, used barely for a week, apart from that it has spent all time in the box sitting idle (1year or so) do checkout my classified if anyone is interested, Thanks!

Last edited by unknown : 9th May 2019 at 00:44.
Old 9th May 2019, 09:14   #2404
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil2307 View Post
Sorry, did not work. It is the last page of an old pdf image. I had done some scanning on a different deskjet earlier. So the last page shows up everytime I startup the Mac
Old 9th May 2019, 10:19   #2405
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, did not work. It is the last page of an old pdf image. I had done some scanning on a different deskjet earlier. So the last page shows up everytime I startup the Mac
Whenever you log out or shut down, there usually is a popup window asking of you want to reopen all windows from last session when you log in again. Deselect that option, logout to shut down, start up or login again and se if that image still shows up.

Cheers
Old 9th May 2019, 11:43   #2406
BANNED

@tilt; the option has been deselected all this while. So must need some other trick.
Old 10th May 2019, 11:05   #2407
BHPian

Quote:
@tilt; the option has been deselected all this while. So must need some other trick.
Would it be possible for you to shoot and upload a video if what exactly is happening? I am not really clear on the exact nature of the issue and how it manifests itself.

Thanks and cheers
Old 14th May 2019, 18:31   #2408
BANNED

Just upgraded mr Mac to Mojave 10.14.15. About 2,6GB went smoothly. Let me see if things have improved or changed much.

My problem of one page of a scanned file persisting is still unsolved.
Old 15th May 2019, 11:48   #2409
BHPian

Quote:
Just upgraded mr Mac to Mojave 10.14.15. About 2,6GB went smoothly. Let me see if things have improved or changed much.

I have a peculiar problem in my Mac book Pro purchased in 2016.
On updation of OS earlier from Sierra to High Sierra and now to Mojave, the battery runs down in a few hrs when on stand by . Battery is not depleted when completely powered off. I cant understand the reason.
During the first time, had taken it to the service center(still in warranty) who restored the OS and said this was the only solution. Now with Mojave, just power it off every time.
Does anyone have a solution to this.
Old 15th May 2019, 14:59   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Just upgraded mr Mac to Mojave 10.14.15. About 2,6GB went smoothly.
When i check on my iMac it shows that my OS software is up to date at Mojave 10.14.4? Where did 10.14.15 come from?
Old 15th May 2019, 15:12   #2411
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
When i check on my iMac it shows that my OS software is up to date at Mojave 10.14.4? Where did 10.14.15 come from?
Hope you are checking via app store. Although the preferences pane is supposed to show you OS updates but sometimes you have to go through the old app store route and then check the preferences pane. And it was released during wee hours of yesterday.
Old 15th May 2019, 15:35   #2412
BANNED

Quote:
Just upgraded mr Mac to Mojave 10.14.15. About 2,6GB went smoothly.
Sorry. It is 10.14.5 and not .15. Yes, you have to get it through the App Store and not
directly though 'Upgrade'. I think the same has been going on for the past two or three versions.
Old 15th May 2019, 19:07   #2413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Hope you are checking via app store.
Thank you. Shall do that. But do not understand the logic behind not showing up directly in settings. Maybe it would after some days?

Quote:
Sorry. It is 10.14.5 and not .15.
Thought as much. Thanks.

There is one issue which is quite troublesome. When i work on the Mac, after waking it from 'sleep' mode, it takes a few minutes for Chrome to get connected to the internet. In the meanwhile, i get the error:ERR_INTERNET_DISCONNECTED. While this is not a critical issue, it is a bother. I gave some hacks available on the net a try, but doesn't seem to fix it.
Old 18th May 2019, 05:41   #2414
BHPian

Quote:
Also, now whenever I fire up the Mac an old pdf image shows up. How do I stop it from coming up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil2307 View Post
Quote:
Sorry, did not work. It is the last page of an old pdf image.
I had done some scanning on a different deskjet earlier.
So the last page shows up everytime I startup the Mac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Whenever you log out or shut down, there usually is a popup window asking of you want to reopen all windows from last session when you log in again.
Deselect that option, logout to shut down, start up or login again and se if that image still shows up.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Would it be possible for you to shoot and upload a video if what exactly is happening?
I am not really clear on the exact nature of the issue and how it manifests itself.
Quote:
Here's another shot in the dark, sometimes applications install themselves as 'StartUp Items', Adobe for example, is well known for this (& you thought this was a Windows-only problem ).

To check for these, go to 'System Preferences', then on to 'Users', then on the left-pane, choose the Mac OS ID you're logged in as, & on the right panel, click on 'Login Items'.

You should see a list of applications that are started up automatically when you log-in, if it's present, delete the application that opens up that annoying PDF.

In any case, there's insufficient information to 'debug' this issue, if not a video, perhaps a screenshot would help since it is necessary to figure out which application is responsible.
Old 18th May 2019, 09:27   #2415
Team-BHP Support

I need to replace my 2011 Macbook Pro soon. It's working fine with 8GB RAM + 500GB SSD upgrade for 4 years but I think closing in on 9 years, it needs to be changed soon before it dies on it's own.

Now I'm not really sure what to get between a new MAcbook Pro or MAc mini fully kitted out. I'm looking at 16GB RAM+512GBSSD for any of the 3 above.

The problem is the MAcbook Pro with 16GB+512GB SSD is the cost. It's close to 1.6 lakhs even if I get it from Singapore when on business trip for the 13 inch.

The Mac mini with 16GBRAM can even be upgraded to 32GB in future and 512GB SSD with 7 USB ports including regular USB+USB-C + HDMI port is 1 lakh.

I got a 10.5 inch iPad Pro for mobility which I use when travelling and ever since then my old 2011 MAcbook Pro hasn't left my work desk at home. It's always connected to a monitor as well.

The more and more I think about the Mac mini makes a lot of sense but I'm not sure if I should sacrifice the mobility. The MAc mini will easily outlast the macbook pro as well since no battery issues after 4-5 years and doesn't have the a keyboard which is infamous even in the new Macbook's for failing.

So MAcbook Pro or just get the Mini?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks