Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2020, 09:55   #1981
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Guys, need help

My main wifi router is on the first floor where it is connected to my computer. It's a 200Mbps fibre connection.

Now i get good range till the living room on the ground floor. But beyond that it's just dust in the wind...

Now i guess not all Mesh routers have a gigabit ethernet port to handle my main internet speeds.

What would be a good model to buy? 2 or 3 mesh.
Old 22nd August 2020, 10:40   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Now i guess not all Mesh routers have a gigabit ethernet port to handle my main internet speeds.

Check out triband mesh routers from Netgear and Linksys. Depending on your house a 2 mesh could work. Check Netgear Orbi
RBK30.

With a dedicated 5ghz band for communication between the nodes, they should perform better.

If you can pull a wire, a wireless access point (TPLink EAP-225) or another router (in AP mode) would be a better option.

Last edited by suku_patel_22 : 22nd August 2020 at 10:43.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 11:44   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
For troubleshooting, reset all three routers to factory settings. Does that fix the problem ?
It worked fine till yesterday and now the problem is back
I'm so confused as to what to do. I tried to restart all the routers but my phone won't connect to the slave/ satellite router at all. It's stuck at "obtaining IP address".
Old 22nd August 2020, 15:21   #1984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
I tried to restart all the routers but my phone won't connect to the slave/ satellite router at all. It's stuck at "obtaining IP address".
Is it only your phone or other devices too? Can you check router logs?
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 15:45   #1985
BHPian

It happens with all the devices trying to connect to the slave router.

I restarted the Jio router connected to the main Deco and it seemed to solve the problem now.

I'll check the router logs if they show something. Thanks!
Old 22nd August 2020, 15:54   #1986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
I restarted the Jio router connected to the main Deco and it seemed to solve the problem now.
Which router is providing you DHCP for your intranet? It should be the main deco and not the Jio router.
Old 22nd August 2020, 16:11   #1987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Which router is providing you DHCP for your intranet? It should be the main deco and not the Jio router.
For the mesh network, main deco unit is connected to the Jio router as it was advised in the setup. It provides DHCP for the other slave routers.
Old 29th August 2020, 20:06   #1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Guys, need help

My main wifi router is on the first floor where it is connected to my computer. It's a 200Mbps fibre connection.

Now i get good range till the living room on the ground floor. But beyond that it's just dust in the wind...

You could run an Ethernet cable to the living room and attach a range extender there, you should prefer an extender from the same company as your router on the first floor,try getting a AC 1200 or AC 750 at the very least to make sure you get the speeds you are paying for.

Cheers!
Old 3rd September 2020, 19:47   #1989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Planning to buy a Reliance Jio hot spot/portable wireless router as a backup.

Any idea which of those models is the latest one? The Jio website lists just 3 for sale- JMR540, M2 and M2S.
Did you end up buying this, the Jio hotspot/router?

I am also looking to buy one. The idea is that I might shuffle between Bangalore and native going forward and need some portable thing. There is no wired set up at native and only Jio has range, hence inclined to Jio. Any thoughts?
Old 4th September 2020, 15:14   #1990
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Did you end up buying this, the Jio hotspot/router?
Yes I did, I got the Jio as primary and Airtel as a backup. The Jio worked very well while I was in a smaller town for over a month (Udupi), got reasonably decent speeds (8-10Mbps) enough for my kind of work.

A few of my friends also reported that Jio worked well in their small hometowns too. Funny thing, now that I'm back in Bangalore, I have a wired connection, but just log in to the Jio hotspot connection to check and the Jio speeds are terrible (1mbps types!). Maybe it's just the area of Bangalore I'm in. The Airtel hotspot is showing good speeds here though.

Hot spots seem to work better in smaller towns than in densely populated parts of cities. Must be a factor of the number of users per tower?

Last edited by am1m : 4th September 2020 at 15:17.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 19:10   #1991
Senior - BHPian

Will go for it then.

A noobie question, excuse me: But what is the difference between if I put the Jio SIM in the normal phone and use it as a hotspot and putting the same SIM inside these portable modem and using it as a hotspot? How is this modem any better than phone? Anything to do with the power and transmission of the signals?
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 13:44   #1992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will go for it then.

A noobie question, excuse me: But what is the difference between if I put the Jio SIM in the normal phone and use it as a hotspot and putting the same SIM inside these portable modem and using it as a hotspot? How is this modem any better than phone? Anything to do with the power and transmission of the signals?
No difference, in fact phones performance would be better due to better hardware configuration. if you have an old phone lying around go for it.
dadu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 14:03   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
what is the difference between if I put the Jio SIM in the normal phone and use it as a hotspot and putting the same SIM inside these portable modem and using it as a hotspot? How is this modem any better than phone? Anything to do with the power and transmission of the signals?
Hi,
I have been using the Jiofi hotspot device for about a year now. It's main advantage over a cellphone hotspot that I have noticed is better range. Also not every device works well with mobile hotspots. For instance, the Amazon echo devices and baby monitor cameras that I have won't connect to a mobile hotspot. If your usage is only for casual browsing and streaming, phone hotspot is good enough I think.

PS. If you can spend a little more money, you can get 4G/LTE routers where you can just put in your 4G sim, set it up and use like a dual band wifi. In my experience, 4G signal reception is much better with these routers because they have external antennas and their WiFi signal reaches all around my house.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B085PFRFKX?...p_mob_ap_share
This is what I am using now with my Jio 4g sim.
Hope this helps

Last edited by Night Raven : 5th September 2020 at 14:22.
Night Raven is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2020, 11:23   #1994
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
No difference, in fact phones performance would be better due to better hardware configuration. if you have an old phone lying around go for it.
Thanks!

I was about to buy Jiofi/supernet hot spot couple of days back then I saw this post. I had a spare phone and 4G sim (vodafone) and currently using this as a hot spot. It temporarily solved the problem and speed is ~ 2.5 Mbps.

Does buying a separate Jiofi/supernet hot spot help in anyway? especially signal reception/speed?

Last edited by Latheesh : 7th September 2020 at 11:33.
Old 7th September 2020, 20:01   #1995
BHPian

I bought one of these tiny router UPSs from Zinq technologies via Amazon. It looks exactly like the resonate one. On using it with my fiber modem which is 12V, 2A just as per the specification of the UPS, I have discovered a strange situation. If I manually turn off the power at the switch or by pulling out the power connector, the UPS holds the modem fine. I even tried it for ten minutes. However during an actual power failure, the UPS doesn’t retain power to the modem. I simulated a power failure by shutting the circuit breaker as well with the same result. I wonder what could be the reason? Could it be that the current flows back towards the adapter?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks