Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2014, 21:34   #811
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Guys, got the WNR3000P or similar repeater/range extender from Netgear. Works pretty smooth, the wifi connectivity is much much better than my belkin.

The best part, it fits directly into the socket so no ugly wires as such!
Old 26th May 2014, 18:03   #812
Senior - BHPian

Experts.. which of the below two are better?

TP-Link TL-WR740N Wireless Router

D-Link DIR-600L Wireless N 150 Cloud Router

I have a BSNL connection and the current wifi+adsl router is around 6 years old and I get a feeling that it has outlived its age.

My primary requirement is consistent speed and good coverage over my 2 BHK flat. The router would be kept in the hall, on the TV unit, infront of a LED TV.
Old 27th May 2014, 21:37   #813
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post

Buy D-Link DIR-600L Wireless N 150 Cloud Router

Last edited by mithun : 27th May 2014 at 21:38.
Old 1st June 2014, 20:09   #814
BHPian

Quote:

I have a BSNL connection and the current wifi+adsl router is around 6 years old and I get a feeling that it has outlived its age.

My primary requirement is consistent speed and good coverage over my 2 BHK flat. The router would be kept in the hall, on the TV unit, infront of a LED TV.
I will suggest to go for TP-Link router. It has good range for wireless, better than D-Link. One more suggestion, keep the wireless channel fixed at 1. Observe for half an hour and if you are able to get uninterrupted network keep it like that. My friend is telecom engineer and he said channel 1 has highest range.
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:06   #815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
I will suggest to go for TP-Link router. It has good range for wireless, better than D-Link. One more suggestion, keep the wireless channel fixed at 1. Observe for half an hour and if you are able to get uninterrupted network keep it like that. My friend is telecom engineer and he said channel 1 has highest range.
Thanks TD, How do I chose the channel?
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:21   #816
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbodude View Post
My friend is telecom engineer and he said channel 1 has highest range.
I don't think the range is high on channel 1.
It depends on how many wifi networks in your vicinity are using the same channel to broadcast. The more networks using the same channel will cause you to get a lot of drops and interruptions.

You can do one thing, install an app like Wifi Analyzer (Android) , am sure you will find other apps / software's that you can use. It will show you how many wifi networks are in the vicinity and at what channel are they operating.

Then set your router to use a channel that is least used.
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:36   #817
BHPian

Quote:
Once at home, open a browser to http://192.168.1.1 from a system that is connected to a wired connection.

If it's BSNL, and you haven't changed the default password, the login will be "admin" and the password will be "admin" too, both without the quotes.

Once in, go to Wireless / Wireless Settings / Advanced Settings and see if you find the Channel Number section. Also, please make sure you have secured your wireless connection using a strong "key".

I am sure once you are logged in, you will figure these out. Also, take a back up of your current modem configuration (available on the left side Menu) once you are satisfied that everything is working as expected.

I use an app "Wifi Analyzer" on my Android phone that clearly tells me which channel is the least congested. I make sure to run my wi-fi on that channel.

If you have 6 flats on a floor, and all run on channel 1, that is not an ideal situation to be in.

You can get started by referring to the links below, and making suitable modifications at your end - these are for illustration purpose only

http://www.techno18.com/2011/05/how-...wifi-and-wlan/

http://tech.firstpost.com/watch-vide...xggaH6tmc.html
Old 2nd June 2014, 15:42   #818
BHPian

Quote:
Every router has its own web server. By default its located at http://192.168.1.1 (check your router manual for details, it varies with model). You can log into the router and in wireless settings section channel selection can be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
I don't think the range is high on channel 1.
It depends on how many wifi networks in your vicinity are using the same channel to broadcast.
I have addressed this issue already. If there are too many devices transmitting on this channel, user will experience packet drops and that's why you have to observe for half an hour. Many routers have channel setting at automatic by default hence your router transmitting at channel 1 will force nearby routers to select another channel.
Old 8th June 2014, 02:11   #819
BHPian

Hi,

My 5 year old dlink dir 300 died last night. It served me really well providing connection to 4 mobiles, 2 tablets and 4 laptops. Internet connection used is ACT Broadband .

Which the ideal replacement router? I need good Range in a 3 bedroom flat of size 1300sqft, Reliability as I work from home and 1 usb port to connect either an external hard disk, 3g dongle or a usb printer.

Looking for an extremely value for money deal.

MaSh
Old 8th June 2014, 10:14   #820
BHPian

My rt n16 recently died and I got an n56 from Asus as a replacement. I just could not get it to work as stable as I wanted it to. Finally I returned that and bought a n14uhp. This is a beast of a router and easily covers two floors in my house. I am sure it goes to the upstairs flat as well. It does not have all the extra things that some people may want, but it has good range and that's very important for me. The connection is also very stable.
Old 12th June 2014, 19:55   #821
Senior - BHPian

My TP-Link Router is dying in less then an year , Wired LAN interface and ADSL modem is working fine but WiFi SSID disappears randomly and also WiFi indicator LED goes blank , If I switch off and let the router cool for an hour it comes up again may be around 60% of the time.

Earlier I had buffalo G router and it worked flawlessly for 6 years before I replaced it with TPLink N router. I had similar heating issue with Huawei ADSL modem which I used with buffalo G router

So lessen learnt say no to Chinese router / modems.
Old 12th June 2014, 20:52   #822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
My TP-Link Router is dying in less then an year.
Oh thats not good news for me. I recently bought TP-Link wifi router-TL-WR740N. Its been 4 days and so far its been running OK, serving 5 mobiles and two laptops. The router is Always On, except for a few minutes when change over happens between main power and generator backup. I however had higher expectations on the signal spread, considering it has something called 5dbi antenna. I see no difference compared to the DLink Dir 300 it replaced. My Dlink served me extremely well for good 6 years. The thundershowers killed it.

I notice fluctuating wifi signal on my devices, also the strength is lesser than what was provided by Dlink. Is there any setting that can improve the strength?

MaSh
Old 16th June 2014, 20:31   #823
BHPian

Currently I am running BSNL broadband connection with Modem and router separately. Both are old now. I want to replace both of them with single instrument Modem + Wireless router. Can you suggest something good with ~ 1500 Rs.
Old 16th June 2014, 22:15   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arin_12 View Post
Currently I am running BSNL broadband connection with Modem and router separately. Both are old now. I want to replace both of them with single instrument Modem + Wireless router. Can you suggest something good with ~ 1500 Rs.
It will perhaps be difficult to find something within Rs. 1500
D-Link DSL-2730U is the cheapest router I personally know. Try finding some routers from TP Link.
Old 19th June 2014, 20:22   #825
BHPian

Currently own a Belkin wifi router, been working for the last 4 years. Only hiccup is the wifi range. Now with my Beam connection, facing lot of interruptions. Had to restart to correct it.
I am in a 2bhk, the router is placed in the middle(hall to dining area) at 2ft roof level. I am not getting strong signal in my master bedroom corner areas which is atleast 15ft apart.
Which router would suffice my need?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks