Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2009, 19:51   #16
Senior - BHPian

Your TV used to be able to recognize and work with PAL60 and NTSC and now it can't. Just dig out the TV's manual and find the section where it says which TV formats are supported.

I've seen this happen with my old Sony VCR. It used to be able to play all of the NTSC variants and one fine day it stopped recognizing all NTSC tapes (no color, no sound and a bit of noise). Sony said they had to replace the entire board and quoted something like INR 40K (It was a top of the line Sony kit, brought down from Japan in the 90s). Fast forward five years - I was in college and I narrowed it down to a single capacitor that triggered the detection and fixed the problem at a cost of 50 paise.

If your TV used to recognize the format and now it doesn't, it's the TV's fault and can be diagnosed and repaired. Although I do fear that TVs these days are far more integrated and you may be out of luck if it's a minor problem in something major.
Old 23rd August 2009, 20:03   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Your TV used to be able to recognize and work with PAL60 and NTSC and now it can't.
Yup.

Quote:
Just dig out the TV's manual and find the section where it says which TV formats are supported.
Unfortunately, I can't find the manual.

Quote:
I've seen this happen with my old Sony VCR. It used to be able to play all of the NTSC variants and one fine day it stopped recognizing all NTSC tapes (no color, no sound and a bit of noise). Sony said they had to replace the entire board and quoted something like INR 40K (It was a top of the line Sony kit, brought down from Japan in the 90s). Fast forward five years - I was in college and I narrowed it down to a single capacitor that triggered the detection and fixed the problem at a cost of 50 paise.
I was wondering if there is any external converter I can put between
my DVD player & my TV which will take either PAL60 or NTSC signals &
convert them into PAL.

Quote:
If your TV used to recognize the format and now it doesn't, it's the TV's fault and can be diagnosed and repaired. Although I do fear that TVs these days are far more integrated and you may be out of luck if it's a minor problem in something major.
Yes, that's what I am worried about. The LG mechanic didn't know
anything about this & he said I have to send the TV to his service
center to figure this out. I don't want to give off the TV for a few weeks
and then be quoted a huge sum for the repair.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks