Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2012, 11:10   #451
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

I have a question for the experts here -

Here is my setup.
  • A Linksys Cisco E3200 wifi router.
  • A MacbookPro running OS X Lion 10.7.4.
  • A Seagate GoFlex 1TB hard drive connected to wifi router via the USB port.
When I try to transfer data from my MBP to the HDD, the data transfer rate is very low. I'm getting around 3MB/s write speed. This is very slow compared to the speed I get when HDD is directly connected to the MBP.

The HDD is NTFS formatted. And the router provides access to HDD using Samba share. So I connect to the HDD using smb://.

What is the limiting factor here affecting the data transfer rate?
Old 13th September 2012, 12:12   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
What is the limiting factor here affecting the data transfer rate?
Most probably its the CPU on E3200.

To validate

1. Disconnect internet and turn off all Encryption/ firewalls/ QOS. If you get better speeds, then nothing can be done.
2. Format a pen-drive with a Linux friendly filesystem like Ext2. See if you get better speeds. NFTS driver is a burden on CPU for this router.
3. Connect MBP to a Ethernet port on router and see if you get better speeds

If you get better speeds with #2 or #3, then setup can be tweaked.
Old 13th September 2012, 14:24   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Hi all,

Well this is to inform you regarding Linksys service in India. I purchased a Linksys E4200 top of the line wireless router for ~10k in June 2011, now after 1 year and 2months later the router has conked off.
So any suggestions how i can take this forward?
Is your router getting powered on? I have an ancient WRT54G which just refuses to die. Has served me for more than 5 years. The only issues I had was to change the power adapter (locally made ones with almost similar amp but same voltage) twice. And it covers both my floors although the speed in second floor is not that great. Try and check with a different adapter.
Old 13th September 2012, 16:18   #454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
As NetfreakBombay has already pointed out these things run of a single PCB board and troubleshooting them and repairing them is as expensive as buying a new one. Thankfully my Swift or any of my cars for that matter do not run on a single PCV board.

Or you could also try doing a factory reset and configure everything from scratch first if you are not sure/confident of flashing the firmware again.

Edit: I have at least 10 dead routers lying with me of various makes. And if my 3rd Linksys router dies when it is out of warranty I will just go and get a new one and this one will join the junk pile.
Check the DD-WRT site for your routers as long as it powers on, instead of buying one, you can just load the DD-WRT firmware.
Old 14th September 2012, 06:46   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Most probably its the CPU on E3200.

To validate

1. Disconnect internet and turn off all Encryption/ firewalls/ QOS. If you get better speeds, then nothing can be done.
2. Format a pen-drive with a Linux friendly filesystem like Ext2. See if you get better speeds. NFTS driver is a burden on CPU for this router.
3. Connect MBP to a Ethernet port on router and see if you get better speeds

If you get better speeds with #2 or #3, then setup can be tweaked.
One and 2 are not possible at the moment for me to try.

When I connect MBP directly to the ethernet port on router, I get double the speed. So most likely it is the wireless that is playing spoil sport here.

Another issue I'm facing is frequent disconnection of the storage from router. I have to unplug the drive and then plug it back in. The connection is not very consistent.

I'm thinking of flashing the router with DD-WRT, would it help?
Old 14th September 2012, 10:45   #456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
When I connect MBP directly to the ethernet port on router, I get double the speed. So most likely it is the wireless that is playing spoil sport here.
In that case, CPU is the most probable culprit. WPA2 + AES encryption takes its toll on smallish CPU present in this router.

Unfortunately, routers with decent chipsets (Better CPU and better I/O) cost much more.

You can definitely try DD-WRT or Tomato to see if that helps.
Old 16th September 2012, 06:35   #457
BHPian

I believe this is the right section to post my query?

I've gone ahead & ditched BSNL BB after 8 years. It's ACT BB now. It's not Adsl like bsnl or your standard airtel bb, it's DSL. Now i heard these routers cost Rs 1700/- onwards for good brands in S.P road bangalore.

My query is, as was noticed by me in these 8 years is that for the Adsl modem any basic modem which supported that tech worked properly, and all the fancy belkin & other stuff was a waste of money. Now these act guys are offering their routers (dsl) for 2000 rupees only, and my survey in the market showed up 1700 onwards.

Does anyone know of a sasta wifi dsl router? Something which doesn't cost 1700 or more?

I couldn't survey the market for a longer time hence this query. I believe there are better alternatives than the standard dsl modems.
Old 16th September 2012, 08:42   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Does anyone know of a sasta wifi dsl router? Something which doesn't cost 1700 or more?
TPLINK and D-Link have WiFi + ADSL (works with DSL too) modems in 1200 range. You can look at ebay / Flipkat for approx prices.
Old 17th September 2012, 11:19   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
I believe this is the right section to post my query?

I've gone ahead & ditched BSNL BB after 8 years. It's ACT BB now. It's not Adsl like bsnl or your standard airtel bb, it's DSL. Now i heard these routers cost Rs 1700/- onwards for good brands in S.P road bangalore.

My query is, as was noticed by me in these 8 years is that for the Adsl modem any basic modem which supported that tech worked properly, and all the fancy belkin & other stuff was a waste of money. Now these act guys are offering their routers (dsl) for 2000 rupees only, and my survey in the market showed up 1700 onwards.

I couldn't survey the market for a longer time hence this query. I believe there are better alternatives than the standard dsl modems.
Quote:
TPLINK and D-Link have WiFi + ADSL (works with DSL too) modems in 1200 range. You can look at ebay / Flipkat for approx prices.
If you decide for TP-link, dont goto SP road, buy it online from ebay.

Apparently there is only 1 (greedy)distributor for TP link in bangalore and he demands his own price(sometimes higher than MRP) with no retailer discount, which the retailer shops usually give from their margins.
Old 17th September 2012, 11:52   #460
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone here have an experience with 3G-Wifi Routers?
I am currently using Airtel broadband at home and I am totally PI**ED off with their bandwidth and fair usage policy. My billing cycle runs from 11th of every month and on 13th I am getting between 128-256 KBPS on what is supposed to be a 2 MBPS line. Anyways, nuff said about Airtel.

I have firmly made up my mind to go the 3G route and ditch a Grounded Internet connection for my home.
I typically stay in a 2000 sq. ft. apartment and need a 3G Sim Based Wifi Router.
I need to be able to connect up to 5 devices on it at a time.
Most of the stuff I have been able to look up so far are the portable variety and I'm not sure if they would be able to service a 2000 sq. ft. space effectively.

Can I have some suggestions on what to buy? I would like to limit my spend to within 8K.
Old 17th September 2012, 12:18   #461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Most of the stuff I have been able to look up so far are the portable variety and I'm not sure if they would be able to service a 2000 sq. ft.
These routers wont be able to support 5 devices. Pick up the cheapest one that has Ethernet port and use that with your existing WiFi router.

OT: Did you find any 3G provider that has better plans as compared to your existing ADSL connection?
Old 17th September 2012, 12:57   #462
BHPian

Quote:

I bought myself 3G wifi router from flipkart a few days back. I am using it with my vodafone 3G usb dongle. I could connect 2 laptops and get speeds of around 1 mbps. The limiting factor here is the modem because the router is rated for 150mbps. The speedtest.net shows the internet speed of over 3mbps but in practice it is not the case.
Old 17th September 2012, 14:43   #463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am currently using Airtel broadband at home and I am totally PI**ED off with their bandwidth and fair usage policy. My billing cycle runs from 11th of every month and on 13th I am getting between 128-256 KBPS on what is supposed to be a 2 MBPS line. Anyways, nuff said about Airtel.

I have firmly made up my mind to go the 3G route and ditch a Grounded Internet connection for my home.
I typically stay in a 2000 sq. ft. apartment and need a 3G Sim Based Wifi Router.
I need to be able to connect up to 5 devices on it at a time.
Most of the stuff I have been able to look up so far are the portable variety and I'm not sure if they would be able to service a 2000 sq. ft. space effectively.

Can I have some suggestions on what to buy? I would like to limit my spend to within 8K.
You can buy any wifi 3G router but preferably buy a 5Ghz router as the channels are getting congested in 2.4ghz specifically in apartments.

Device connectivity will not be a problem but your 3G bandwidth will be, go for a 4G dongle if you get that service there.

For servicing a 2000 sqft apartment through wifi, I would suggest a central placement for most coverage and a higher antenna placement(apprx 6ft height), also replace your 2.4ghz routers wifi's external antenna with a 8 dBi indoor antenna for greater coverage.
Old 17th September 2012, 14:52   #464
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
For servicing a 2000 sqft apartment through wifi, I would suggest a central placement for most coverage and a higher antenna placement(apprx 6ft height), also replace your 2.4ghz routers wifi's external antenna with a 8 dBi indoor antenna for greater coverage.
Thanks a bunch for this information. That antenna you just mentioned is a boom as per the reviews that I quicklywent through. Do you have a recommendation if the same 2000sqft house had a FIRST FLOOR too? Would the omnidirectional antenna work? Or do I need repeaters?
Old 17th September 2012, 14:58   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These routers wont be able to support 5 devices. Pick up the cheapest one that has Ethernet port and use that with your existing WiFi router.

OT: Did you find any 3G provider that has better plans as compared to your existing ADSL connection?
Hi Netfreak - Thanks. The routers I have seen from Huawei or Micromax, purportedly support five devices concurrently. My only problem is that these are portable routers and may (most certainly) have a limited range.

Regarding the pricing of 3G plans, I am not a big downloader. I know I can safely stay withing a 2-3 GB limit a month. The important criteria for me is speed and connection stability and even if it costs double of what i pay Airtel, I would say it is worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
I bought myself 3G wifi router from flipkart a few days back. I am using it with my vodafone 3G usb dongle. I could connect 2 laptops and get speeds of around 1 mbps. The limiting factor here is the modem because the router is rated for 150mbps. The speedtest.net shows the internet speed of over 3mbps but in practice it is not the case.
Thanks. Please can you let me know which brand and model this is. Are you using it at home, or while travelling? 1 MBPS is fantastic for my needs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You can buy any wifi 3G router but preferably buy a 5Ghz router as the channels are getting congested in 2.4ghz specifically in apartments.

Device connectivity will not be a problem but your 3G bandwidth will be, go for a 4G dongle if you get that service there.

Thanks. Please can you suggest some brands for these routers? I do not get 4G connectivity in Delhi, so I'll have to stay with 3G. From what I have seen of my 3G (Vodafone) and when I tether other devices to it using my phone (HOS), the net performance I end up getting for each device is more than sufficient for me. My WiFi is almost always slower!

Last edited by roy_libran : 17th September 2012 at 14:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks