Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2022, 20:30   #2581
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
I've attached a diagram of my apartment.
Maybe consider a location where the signal has a lesser diagnal distance across walls. Further:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
It looks like more of congestion in the 2.4GHz band. This could be the reason for disconnection as the signals go weaker. I use an app called WIFIAnalyzer (Android) to view the channel spread of the APs and their relative strengths. It gives a channel rating for a given environment.
Long back when I had issues, the abovementioned method was used to change from auto-channel to a low use channel. It sorted out the low speed and similar issues (don't remember the details of the issues; been years).
Poitive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 10:18   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I've attached a diagram of my apartment. The router is placed at R. Can't move it any further away. The client is at the master bedroom ( MBR). There are 3 concrete walls in between ( kitchen+toliet) and wooden wardrobes etc causing the problem. The extender is at E.
Maybe get an Asus mesh setup? Two devices would set you back by 8k or so. Since you seem to have line of sight between your modem placement and where you have plugged in your extender the mesh should serve you well.

This one:
https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-RT-AC59U-...dp/B089MQXDJM/

It is app based and setting it up is a breeze. See if this might be a solution for you.
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 12:21   #2583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The router is placed at R. C....The extender is at E. The signal strength of the extender is good but the problem is reliability.

I've used a TP link 855RE and now a Mi router as an extender. Both have been problematic but the Mi is a little better.
Placement of router / extender looks good.
  • Line of sight between router / extender
  • No wall between extender and MBR
  • Potentially : Microwave in Kitchen might be interfering with 2.4 GHz band
  • Potentially : Bluetooth might also be interfering with 2.4 GHz

To rule out these potential issues, you can look at Android / Windows / iOS / Mac tools that scan all WiFi channels and let you know about health of channels at that point of time.

Most probably this is just due to cheap hardware used in low-end routers / extenders. Couple of options :

Quote:
I thought of using a 5G extender but my router doesn't allow channel selection. Most extenders work on specified channels ( Eg TP links won't work on band 4 as per this post )
This should not be an issue in your situation. Since both Extender and Router, both have been purchased in India. So, their "regdb" data will be common. This data governs which channels are allowed for a given country.

Does Mi router supports 5G, this might be easy to validate if it does.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 10th August 2022 at 12:23.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:07   #2584
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
If the router has stronger radio, then won't it send the signal further away - i.e. it will reach the other room strongly, so even if the laptop has a weak radio it would be able to better pick up the signal than it did earlier with the weaker router.
Router will certainly be able to send signals farther away. This will not solve the problem though.

Very simplified explanation :

When radio signal is sent from client to router, it might be so weak that router will not be able to distinguish the signal form the noise.

So, if use is browsing t-bhp, router will be able to send the web page to client; but client will not be able to send the "Acknowledge" signal. Router will wait for a while and then reset the connection.
Old 10th August 2022, 13:33   #2585
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I thought of using a 5G extender but my router doesn't allow channel selection.
Your setup should work, I have a more complex setup with the router and extender separated by a floor too but it still works.

I used to have a JioFi + Edimax router and it used to work majority of the times but the Edimax did show some of the symptoms like you mentioned and speed was low but workable.
While the same Edimax extender used to work fine in a similar setup as yours earlier but the difference was that the extender was connected to the router via a LAN cable.
If possible try using the extender with a LAN cable connected to the router.

OT :
Post the issues I had with WiFi I moved to JioFiber+JioExtender setup at the same location and the WiFi was seamless and quite fast.
JioExtender support is bad. Since the last 1.5-2 years everything with JioFiber was at my doorstep but for the JioExtender I have to run to their service center where it's being given a cold shoulder. I get a sense that they aren't very well versed with the usage of the product as well.

Last edited by shancz : 10th August 2022 at 13:34. Reason: typos
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 13:55   #2586
BHPian

Quote:
I've attached a diagram of my apartment. The router is placed at R. Can't move it any further away. The client is at the master bedroom ( MBR). There are 3 concrete walls in between ( kitchen+toliet) and wooden wardrobes etc causing the problem. The extender is at E. The signal strength of the extender is good but the problem is reliability. Sometimes the connection to the extender just doesn't work - the signal strength is full but there's no internet connection. I then restart the extender or wait for a few minutes for it to work again.
There have been multiple suggestions on the repeater part all of them very valid.

In addition, following can checks be done on your laptop
a) check if you get encounter any drops when you use the laptop in
the room where the router is placed AND in the second bedroom. If yes, then the issue probably is with the laptop. if no connection loss, then perhaps you have some interference originating from the kitchen. [Adjusting the channels/ placing the extender in a different loction might help]

b) if you are a windows box try running "netsh wlan show wlanreport" in a cmd window and check the results in "C:/ProgramData/Microsoft/Windows/WlanReport/wlan-report-latest.html" this will have some details of why the connection was dropped.
whitewing is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 11:43   #2587
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used Airtel's mesh router system - their "coverage plus" plan ? The rental is 99/- per month with a deposit of 1000/- per POD, which looks quite reasonable compared to the price of mesh systems available in the market.

https://www.airtel.in/wifi-coverage-plus

https://www.airtel.in/wifi-coverage-plus/faqs
Old 17th August 2022, 12:02   #2588
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

I am currently doing the interiors for my new apartment.

The internet connection has been provided by the builder in one corner of the drawing room, which is not an ideal location.

Hence, I am planning to shift the socket towards the center of the apartment so that the coverage is uniform in all rooms.

I am planning to place the wifi router on the kitchen tall unit, which will also host the microwave oven and OTG. The refrigerator will also be kept next to this tall unit.

Is it advisable to keep the wifi router in close proximity of such kitchen appliances ? I am especially concerned about any interference from the microwave oven. (We would be using the microwave oven and OTG less frequently, but refrigerator is always kept on for obvious reasons)

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2022, 22:16   #2589
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Hence, I am planning to shift the socket towards the center of the apartment so that the coverage is uniform in all rooms.

I am planning to place the wifi... I am especially concerned about any interference from the microwave oven.
Difficult to say, number of variables is too high (Layout of room, Pattern of Walls, Beams).

Best way is to just power on the router in that location and measure WiFi signals with phone across the apartment.

Since this only requires power, should be easy to test (before drawing network cables etc).
Old 17th August 2022, 22:38   #2590
BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
I am planning to place the wifi router on the kitchen tall unit, which will also host the microwave oven and OTG. The refrigerator will also be kept next to this tall unit.
Placing at a central location may help, However, signal still drops if there is a wall/ concrete in the lone of sight.. So rather than placing on then tall unit, you may want to mount it on a location of wall (or even low ceiling) at a location that has minimal wall/ concrete barrier.
ajayc123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 09:15   #2591
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am planning to shift the socket towards the center of the apartment so that the coverage is uniform in all rooms.
Usually this will involve piping else the bare cable will look bad. It's a new apartment so I will simply buy something like this

https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-AC1200...s%2C198&sr=8-5
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 09:52   #2592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Usually this will involve piping else the bare cable will look bad. It's a new apartment so I will simply buy something like this

https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-AC1200...s%2C198&sr=8-5
@Turbanator, definitely a mesh is better and future-proof but I'd recommend avoiding the Deco E4. Despite it's headline 'top speeds', the E4 ethernet ports are limited to 100 Mbps. Even if ultra-high speed broadband is connected, the real speeds will never cross this ceiling:
https://community.tp-link.com/en/hom...m/topic/187136

Only if the Deco E4 is connected wirelessly as a slave/satellite to a more powerful Deco hub will it be able to achieve the advertised wireless speeds.

On the budget range, I'd suggest the Deco M4 range instead; even a 2-pack will do in my opinion:
https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-M4-AC1...07L45LZP5&th=1

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th August 2022 at 09:56.
itwasntme is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 09:56   #2593
BHPian

Yes, that's a good option, if there's no possibility of wiring inside the wall. I recollect my friend had laid out ethernet cables via electric ducts to distribute internet over multiple floors in his multistorey house.
Old 18th August 2022, 10:18   #2594
Team-BHP Support

Many of the mesh routing solutions also support Wireline backhauls. What you need is an ethernet port from your planned source location to the destinations. Even without a backhaul, mesh is awesome. Invest in a good Netgear Orbi or Google Wifi. Pricey yes, but they usually stand the test of time.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:22   #2595
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the responses.

I have asked my interior designer to shift several electrical sockets, based on our interior design. As a part of this, I am also getting the broadband point shifted to a more centralized location. So it is not too much of a hassle for me at this point of time.

Actually, my main concern is regarding interference from the kitchen appliances, especially microwave oven. Can someone throw some light on this aspect ?

Thanks in advance.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks