Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2014, 22:06   #871
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Guys,

I am facing a peculiar issue with my internet connection at home. I am able to open all website fine on my laptop and most of them open just fine on my mobile phone as well. Among these there are few website like Engadget which refuse to open. The browser progress indicator stops and if I then stop and reload the website I can see partially loaded website. What could the problem be?
Attachment 1269308

Attachment 1269309
Guys,

Any insights here? Also posting the tracery result for engadget.com. This thing is eating my head now.
traceroute to engadget.com (205.188.101.58) ,30 hops max,40 byte packet
1 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) <10.0 ms <10.0 ms <10.0 ms
2 172.20.30.1 (172.20.30.1) <10.0 ms <10.0 ms <10.0 ms
3 27.124.29.105 (27.124.29.105) <10.0 ms 30. 0 ms <10.0 ms
4 27.124.40.1 (27.124.40.1) 10. 0 ms <10.0 ms <10.0 ms
5 182.74.10.37 (182.74.10.37) 110. 0 ms 30. 0 ms 30. 0 ms
6 59.144.36.194 (59.144.36.194) 290. 0 ms 280. 0 ms 270. 0 ms
7 77.67.71.117 (77.67.71.117) 310. 0 ms 320. 0 ms 310. 0 ms
8 89.149.185.14 (89.149.185.14) 310. 0 ms 320. 0 ms 310. 0 ms
9 66.185.141.241 (66.185.141.241) 290. 0 ms 280. 0 ms 270. 0 ms
10 66.185.141.78 (66.185.141.78) 280. 0 ms 300. 0 ms 280. 0 ms
11 66.185.150.38 (66.185.150.38) 280. 0 ms 280. 0 ms 290. 0 ms
12 149.174.32.214 (149.174.32.214) 280. 0 ms 270. 0 ms 280. 0 ms
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
Old 4th August 2014, 09:46   #872
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

I am facing a peculiar issue with my internet connection at home. I am able to open all website fine on my laptop and most of them open just fine on my mobile phone as well. Among these there are few website like Engadget which refuse to open. The browser progress indicator stops and if I then stop and reload the website I can see partially loaded website. What could the problem be?
Sounds like an app on your phone is interfering with the connection - do you have any Antivirus, Ad Blocker or similar software installed?

Does this happen only at your home? Which phone, OS version and browser are you using? The screenshots look like Chrome on Android KitKat (Nexus 5?), correct?

Do you see this behaviour on all browsers? Install another one - Firefox, say - and see.

It requires a bit of trial and error to identify the culprit.
Old 4th August 2014, 09:57   #873
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Sounds like an app on your phone is interfering with the connection - do you have any Antivirus, Ad Blocker or similar software installed?

Does this happen only at your home? Which phone, OS version and browser are you using? The screenshots look like Chrome on Android KitKat (Nexus 5?), correct?

Do you see this behaviour on all browsers? Install another one - Firefox, say - and see.

It requires a bit of trial and error to identify the culprit.
It has also started happening on my laptop now :(
It happens only at my home connection. I have two phones, a Nexus 5 and iPhone 4s and this happens on both of them.
Old 4th August 2014, 10:06   #874
BHPian

Quote:
It has also started happening on my laptop now :(
It happens only at my home connection. I have two phones, a Nexus 5 and iPhone 4s and this happens on both of them.
I think its either caching or cookie issue, what I do as a cheat trick is to google an article in that website and try access it via that URL. Try if this opens for you
http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/01/a...-and-8-review/
Old 4th August 2014, 18:09   #875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I think its either caching or cookie issue, what I do as a cheat trick is to google an article in that website and try access it via that URL. Try if this opens for you
http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/01/a...-and-8-review/
No this one not opening as well. The issue is getting stranger now. I have now checked it on more than 7 devices with varying results. The website in question is engadget.com since I am able to replicate the issue consistently with this one.

The websites open fine on my windows phone but they do not on either the Nexus 5 or iPhone 4S.
The website does not open on my MacBook Air but has absolutely no issues on my office laptop.

I am totally whacked out as to what could be wrong here. I have already deleted cookies and website data including passwords. Still no luck :(
Old 4th August 2014, 18:25   #876
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgopal View Post
To improve the range, do I hide the network name(SSID) in settings? I too have a limited range in my flat.
Hiding the network name from being broadcasted is a security measure. About increasing the range of your network you can do a few things. I am assuming you already have a router that you don't want to change. In such a case you can do the below.
* Take a hard look at your apartment's layout. Ideally, you should put the router in center of the house rather than in a corner
* It is always a good idea to place the router higher than 6 feet
* Use one of the network inspection tools (many free ones are available) to find out the different channels and the congestion. Choose the one which has the least noise
* Finally, consider a repeater or a bridging arrangement if your apartment is too big

Quote:
The websites open fine on my windows phone but they do not on either the Nexus 5 or iPhone 4S.
The website does not open on my MacBook Air but has absolutely no issues on my office laptop.
(
Is it correct to assume that you exclusively use Internet Explorer (or one of the derived engines) while working on Windows Phone and Office Laptop?

Last edited by Zappo : 4th August 2014 at 18:27.
Old 4th August 2014, 20:52   #877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No this one not opening as well. The issue is getting stranger now. I have now checked it on more than 7 devices with varying results. The website in question is engadget.com since I am able to replicate the issue consistently with this one.

I am totally whacked out as to what could be wrong here. I have already deleted cookies and website data including passwords. Still no luck :(
This is just pure speculation on my part but

Try setting OpenDNS or Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ) as your DNS server.

Usually websites which get lots of hits are multiteanented, They may have a load balancer and then a Content Distribution Network which redirects as per the client being used.In this case you get problem from webkit based browsers.

Your DNS first resolves it to an IP which redirects you to another based on many factors such as load and possibly the browser UA string ( CDN may take care of this) and finally to 149.174.32.214 which is not responding.

So suppose If you use another DNS it is possible that first resolved IP is different and also subsequent redirections will be to different servers and you will be able to get a reachable IP for your browsers.

I was getting similar problem for rediff.com and samachar.com using Hathway broadband default DNS later I changed to OpenDNS which was still not properly resolving few sites later Google DNS worked fine.
Old 5th August 2014, 13:26   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think you should eliminate the Wifi from the equation; hook up your Internet connection directly to your computer and check. If the problem still persists then you need to escalate to your ISP (Noida STPL???)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Hiding the network name from being broadcasted is a security measure.
Third time in as many days - this is untrue and misinformation. There is no security benefit to be had by doing this.
Old 5th August 2014, 14:34   #879
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Third time in as many days - this is untrue and misinformation. There is no security benefit to be had by doing this.
Stop reading too many of the those How-To-Geek type of articles really. Or at least dont believe every logic that everyone tries to give you just to make a point. For every thing in the world there are naysayers who will try to stretch the logic to explain how it can be reversed/broken etc.

Nothing in this world is secured. Not even Fort Knox. You can only keep adding to difficulties so that the time required to break in keeps going up. Its the same reason people add multiple anti theft devices in their cars. Just because its a simple job for those who know how to do break into your remote locked car do you really stop installing the remote locking feature? No.

Coming back to a hidden SSID, it makes any casual clicker from even knowing that your network is on the air. A little more inquisitive ones will know some unknown/hidden networks are online. But they can't also do much because to even try anything they fist need to know the station name.

Yes... a persistent and real drive-by hacker (the ones who sit inside a panel van in a neighborhood and scan for open networks) can figure out your network name in 5-10 mins with the right tools and hopefully by finding a white listed device that will come in the range and ping your non-broadcasting station's name. But then typically, he will have to spend another good 10 mins to figure out the password, and if its a strong password even more time. And then if you have a filter list he is done in. Yes... you can always argue he can find out one of the whitelisted Mac IDs and then try to impersonate. The point is those type of characters dont like to sit around and spend 20 mins to try to crack open a network with no guarantees when they know fishing around with a scanner will get them too many gullible folks in those 20 mins.

The point here is, you add each measure as an incremental difficulty level to dissuade a person from trying anything funny. The real professional ones who drive around to search for networks to piggyback on have far easier victims to pick than keep spending so much time on your network.

I hope that helps you understand why hiding the station from broadcasting is a fairly good initial safety measure.

Last edited by Zappo : 5th August 2014 at 14:43.
Old 5th August 2014, 14:42   #880
BHPian

Guys, does anyone of you have experience of using a router that has built in bit torrent client? And it can be connected to a external hard disk? How good/reliable is to use such a router to download content when the PC is off?

If yes, kindly share the price of the router as well.
Old 5th August 2014, 14:43   #881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Coming back to a hidden SSID, it makes any casual clicker from even knowing that your network is on the air. A little more inquisitive ones will know some unknown/hidden networks are online. But they can't also do much because to even try anything they fist need to know the station name.
That is quite the wrong position to take, because the casual clicker is not the threat. The threat are those who hook to others' Wifi and send out bomb threats, extortion emails and similar stuff. The ones that cause significant harassment to the Wifi owner.

Hiding SSID only increases inconvenience with no security benefits. If you disagree so violently I'd rather continue this on PM.
Old 5th August 2014, 16:28   #882
Senior - BHPian

How is the Airtel 4G Router in Calcutta?

I am planning to get the Airtel 4G connection at home here in Calcutta and I am opting for the router as I will be using 2/3 machines. They are offering the Huwaei router right now. Any opinion on the quality of service, connection etc? I am an Airtel mobile phone user for the last 12 years or so and am very satisfied with their quality. Can I expect the same on 4G?
I hope I posted in the correct thread.
Old 5th August 2014, 16:30   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
This is just pure speculation on my part but

Try setting OpenDNS or Google DNS ( 8.8.8.8 ) as your DNS server.

Usually websites which get lots of hits are multiteanented, They may have a load balancer and then a Content Distribution Network which redirects as per the client being used.In this case you get problem from webkit based browsers.

Your DNS first resolves it to an IP which redirects you to another based on many factors such as load and possibly the browser UA string ( CDN may take care of this) and finally to 149.174.32.214 which is not responding.

So suppose If you use another DNS it is possible that first resolved IP is different and also subsequent redirections will be to different servers and you will be able to get a reachable IP for your browsers.

I was getting similar problem for rediff.com and samachar.com using Hathway broadband default DNS later I changed to OpenDNS which was still not properly resolving few sites later Google DNS worked fine.
I checked with the dns changed to google's 8.8.8.8 on my Macbook but the problem persisted. So as of now I can browse any website if I connect my office laptop to the same Wifi network, the problem remains as it is on my Nexus 5, MacBook Air and iPhone 4s. I have a theory here which may be wrong but I feel that all my regularly connected devices are having the issue. I rarely connect my office laptop to my home Wifi and it is working fine. Can an ISP do that? The mac address will be shown of my router on which the connection is coming and getting distributed.

My internet connection is delivered wirelessly to a router/modem installed on my roof and then from there through a wire to my router which then distributes the connection via Wifi.

Quote:
I think you should eliminate the Wifi from the equation; hook up your Internet connection directly to your computer and check. If the problem still persists then you need to escalate to your ISP (Noida STPL???)
As I said the connection is working fine on my office laptop :(
Old 5th August 2014, 17:25   #884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I checked with the dns changed to google's 8.8.8.8 on my Macbook but the problem persisted. So as of now I can browse any website if I connect my office laptop to the same Wifi network, the problem remains as it is on my Nexus 5, MacBook Air and iPhone 4s. I have a theory here which may be wrong but I feel that all my regularly connected devices are having the issue. I rarely connect my office laptop to my home Wifi and it is working fine. Can an ISP do that? The mac address will be shown of my router on which the connection is coming and getting distributed.

My internet connection is delivered wirelessly to a router/modem installed on my roof and then from there through a wire to my router which then distributes the connection via Wifi.
Yes ISP can do this , In fact hathway is the one who does it.

They keep record of MAC address of the device from where you registered first. So you need to logout and log-in again from a new device.
Other option is to pay extra and get a static IP for your router.

Solution is to clone mac address of your working device on the WiFi router.
This way traffic on WAN side from all devices carry same mac address.
Old 5th August 2014, 17:34   #885
BHPian

Re: How is the Airtel 4G Router in Calcutta?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I am planning to get the Airtel 4G connection at home here in Calcutta and I am opting for the router as I will be using 2/3 machines. They are offering the Huwaei router right now. Any opinion on the quality of service, connection etc? I am an Airtel mobile phone user for the last 12 years or so and am very satisfied with their quality. Can I expect the same on 4G?
I hope I posted in the correct thread.
I had used a Huwaei Wifi Router earlier (3 years back) in the US without any issues. I currently have a Belkin N (surf) router that I got for about 1200 Rs 3 years ago and its been serving me very well.

We have 5 devices at home, 3 phones and 2 laptops and use Wifi extensively (monthly usage is around 6 GB all devices combined) and I have not had any problems with the device. Belkin also has a very good and reliable range.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks