Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2012, 10:56   #346
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
The airtel technician mentioned that if I opted for their wi-fi modem, that would constrain access only to 2 devices. This was not fine with me owing to the growing number of iPhones and iPads in the house.
I too have an Airtel connection, and their router (WiFi enabled) provides a connection to my Apple Extreme Base Station WiFi router. There is absolutely no such arbitrary limit of "only 2 devices"! I have 3 computers and 2 phones running on it all the time!

For better network, I recommend you get one of the modern N (5GHz ones, not 2.4GHz) to get better range as well as avoid interference from the myriad other radio emanating devices in urban areas! I get a good enough signal in every corner of my 2BHK, and even outside it!
Old 8th April 2012, 04:25   #347
BHPian

I am looking for a Wifi modem router. Presently using Binatone which i had bought from airtel. At the time of purchase airtel had taken away the modem. Now they are not providing it back and have asked me to buy my own.

Initially had planned to go with Netgear WGR614 N150 Router. Now that i dont have a modem, i have zeroed in on these 3 below models. Which one of these would serve me the best ?
As of now, it will be used to connect a Laptop, Tablet and a Phone. Main requirement is a rock solid connection with good range.

1) D-Link DSL-2730U - Flipkart: D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ 4-Port Router: Router

2) Belkin Basic Modem - Flipkart: Belkin Basic Modem (N150) Router: Router

3) D-Link DSL-2750U - Flipkart: D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N ADSL2+ 4-Port Wi-Fi Router: Router
Old 8th April 2012, 04:35   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adroit_91 View Post
I too have an Airtel connection, and their router (WiFi enabled) provides a connection to my Apple Extreme Base Station WiFi router. There is absolutely no such arbitrary limit of "only 2 devices"! I have 3 computers and 2 phones running on it all the time!

For better network, I recommend you get one of the modern N (5GHz ones, not 2.4GHz) to get better range as well as avoid interference from the myriad other radio emanating devices in urban areas! I get a good enough signal in every corner of my 2BHK, and even outside it!
Correct me here. You've connected the Airtel wi-fi router to the Apple wifi router via an Ethernet cable. So isn't that a reason why you could still be able to connect more than 2 devices wirelessly?

I'm a newbie at this. But, from whatever reviews I've read online, the 5GHz offers 50% lesser range than at 2.4GHz. The advantage of the 5GHz band is that it's less clogged in comparison to the 2.4 where must of the devices operate in. And hence, faster (translates as throughput). But, that's only if you are at Zone A or Zone B. At Zone C, for eg, bedrooms or bathrooms, the 2.4 GHz wins mostly if not all once again depending on the walls/distance from the router itself.

This is where the dual-bands come in as a blessing. So, you're right. Getting an N with DUAL-BAND is what I need.

Narrowed down on an ASUS N56U. But, I'm hearing it has detection issues when using a Mac. Not that I'm concerned about it at this point (as I've still not convinced myself to get a Mac). But, IF AT ALL I do, I do not want to get into a situation wherein I'd have to throw the 8000bucks off the window.

Opinions?
Old 8th April 2012, 15:18   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Correct me here. You've connected the Airtel wi-fi router to the Apple wifi router via an Ethernet cable. So isn't that a reason why you could still be able to connect more than 2 devices wirelessly?
Yes, it is. Two or two hundred: it should still work.

Maybe Airtel tweaked their own wifi router to only accept two connections. Maybe this tweak is visible and could be untweaked, maybe it is not: Does anybody know about this?
Old 8th April 2012, 19:23   #350
BHPian

Quote:
So isn't that a reason why you could still be able to connect more than 2 devices wirelessly?
Nope! I definitely remember connecting 2 laptops and 1 iPhone simultaneously to my old Binatel! I think the 2-computer limit is something the technician just made up to scare you!!

Quote:
the 5GHz offers 50% lesser range than at 2.4GHz. The advantage of the 5GHz band is that it's less clogged in comparison to the 2.4 where must of the devices operate in. And hence, faster (translates as throughput). But, that's only if you are at Zone A or Zone B. At Zone C, for eg, bedrooms or bathrooms, the 2.4 GHz wins mostly if not all once again depending on the walls/distance from the router itself.
The range for 5GHz signal would be less for the same output power! But, my Apple Extreme 2011, for example, has an enhanced range, and I've never felt the need for any "higher" output at all! How big a range do you need?

Sorry, didn't understand the Zones A, B & C at all!
Old 16th April 2012, 14:12   #351
BHPian

Did anyone pick up the Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dualband + Modem from Flipkart today?

They were retailing it at Rs. 813, yes you read it right 813 bucks, as opposed to the regular price of Rs. 4625

I ordered it just for the heck of it
Old 16th April 2012, 15:07   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
I am looking for a Wifi modem router. Presently using Binatone which i had bought from airtel. At the time of purchase airtel had taken away the modem. Now they are not providing it back and have asked me to buy my own.

Initially had planned to go with Netgear WGR614 N150 Router. Now that i dont have a modem, i have zeroed in on these 3 below models. Which one of these would serve me the best ?
As of now, it will be used to connect a Laptop, Tablet and a Phone. Main requirement is a rock solid connection with good range.

1) D-Link DSL-2730U - Flipkart: D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2+ 4-Port Router: Router

2) Belkin Basic Modem - Flipkart: Belkin Basic Modem (N150) Router: Router

3) D-Link DSL-2750U - Flipkart: D-Link DSL-2750U Wireless N ADSL2+ 4-Port Wi-Fi Router: Router
Hi I was in the same boat as you and wanted to replace my Beetel 450bxi with a newer modem-cum-router to get greater range and N-band connectivity which some new devices of mine use.

I bought the D-Link DSL-2750U because for the money it gives the biggest bang for the buck. Netgear models that do the same things - 300 mbps throughput, network drive connectivity - cost almost three times as much and I didn't want to spend that kind of dough.

The 2730U is older tech and not worth it in my opinion.

If you're familiar with router configurations the D-Link shouldn't be too difficult to set up. The reason I say that is because the setup CD won't work with Airtel.

You'll need to enter the password and username (call the call center) for the airtel connection in the settings webpage (192.168.1.1) and for other settings I used this page-
D Link DSL 2730 U WiFi Modem configuration guide for BSNL / MTNL
its for the 2730u but it worked.

All in all it took me about 30 mins to set up. Netgear might be easier and have a better user interface but for three times the money it wasn't worth it.
Old 16th April 2012, 15:53   #353
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed kills View Post
Did anyone pick up the Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dualband + Modem from Flipkart today?

They were retailing it at Rs. 813, yes you read it right 813 bucks, as opposed to the regular price of Rs. 4625

I ordered it just for the heck of it
Could not locate it on flipcart. Is there any specific link you are referring to? was it a time bound deal which is not valid anymore?

After serching i am getting two models
Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual-Band N+ Modem Rs. 8460
Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual-Band N+ Rs. 4625
Old 16th April 2012, 15:59   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
Could not locate it on flipcart. Is there any specific link you are referring to? was it a time bound deal which is not valid anymore?

After serching i am getting two models
Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual-Band N+ Modem Rs. 8460
Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual-Band N+ Rs. 4625
Yeah, that offer has come to an end.

If you scroll to the bottom of this link, you'll get to see the comments of the lucky few who were able to pick it up at that price (Flipkart: Belkin N600 DB Wireless Dual-Band N+: Router)
Old 21st April 2012, 14:39   #355
BHPian

I've been using D-link for many years now, and can second the recommendation for the 2750U model. its relaible and well priced.
In fact local BSNL tech guys also recommend Dlink since in their experience they found fewer failures with it than other models.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:01   #356
BHPian

I need help connecting my wifi router to my computer.Tried connecting but there is no internet connection in my computer through the router ethernet cable.Therefore no wifi.Tried doing most of the steps shown in the internet.

When I inserted router installation cd it is showing a network device driver error.Plus my router is not displayed under network adapters in device manager.Please help
Old 7th May 2012, 17:44   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

You are trying to connect by a cable?
Quote:
When I inserted router installation cd
You should not need to do anything like that.
Quote:
.Plus my router is not displayed under network adapters
No, it won't be. You do not install a router on a PC. "Network Adapters" refers to your network card, most likely built in to your motherboard, that's the thing you plugged the ethernet cable into.

Please help the helpers by stating your operating system and version.

Assuming it's Windows, If you can open a command window and do

C:\> IPCONFIG /all

please cut and paste the response.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 7th May 2012 at 17:45.
Old 8th May 2012, 14:43   #358
BHPian

Thank you for the response.Im using windows 7 ultimate edition.This is what it displayed in command prompt.Currently connected only modem.

C:\Users\G Unit>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : GUnit-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E
Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-1D-18-AE-5C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6985:ea24:a923:8497%11(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 234890269
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-17-03-96-98-00-24-1D-18-AE-5C

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 125.22.47.125
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter isatap.{64028ECB-4C15-4952-8BCF-5666D1616347}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e76:48c:1c29:8558:f549(Prefe
rred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::48c:1c29:8558:f549%12(Preferred)
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

C:\Users\G Unit>
Old 8th May 2012, 18:18   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

I gave up Windows at XP, one of the up-to-date guys should comment please, but
Quote:
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Looks fine to me.

Three things.

One is to carefully check the label, probably on the bottom of your router. It should give the factory-configured ip address of the router. Usually they come as 192.168.1.1, but occasionally they can be 192.169.0.1.

If it does say 192.168.1.1 please try

C:\> ping 192.168.1.1 and show the output.

Third thing is to type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar of your browser. You should get the router's login/administration pages
Old 8th May 2012, 18:25   #360
Senior - BHPian

I have bought a Belkin router, a pretty basic one and was able to connect it and am now using it fine.

Now this router comes with an access key which I entered once during installation. It is however around/ less than 10 digits and I am super paranoid about someone else being able to access my internet connection

Is there anyway I can have one more password level, say at connection time? This will also help as a child safety thing at home. Though I have blocked it a browser level, these days its better to be doubly sure; kids learn too fast!

TIA

Most Viewed