Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2012, 22:30   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Hi guys,i was using a DLink wi-fi modem and all was well for last 2 months.Since yesterday morning,there is some problem and the net is not connecting.The internet indicator is not switching on.What could be the problem?The phone is working fine.
Old 1st January 2012, 23:10   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont se erange extenders (wifi repeaters) being listed in any online or store catalogs.
Are they difficult to procure? Can some one point as to where I buy one in Bangalore?
It is available at Flipkart

Flipkart: Cisco Linksys N Series Range Extender: Router

-- Wind
Old 2nd January 2012, 06:13   #288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind View Post
It is available at Flipkart
Thanks Wind (And sorry I did not update). I bought it at Computer ware house. Its worth a product. Though its a bit expensive, but for the comfort it provides,
I was amazed. It just lies innocently in one corner on one of the walls and provides no dead-zones!

I also has a very easy configuration and set-up.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:20   #289
BHPian

Wow, thats expensive, cant we just use a normal 1.2-2k wifi router and set it up as a repeater?
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:35   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
... there is some problem and the net is not connecting.The internet indicator is not switching on. ...
1. Check the splitter on the incoming line for loose connection (careful, don't swap cables to the phone and the ADSL ports)
2. Log on to the D-link box admin page (you can access via browser usually at http://192.168.0.1 or 1.1) as admin. The current status should show up on the status page
3. Check the log. If the log shows repeated connection and disconnection, call your telephone exchange and tell them your ADSL is down at the Exchange end as the phone is OK
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:14   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Wow, thats expensive, cant we just use a normal 1.2-2k wifi router and set it up as a repeater?
Not all routers can be set up as repeaters. If you do some research and get a model which supports, then it is the best solution.
Old 2nd January 2012, 12:54   #292
Senior - BHPian

Adding to what Jaguar has said, not all routers can be setup as wireless repeaters. Some routers have the repeater function but for that to work it will need a wired connection from the main router which it will be repeating. Hence comes in the need for wireless range extenders which are basically dedicated wireless repeaters.
Old 16th February 2012, 17:27   #293
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a Airtel broadband connection in my office with a Beetel Wifi modem.

Sometimes the wifi just works fine while sometimes my phone shows "limited connectivity" & does not work. Any idea why this is happening?

Last edited by raj_5004 : 16th February 2012 at 17:29.
Old 16th February 2012, 18:12   #294
BHPian

I have an bsnl terracom wifi modem which is connected in the ground floor to a desktop.It works perfectly fine but when I am using my laptop or mobile in the second floor the connection is intermittent and the speed is pretty slow .

I also have a spare netgear router.Is it possible that the netgear modem if kept in the first floor receive wifi signal from the modem in the ground floor and transmit it to the second floor.

I am do not have much idea regarding computers so kindly excuse if it's a silly question.
Old 16th February 2012, 19:17   #295
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Not all routers can be set up as repeaters. If you do some research and get a model which supports, then it is the best solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Adding to what Jaguar has said, not all routers can be setup as wireless repeaters. Some routers have the repeater function but for that to work it will need a wired connection from the main router which it will be repeating. Hence comes in the need for wireless range extenders which are basically dedicated wireless repeaters.
Sorry guys, I did not see this thread. Hence could not respond earlier.

@mav2000, as @Jag and @vikram mentioned, its difficult to install a wireless modem as
a repeater. The reason is that we need to place in a place, where you find weak signal and throws it forward after bolstering it.

From that point of view, its very good. I could place it along a wall in a corner without bothering about it needing a wired input. That is a big big positive for this product.

Yes it is expensive, but to me its worth the price for the comfort feature it provides.
Old 10th March 2012, 21:13   #296
BHPian

I have bsnl broadband and dlink modem. I want to install Netgear 2200 wifi router with USB port for streaming video etc to tv (i m planning Pana U30 model.) and to use wifi of my android. Has anybody used such router?
Price 4300 Rupees at Lamington road, mumbai.
Can I use the same wifi router for ethernet based broadband, if I discontinue bsnl.
Old 12th March 2012, 15:43   #297
Senior - BHPian

Wi-Fi router for ACT Broadband

I am looking for a wireless device so that I can hook up my mobile, tablet et al to my existing broadband connection.

Now, my quandry is this - I have an ACT broadband connection - where the fiber optic cable is directly connected to the ethernet port on my desktop at home. There is no intervening modem at my home. So, when I switch on my desktop, I have to open up the ACT portal page and then manually log in. Once that is successful, I am connected to the internet.

Now my question is this - can I use a "normal" Wi-Fi router like the Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router? The dealer is also not too sure of what router I can use. I am only asking this since some people say I will need a modem too. But IIRC, the modem is used to connect the phone line or ADSL line to the machine. But there is surely a device already doing this for my ACT broadband connection - I get an ip address etc when I login to their portal. So isn't just a Wi-Fi router enough?

Any ideas?
Old 12th March 2012, 15:53   #298
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wi-Fi router for ACT Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I am looking for a wireless device so that I can hook up my mobile, tablet et al to my existing broadband connection.

Any ideas?
Modem is used for analog to digital conversion. Since you have a fibre connection, your PC is receiving a digital signal directly. Hence modem is not required.

You need a wifi USB dongle/adaptor for sharing your broadband over wifi. This would be even cheaper than a wifi router.

The only downside is that your PC would always have to remain powered up even if you are accessing the broadband from some other device.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2012, 16:23   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Modem is used for analog to digital conversion. Since you have a fibre connection, your PC is receiving a digital signal directly. Hence modem is not required.

You need a wifi USB dongle/adaptor for sharing your broadband over wifi. This would be even cheaper than a wifi router.

The only downside is that your PC would always have to remain powered up even if you are accessing the broadband from some other device.

Rohan
Great! Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, a dongle sounds good but am planning to get the Wi-Fi router so I don't need to keep the computer on all the time. Will get the Netgear router itself.
Old 12th March 2012, 16:45   #300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Great! Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, a dongle sounds good but am planning to get the Wi-Fi router so I don't need to keep the computer on all the time. Will get the Netgear router itself.
I don't think a normal wifi router would work in your case.

How would you connect the uplink of the router to the optical link received from the ISP ?

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks