Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2023, 11:13   #2641
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

I have a local fiber-based net connection. I am looking to buy a new router. The current one is the one given by the provider.

Can someone please suggest which will be a good Wifi router to purchase?
I see a PON port to which the connection is made. I don't see such a port for a few TP-Link modems I searched.

On Wi-Fi & Routers-20230320_094408.jpg
Old 20th March 2023, 17:20   #2642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
The current one is the one given by the provider.
Leave this in place.

Purchase any new router and connect it via LAN cable to this router.

Fibre Cable --> Existing Router --> LAN Cable --> WAN Port in New Router --> WiFi Devices
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 19:06   #2643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Leave this in place.

Fibre Cable --> Existing Router --> LAN Cable --> WAN Port in New Router --> WiFi Devices
Will the performance of the existing router be a bottleneck in this setup? Or due to Lan cable, it may not matter?
Old 20th March 2023, 20:11   #2644
BHPian

Quote:
Will the performance of the existing router be a bottleneck in this setup? Or due to Lan cable, it may not matter?
Yes, due to LAN cable it would not matter but please ensure you buy a new router with gigabit ports.
shipnil is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 20:25   #2645
Senior - BHPian

I am using a Nokia G-2425G-A Fibre WiFi router on the TATA Play broadband.

I need to access my router from outside the network, on some occasions. The requirement is to access the GPON home gateway URL (http://192.168.1.254/ ) so that I can modify some router settings, while I am at a remote location (Not connected to home network).

I was searching on internet and the only solution seem to enable "Remote Access" and possibly DDNS.

I tried to search for Remote Access option in the router settings but its not present.

I tried to use DDNS but I guess it doesn't work without Remote access option either.

Is ther any other alternative ?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Yes, due to LAN cable it would not matter but please ensure you buy a new router with gigabit ports.
Actually the performance does impact depending upon wether the lan cable is Cat5 or Cat5e/cat6.

I have done exactly same, i.e. connect the Fibre router provided by TATA to self purchased TP Link router (in another room to extend the range). But the wiring is concealed wiring inside the walls already done by builder and its difficult to change without opening walls. Unfortunately its Cat5 cable and I only get around 100 Mbps max speed (doesn't matter its 5.0 ghz or 2.4 ghz) from the Access point created on the TP Link router. But then, its ok for me.

One drawback of this approach is it will create 4 wireless access points (WiFi networks) in your home - 2 on the Fibre router and 2 on the Extender (TP Link). Not sure if disabling all wireless networks in Fibre router will disable the extender access point as well.

Last edited by DCEite : 20th March 2023 at 20:31.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 22:13   #2646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
due to Lan cable, it may not matter?
It does not matter (technically, each router will add ~1 ms delay). On the other hand, big advantage is support.

When there is an issue, technician will not be able to blame your router. You can show that net is working (or not) with existing router that is provided by them.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2023, 22:36   #2647
Senior - BHPian

I just wanted to post my experience with openwrt.
I was running a tp link a6v3 and a few re305v3 in onemesh and was not happy.. dropped connections, hard time getting ip from dhcp etc

I "upgraded" to a bunch of iball mesh routers that were clones of the tenda mw3. Still not much improvement

The tp links were sitting idle and i figured I'd try openwrt on them, having nothing to lose one weekend. There is definitely a learning curve to flashing, configuring etc. It took me the better part of a day, but my connections and range are rock solid. A significant improvement over both earlier setups
Old 21st March 2023, 15:00   #2648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I just wanted to post my experience with openwrt.
I was running a tp link a6v3 and a few re305v3 in onemesh and was not happy.. dropped connections, hard time getting ip from dhcp etc

I "upgraded" to a bunch of iball mesh routers that were clones of the tenda mw3. Still not much improvement

The tp links were sitting idle and i figured I'd try openwrt on them, having nothing to lose one weekend. There is definitely a learning curve to flashing, configuring etc. It took me the better part of a day, but my connections and range are rock solid. A significant improvement over both earlier setups
Openwrt is best if your router supports it.

Now that you have it running, you can try running on your router:

Nextdns for dns ad blocking
Fast roaming on your openwrt routers. One SSID each for 2.4 GHz and 5ghz.
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 22:17   #2649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I need to access my router from outside the network, on some occasions. The requirement is to access the GPON home gateway URL (http://192.168.1.254/ ) so that I can modify some router settings, while I am at a remote location (Not connected to home network).

Is ther any other alternative ?

Nowadays most ISPs do not provide a public IP address which would be necessary to access the device from a remote location. Furthermore, exposing these devices directly to the internet is not recommended anyway due to security concerns.

Another alternative is to use something like Tailscale or ZeroTier. You will need a device in your local network with the client software installed and running for this to work though. More details here.

I personally have the Tailscale / ZeroTier client installed on my router which runs a more customisable operating system, so there is no need for another device to run the client. I can access my entire home network from anywhere in the world just like I am sitting at home in a very secure manner.
varkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 03:55   #2650
BHPian

Quote:
I have a local fiber-based net connection. I am looking to buy a new router. The current one is the one given by the provider.

Can someone please suggest which will be a good Wifi router to purchase?
I see a PON port to which the connection is made. I don't see such a port for a few TP-Link modems I searched.

Attachment 2430905
What is the main reason you want to upgrade? Are you unhappy with the PON side of it, or the Wifi capabilities?
Does your current router have 802.11AX/Wifi6? If you want a general upgrade- TPlink India sells couple PON - Wifi routers that may match your requirements - xx230v and xc220v

If you are only unhappy with Wifi capability, get a standalone AX Wifi router and connect it to the ethernet port of the existing PON router. If you want better Wifi coverage, you can hook up a Wifi mesh router, and hook it to the ethernet/LAN port of your existing PON modem. The advantage of this method is that if you move to a different service provider who uses a different PON modem or needs a Cable/DSL modem, you can use the same Wifi router.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 11:11   #2651
BHPian

Good day to everyone!

I am looking for a WiFi router for my office therefore need help from the good folks here.

A decently priced router (300mbps is fine). My main requirement is a Guest Mode with Bandwidth Control, since I want to keep a secondary access point for visitors with a limited Bandwidth for them.

Please advice a model having this feature, my preferred brands are tenda, tp-link although i am open to other brands if they are reliable.

Thanks.
Old 27th March 2023, 11:21   #2652
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to in house tech expert & fellow Mod Vid6639, got myself TP-Link Deco X20 (2-Pack) AX1800 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi System, Next-Gen WiFi 6 and now the entire house has seamless Wi-Fi connectivity. It's present everywhere and I mean everywhere, closed bedrooms / washroom , everywhere, no drop in connectivity / strength.

My electrician didn't put up LAN cable in the 2nd floor (G+2), so on terrace and at the upper hall, it's feeble somewhat, but for G+1, it's terrific, could not have asked for a better router / modem.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 11:37   #2653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Leave this in place.

Query
Has anyone tried connecting this device TP-Link CP610 Outdoor device in Access point mode ?

i.e. I do not plan to bridge 2 such devices in a P2P setup.
My requirement is to extend the current router Wifi signal to another building that is 150 meters away.

I tried other TP link Access point devices , but they cut down the speeds drastically.
i.e. the Source has a 100mbps connection, but at the destination we get around 10 - 15 mbps.

Last edited by Fillmore : 27th March 2023 at 11:44. Reason: grammar corrected
Old 27th March 2023, 14:51   #2654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
What is the main reason you want to upgrade? Are you unhappy with the PON side of it, or the Wifi capabilities?
I was having frequent disconnections that were not happening with my neighbors. I was about to get a new router but the provider has replaced the existing router for free now. Earlier he was not ready for this. So for the time being I will continue with this. I use a TP Link Extender along with this.
rajesh1868 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 20:13   #2655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
i.e. I do not plan to bridge 2 such devices in a P2P setup.
My requirement is to extend the current router Wifi signal to another building that is 150 meters away.
This is not going to work well.

This CP has very narrow beam, and is designed to work with another narrow beam antenna on the other end. From the specs : "Antenna Beamwidth 9°(Azimuth), 7°(Elevation)"

At 150 meters, two such devices are a must. Realistic speeds would be ~40 mbps, unless CPEs are in near-perfect alignment.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed