Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2014, 13:12   #931
Distinguished - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

All, any feedback on Airtel's 4G router? Believe it is a Huawei and locked to Airtel. Have no option as I don't have Airtel landlines in my area thereby leaving me only BSNL (want to avoid) and a shady cable TV (DSL) operator.

Have heard good reviews around my place - am concerned that the WiFi signal will not be strong enough all over my house - can I use any of my old hardware like TPL 8968 etc and build a bridge to amplify the same? Help!!

Last edited by itwasntme : 22nd September 2014 at 13:17. Reason: Clarifications
Old 27th September 2014, 21:53   #932
BHPian

I have a Reliance NetConnect dongle (ZTE AC2726). I am searching for a wireless router to configure with this. Can anyone suggest any model? I found TP Link TL-MR3220 as one option. They have my USB modem model listed in the compatibility list. Has any one here got any experience configuring AC2726 with this/or any other wireless router?

Thanks
Old 5th October 2014, 11:21   #933
BHPian

Is it possible for a router to act up when there are a lot of connections to it?
Old 5th October 2014, 17:33   #934
BANNED

Need some advice. I have a Den correction with a Netgear series 300 wifi router. Now the vendor is withdrawing support for Ethernet. Other than wireless there is no option. He haf offered to run a fibre to my house from his switch (giving me one poort), and put a fibre to ethernet down-converter in my house. Apparently, after this my connection will remain as such, no changes. Is it correct?
Old 7th October 2014, 15:27   #935
BHPian

My Belkin wifi router has conked i believe. It gets restarted every minute. Yet to reset it and try a direct connection.
If gone kaput, which one to choose from below, router to be used with Beam fiber.
1. Dlink Dir 600m
Flipkart - 955
Amazon - 920

2. Dlink Dir 600l
Amazon - 879

3. Tplink tl-wr740n
Flipkart - 926
Amazon - 695

4. Netgear n150
Flipkart - 949

Budget is below 1k
Old 7th October 2014, 16:24   #936
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Need some advice. I have a Den correction with a Netgear series 300 wifi router. Now the vendor is withdrawing support for Ethernet. Other than wireless there is no option. He haf offered to run a fibre to my house from his switch (giving me one poort), and put a fibre to ethernet down-converter in my house. Apparently, after this my connection will remain as such, no changes. Is it correct?
For fibre to ethernet I presume they will give a modem and you may have to use PPPoE settings in your router if it is PPPoE based

In case they use a captive portal like Hathway then PPPoE setup is not required and you need to enter user credentials in browser but that is a pain compared to PPPoE setting which is one time.
Old 7th October 2014, 20:26   #937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
All, any feedback on Airtel's 4G router?
Have heard good reviews around my place - am concerned that the WiFi signal will not be strong enough all over my house - can I use any of my old hardware like TPL 8968 etc and build a bridge to amplify the same? Help!!
Airtel's 4G router (Not sure of the model, it says ZTE on my year old router) is pretty poor so you probably need a better router sitting in front of it. I've basically turned off the 4G Wifi router and use it as a modem with a Belkin Wifi router as my main wifi router. Or you could just buy the dongle instead and use a Wifi router with that.

The big problem with Airtel 4G is its unpredictability. Blazing fast at times with 20mbps speeds and slow crawls otherwise. Lots of packet drops observed intermittently. And their plans are not exactly cheap. Rs. 2000 for a data limit of 40GB. And you are down to 64kbps if you exceed that rendering your connection unusable.

Recommend borrowing an Airtel router from a benevolent friend and testing it in your area for a couple of days. The Airtel guys will do a demo for you but that is too short to test anything beyond the fact that you have 4G coverage in your area. Try and get the BSNL connection going as well. If BSNL works, its reliability is usually far better.
Old 7th October 2014, 21:52   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
My Belkin wifi router has conked i believe. It gets restarted every minute. Yet to reset it and try a direct connection.
If gone kaput, which one to choose from below, router to be used with Beam fiber.
1. Dlink Dir 600m
Flipkart - 955
Amazon - 920

2. Dlink Dir 600l
Amazon - 879

3. Tplink tl-wr740n
Flipkart - 926
Amazon - 695

4. Netgear n150
Flipkart - 949

Budget is below 1k
Problem is, my router resets to its factory settings every now and then. Google asks to update the firmware, but when checked none available. What are my options now?
Old 8th October 2014, 10:23   #939
BHPian

Went ahead and booked the TP-Link TL-WR740N Wireless Router from Amazon for ₹695 with an additional 10% cashback for using SBI debit card. Item is yet to be dispatched. As of now, my Macbook Pro is acting as a wifi hotspot
Old 9th October 2014, 23:44   #940
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Went ahead and booked the TP-Link TL-WR740N Wireless Router from Amazon for ₹695 with an additional 10% cashback for using SBI debit card. Item is yet to be dispatched. As of now, my Macbook Pro is acting as a wifi hotspot
My WR740N just conked off yesterday, asked my around and was recommended D-Link.
Old 10th October 2014, 11:44   #941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
My WR740N just conked off yesterday, asked my around and was recommended D-Link.
I was abt to cancel this if the shipping didnt happen by today. But, morning it was shipped, so no plans if cancel. BTW, how long did it work for you?
Old 10th October 2014, 22:36   #942
BHPian

Hi Folks! Is anyone using TP-LINK TD-W8961ND Wireless N300 ADSL2+ Modem Router?

We are planning to replace our 3.5 yrs old, BSNL provided, VMC AN1020-21 model . Its working fine, but is now dated and doesnt reach every nook and corner of a 3BHK.

On the other hand, we have been using a TP Link with a 5db gain antenna at our home town and the performance has exceeded our expectations consistently.

The model that I am planning to short-list comes with two 5 db gain antennae.

Also, how about its compatibility with BSNL?

Your inputs are highly appreciated!

http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B008...d_i=1375427031

Last edited by Safety is Param : 10th October 2014 at 22:37.
Old 11th October 2014, 11:07   #943
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Well it will still be fast is my guess, because even with the down conversion since the input speed is high you should still get peak Ethernet speeds which is way higher than what traditional broadband connections offer.

Say upto max 100 mbps.

If you look at the Netflix guidelines
HD Streaming needs 5mbps
Ultra HD Streaming needs 25mbps

let us know what you are experiencing
Old 11th October 2014, 13:51   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
All, any feedback on Airtel's 4G router? Believe it is a Huawei and locked to Airtel. Have no option as I don't have Airtel landlines in my area thereby leaving me only BSNL (want to avoid) and a shady cable TV (DSL) operator.

+1 to @ranjitnair77 - Try to test the Signal for at least 24 hours or least for couple of hours, at the place where you're going to use it max. Airtel 4G is Good, but not trustworthy. The Speed fluctuates to the extremes.

Both Huawei or ZTE Routers are OK, but don't go for Beetel, which is a Single Band Router.
Old 11th October 2014, 20:11   #945
BHPian

Anyone has any suggestion for cheapest router which supports Repeater function out of box?

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks