Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2014, 12:35   #796
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
What I heard is that Apple Airport extreme works only with apple devices, while have iPad, iPod...
Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post
Sorry Airprint would be supported only when the connected printer supports airprint not otherwise. You can find a list of supported printers here
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4356

@manjupb In your first quote you said the budget was 6-8k, so that puts Airport Extreme out of the list. I think you are now talking about Airport Express.

In addition to whatever you need you also will get Airplay with Airport Express. i.e. Plug in an Amp/Speakers and you can stream music from any iTunes source. Also note that the USB port on the A.Exp can be used only for Printing, and cannot be used to share an external HDD like other routers.

Why don't you look at TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 N600 ?
It is dual band , has wireless print sharing, supports USB external HDD, within your budget.

Last edited by Fillmore : 3rd April 2014 at 12:58. Reason: changed the suggestion to a better model.
Old 5th April 2014, 04:39   #797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
Thanks. Ordered the same at FKart yesterday costing 2010 INR.
Congrats Blorebuddy! While I was researching to buy a decent modem with router, I found that the D-link DSL 2750U sold in FKart showed a smaller 3dBi antenna vs the amazon which showed a larger 5dBi antenna.

Also the product with the 5dBi antenna is the latest hardware (Ver 2.) of the product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
I recently bought a D-link DSL 2750U modem-router through Amazon to go wifi for my MTNL broadband connection.
Congrats Lij! Can you please let us know if you got the one with the 5dBi antenna? Also any comment on the WiFi Range, Wifi stability and ADSL Link Stability of this router? A short review would be very useful...
Old 5th April 2014, 22:08   #798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramhere View Post
Congrats Blorebuddy! While I was researching to buy a decent modem with router, I found that the D-link DSL 2750U sold in FKart showed a smaller 3dBi antenna vs the amazon which showed a larger 5dBi antenna.

Also the product with the 5dBi antenna is the latest hardware (Ver 2.) of the product.
I could not find any details about the antenna. Anyways I cannot do anything now. This works well and meets my requirement for now. I also noticed the price in amazon has come down today
Old 6th April 2014, 01:04   #799
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Lij! Can you please let us know if you got the one with the 5dBi antenna? Also any comment on the WiFi Range, Wifi stability and ADSL Link Stability of this router? A short review would be very useful...
Thanks Vikram, yes even I read on one of the reviews in FK that the user got a 3dBi antenna pair. So I bought it from Amazon and received a 5 dBi one. Some times it helps reading up most of the user reviews on such online stores
Old 7th April 2014, 11:11   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
Thanks Vikram, yes even I read on one of the reviews in FK that the user got a 3dBi antenna pair. So I bought it from Amazon and received a 5 dBi one. Some times it helps reading up most of the user reviews on such online stores
I'm also looking for a similar wifi modem and router combination for my airtel broadband as the wifi router given by them is not functioning properly and is out of warranty. Any thumb rule how to identify the 5 dbi and the 3 dbi antenna ones. Thanks.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 7th April 2014 at 11:17.
Old 7th April 2014, 23:55   #801
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Also any comment on the WiFi Range, Wifi stability and ADSL Link Stability of this router? A short review would be very useful...
Hi Vikram, sorry forgot about your second part of the question. Yes wifi range is adequate for my home as I mentioned previously. Never encountered wifi disconnect over last 2 months nor any issues with ADSL link. I usually have atleast 3 devices connected and have always been satisfied with the performance.

Initial setup took couple of days as I was not getting internet link. Then on checking with the online chat support of D-link, they told me to do a factory reset and it did work setting up after that

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
I'm also looking for a similar wifi modem and router combination for my airtel broadband as the wifi router given by them is not functioning properly and is out of warranty. Any thumb rule how to identify the 5 dbi and the 3 dbi antenna ones. Thanks.
If you check the images on both Amazon and FK you'll see that the size of antenna in FK is smaller than that on Amazon. The 5dBi one is around 5 inches in length, the one which I have.
Old 14th April 2014, 19:52   #802
Senior - BHPian

Few questions,

1. Does a WIFI router also have a life span? Mine is around 5 years old BEETLE ADSL2 modem+router that came with Airtel. In a 2BHK apartment, the signal does not reach all corners.
2. The Router is placed near a LED TV, close to two speakers of a home theater System. Its a open set up and no obstructions.
3. The WLAN light on the modem continuously flickers, I thought only the internet light should flicker, not sure though.

Please suggest if it is time to repair/replace this. I use it with a BSNL connection now.

Last edited by dass : 14th April 2014 at 20:22.
Old 14th April 2014, 20:13   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Few questions,

1. Does a WIFI router also have a life span? Mine is around 5 years old BELKIN ADSL2 modem+router that came with Airtel. In a 2BHK apartment, the signal does not reach all corners.
2. The Router is placed near a LED TV, close to two speakers of a home theater System. Its a open set up and no obstructions.
3. The WLAN light on the modem continuously flickers, I thought only the internet light should flicker, not sure though.

Please suggest if it is time to repair/replace this. I use it with a BSNL connection now.
1. As long as the electronics lasts it. Quite possible that there may be a upload/download speed limit with the modem, and your ISP/you might have upgraded your internet speed. In which case you may not get the max potential.
2. Should not be an issue.
3. WLAN, like the LAN lights, may flicker if data transmission occurs. Normal in most modems, unless this did not happen earlier.

Even I use BSNL, and the first thing I did was replace their stock modem. It was ugly and had very low range.
Old 15th April 2014, 08:22   #804
BHPian

Quote:
Got the D-Link 2750U from Amazon. The firmware for the same is mentioned as IN_1.08 with date of May 2013. From, the D-Link website, for the same model, the current firmware is IN_1.10, but with date of Aug 2011. Should I update the firmware or not as the version no from the website is later but with older date. Has anyone updated their routers firmware? Thanks.
Old 15th April 2014, 11:15   #805
BHPian

Quote:
Got the D-Link 2750U from Amazon. The firmware for the same is mentioned as IN_1.08 with date of May 2013. From, the D-Link website, for the same model, the current firmware is IN_1.10, but with date of Aug 2011. Should I update the firmware or not as the version no from the website is later but with older date. Has anyone updated their routers firmware? Thanks.
I had purchased the same router long ago, almost a year and half, and yet received the latest firmware (1.10). You may upgrade the firmware, but don't expect a good change in the user interface. It is not very user friendly for novices!

Are you looking on the indian website?

Last edited by akshay87kumar : 15th April 2014 at 11:16.
Old 15th April 2014, 12:42   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay87kumar View Post
I had purchased the same router long ago, almost a year and half, and yet received the latest firmware (1.10). You may upgrade the firmware, but don't expect a good change in the user interface. It is not very user friendly for novices!

Are you looking on the indian website?
Yes, I've checked on D-Link indian website at http://www.dlink.co.in/products/?pid=452 under support --> firmware.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 15th April 2014 at 12:44.
Old 30th April 2014, 17:43   #807
BHPian

Guys, looking for a wireless router for my small office where I am connecting about 25 m/c's through LAN using a switch and about 4 to 5 laptops via wireless.

Earlier was using Airtel DSL connection and for the same was using D-link 2750 model router and for 2.5 k, it worked effortlessly. Unfortunately, was not happy with Airtel and hence shifted over to ACT. Pretty happy with speeds but, the Cisco E900 that I am using to connect so many machines is just not working out.

The Cisco router hangs every few hours and I need to power off and power on.
Wanted advice on which other higher model of Cisco routers you guys recommend or how about D-link DIR series?

Cheers
Old 30th April 2014, 18:29   #808
BHPian

I have been using NETGEAR900 for an year now. Incredibly fast, reliable and one of the best selling wifi routers here in Germany.

http://www.in.netgear.com/home/produ.../WNDR4500.aspx

They are available in India too. Check out.
Old 15th May 2014, 19:48   #809
Senior - BHPian

Team, What are the reliable models for ADSL type connection? Need good range. Around 2K budget.
Old 15th May 2014, 20:01   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Team, What are the reliable models for ADSL type connection? Need good range. Around 2K budget.
For 2K or less, you will get N150 and N300 routers. Go for N300 routers for more (theoretical) speed.
D Link DSL 2750U, TP Link TD W896 are good routers. I personally use DSL2750, it has a USB port for storage/print server, 3G connection and a couple of other fancy features. This one manages to clear three concrete walls, for a very rough measure. For good range, go for N600 or above routers, though they will be beyond budget too!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks